Quantcast
City of Calgary Councilor Expense Scandal - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: City of Calgary Councilor Expense Scandal

Default City of Calgary Councilor Expense Scandal

So Ward 2 councilor and noted "fiscal hawk" Joe Magliocca is caught up in an expense scandal.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...ravel-expenses

Coun. Magliocca calls nonexistent guests on travel expenses a ‘clerical error'

Chestermere Coun. Yvette Kind (formerly Wagner) says she was surprised to learn her name was attached to a $331 bar tab at the Fairmont Le Château Frontenac for a meeting that she never attended. Kind said she met Magliocca for the first time at the conference, but they never met for drinks.

----

The incident has raised fresh questions about a trove of hosting receipts submitted by Magliocca from his trip to the Federation of Canadian Municipalities conference last spring.

---

But four elected officials listed on receipts submitted by Magliocca and obtained through a freedom of information request say they did not have meals or drinks purchased by him, nor were they present in the bars or restaurants identified on the receipts; and at least two people listed on the receipts said they couldn’t recall having ever met Magliocca.
    click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

Luckily we have an integrity commissioner to look into such things:

Integrity commissioner recuses himself from Magliocca expense probe, citing free meal with councillor

Magliocca’s ward expense disclosure shows $163 for a meal with integrity commissioner Sal LoVecchio at Franca’s Italian Specialties. LoVecchio said in a statement to Postmedia on Tuesday that the lunch on July 19, 2019, was “purely social” and not related to an investigation. LoVecchio said that when Magliocca offered to pay, he “did not object.”

“The taxpayers of the City of Calgary should not be paying for a social lunch of mine and I am deeply concerned to find out that this has occurred,” he said, noting he only learned of the expense in the past 24 hours.
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...461145?cmp=rss

Integrity commissioner's recusal leaves council scrambling to continue expenses probe

LoVecchio said that because he dined socially with the councillor, and the meal was expensed without his knowledge, he felt it would be inappropriate for him to handle the probe into Magliocca's expenses.

Coun. Jeff Davison said on Wednesday that recusal isn't good enough.

"I think at this point it's become very abundant that the integrity commissioner is not independent," he said.

"At no time should an integrity commissioner be meeting to have social lunches with any member of council."

Gondek said council members were told never to go for coffee or socialize at all with the integrity commissioner, who could potentially one day investigate complaints against them.

"When we have met with the integrity commissioner in the past, it's been made very clear that, 'When I talk to you, it'll be for reasons of an investigation,'" Gondek said.
    Joe did pay back some of the costs as "Money’s no object for me, trust me." But his $6400 expense also had rejected items on it (the other 9 people who were there averaged under $3000 of expenses).

Magliocca says he'll repay portion of Quebec travel expenses that included alcohol

Magliocca also expensed a $238 meal of steaks and wine with Brooks Mayor Barry Morishita.

Some of Magliocca’s receipts were ultimately rejected, according to the head of the co-ordinating committee of the councillors’ office.
    While Joe claims he has a bad memory 'because he's old' and that he asserted that his apology was 'the end of the matter' because apparently he gets to decide when the matter of expense fraud is over, things haven't been getting better for him.

Two more people say they didn't dine with Magliocca as pressure mounts on him to publicly explain expenses

The new cases — in addition to eight elected officials who said or confirmed through spokespeople they didn’t dine with Magliocca — make it 10 people in total who say they didn’t sit down with him despite being named on his receipts.

According to receipts obtained by Postmedia through a freedom of information request, Magliocca expensed a $138 meal at a restaurant called Cafe Hobbit on June 1, 2019, and listed an “E. Mendes” from Airbnb as the only guest. A spokesperson from Airbnb said four people from the company attended the FCM trade show, including a woman named Elizabeth Mendes, but their record of appointments from that day shows meetings with councillors from a different city, and no business with anyone from Calgary.

I've always disliked Magliocca because he's a populist, faux-fiscal hawk who's developer backed and supports sprawl, dislikes active transport, so it's always fun to see those types get caught up in these...transgressions.

Ward 2 has always been a disaster, Magliocca embodies it quite well, really.

Because he's old, fuck he's only like 55.

My Ride
    ute

Show me a politician that is a fiscal hawk, and I'll show you a politician that is a faux fiscal hawk.

Imagine what his CRA tax submission looks like!

$161 for lunch?, awaiting for beyond ballers to say that a lunch that expensive isn't abnormal.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by gatorade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    $161 for lunch?, awaiting for beyond ballers to say that a lunch that expensive isn't abnormal.
    Fracas is like Mercatos. Easy to rack up that much between 2 people plus wine. That said unless I had an expense account that allows for it, I wouldn’t go there for lunch haha.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

This is adorable, and so Canadian

Still has nothing on JT though

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Expensing alcohol at lunchtime on a work trip is kind of a no-no with most businesses. Isn't it?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Expensing alcohol at lunchtime on a work trip is kind of a no-no with most businesses. Isn't it?
    lol
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

He's Italian, question the wine and now you're suddenly offending his heritage.

My Ride
    Bicycle

I expect nothing less from greasy Joe.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Another lazy useless fuck whose time is due anyways.
    What goes around comes around I guess. Hope he chokes on a biscotti.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

No, no.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Last year we had an employee find out the tough way this rule (EPC for reference). But sorry you can't be on the clock charging the producer while submitting an Earls YMM receipt with several beers on it. For kicks he also thought it was fair if he charged extra time (plus fuel expenses) because he got his wife to drop/pick him up from the airport

We had similar with another guy coming back from Fort Sask trying to drink a beer at a dinner stop. We were taking turns driving too and he was going to be on duty on the way home to make matters worse. He was pretty miffed when the PM told the server to cancel his drink order then argued only 1 beer does nothing.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I feel like clear and transparent policies exist on this in many companies. Maybe not "most" I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

What's the probability of this going anywhere?

Feels like if "fraud" is the correct word to use, he ought to be gone already. Heard that there's some people asking for his resignation but if you ignore them long enough, some new shit will hit the fan and this becomes old news.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

It depends on where you work. I mean in the tech industry, I'm familiar with expense policies at a couple of companies and they're usually pretty strict. Our policy here is if alcohol is more than 10% of the bill without prior approval, it comes out of your pay check automatically.

Back in the heydays of O&G sales and investment banking, it was anything goes. Cash expenses for "entertainment" to buy hookers and blow would have zero problems getting approved.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    LNF

I would probably get in trouble with my work if there was no beer on a expensed lunch

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    It depends on where you work. I mean in the tech industry, I'm familiar with expense policies at a couple of companies and they're usually pretty strict. Our policy here is if alcohol is more than 10% of the bill without prior approval, it comes out of your pay check automatically.

Back in the heydays of O&G sales and investment banking, it was anything goes. Cash expenses for "entertainment" to buy hookers and blow would have zero problems getting approved.
    So...order lots of food.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post
    So...order lots of food.
    Interestingly enough, some people have done that in India because food is cheap and alcohol is expensive. So they basically go and waste food, in India, where hundreds of millions are starving.

I'm an asshole but that's way past my line.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast