Quantcast
City of Calgary Councilor Expense Scandal - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: City of Calgary Councilor Expense Scandal

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by rx7boi View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Radio says he went AWOL and skipped out on the 4 hour closed door meeting yesterday
    Or could it be about him so he's not allowed in?

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

@Xtrema I don't believe that to be the case. I also think that anyone who is the subject of accusation should have the opportunity to be involved in any discussions pertaining to said behaviour.

Magliocca’s absence

Magliocca was the only councillor who did not attend Wednesday’s meeting in person or over the phone.

Nenshi said he had not recently talked with Magliocca, and that he didn’t know where he was on Wednesday.

The mayor clarified that Magliocca was not banned from the meeting, but that the Ward 2 councillor could excuse himself from any future meetings involving his expenses.

“Under the rules, there is only one reason under which a councillor may exempt themselves from a meeting,” Nenshi said. “That’s if they’ve got a pecuniary or financial interest. But that is something that must be done in public… That did not happen today.”

Nenshi said Magliocca will be marked absent for Wednesday’s meeting.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6572434/c...ecial-meeting/
    Last edited by rx7boi; 02-20-2020 at 10:37 AM.

Probably found out it wasn't a catered meeting so he went out and expensed a dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    Probably found out it wasn't a catered meeting so he went out and expensed a dinner.

My Ride
    R50

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...ng-nenshi-says
    Coun. Joe Magliocca inappropriately expensed at least $5,600 for hotel rooms, meals and “hosting costs” over the past two years, and expenses for flight upgrades could push that tally to more than $15,000, according to a forensic investigation of the Ward 2 councillor’s spending.
    Thought they might let it sweep under the rug. Nice to see them spend more tax dollars to investigate into this piece of trash...

Looking at the PWC report, the city’s expense policy is quite clear and in line with most employers. Magliocca blatantly broke them and covered up his expenses.

Cause for dismissal is there. Yet the city wants the province to tell them what to do. But the province is saying hell no, this is your mess. Gotta love the level of accountability in our government.

Not sure if an elected councillor can be dismissed, anyone know anything of the process that might deal with this situation?

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

I read that the city doesn't have the authority to dismiss him. The province does.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

Isn't this theft from your employer?

Paying it back after found out is like admitting guilt then your case is dismissed. This guy need to be charged with theft over $5k.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Actual criminal charges would be the right move. But will not happen. As someone who has had expenses be a big part of his career for 15 years, I know I personally always read the expense rules for a new employer, and I am always up front and clear with what/how/who on rhe expense reporting.

People who consider expenses as a "perk" are gross.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    4x4

I'd still like to see the same audit of all the council members before paying for another election.

Sorry I don't believe they're not all in the same predicament. But of course they did vote down the motion to proceed and audit all of them...

My Ride
    NC1

They are all sorry when they get caught lol
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Actual criminal charges would be the right move. But will not happen. As someone who has had expenses be a big part of his career for 15 years, I know I personally always read the expense rules for a new employer, and I am always up front and clear with what/how/who on rhe expense reporting.

People who consider expenses as a "perk" are gross.
    I think it is one of those grey areas where a person pleads ignorance and it is tough to prove intent unless you have them literally on camera saying they are fucking the system intentionally. What they really need is some kind of system where there is a person who has to actually verify and confirm legit expenses rather than rubber stamping everything. I would rather my taxes pay a proper employee money to keep these idiots in check versus giving the slimy politicians more money in their pockets.

My Ride

I think intent can be proved when he claimed expenses on several people who were not present. I can understand one person as an honest mistake but not more than that. Itsa frauds.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post
    I think intent can be proved when he claimed expenses on several people who were not present. I can understand one person as an honest mistake but not more than that. Itsa frauds.
    No argument here, but in a court of law with well paid lawyers, can it be proven beyond a shadow of a doubt? If if not, then guaranteed all those costs would fall back on the tax payer for a failed trial. Fuck a guy can be falling out of a vehicle piss drunk in front of a police officer and because of interpretation of laws or procedures, a lawyer paid enough money can get him off.

Bullshit yes, but bullshit or not it better be ironclad before wasting more taxpayer dollars.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    No argument here, but in a court of law with well paid lawyers, can it be proven beyond a shadow of a doubt? If if not, then guaranteed all those costs would fall back on the tax payer for a failed trial. Fuck a guy can be falling out of a vehicle piss drunk in front of a police officer and because of interpretation of laws or procedures, a lawyer paid enough money can get him off.

Bullshit yes, but bullshit or not it better be ironclad before wasting more taxpayer dollars.
    IANAL. But I would think yes because it wasn't a one off even. I think we have to spend money to deter people from doing the same in the future. We also need to look into the council member who is in charge of approving these expenses as well.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Some places publish all expenses for government employees and elected officials.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post
    IANAL. But I would think yes because it wasn't a one off even. I think we have to spend money to deter people from doing the same in the future. We also need to look into the council member who is in charge of approving these expenses as well.
    I would agree if there was a real chance of conviction. If he has a chance of getting off, then a not guilty verdict would be the worst thing that could happen because now the fucker can just sit there and crow about how he was exonerated and innocent and then turn around and keep his job. It would have been just better to unload his ass and be done with it at that point. Such a greasy business not matter how you look at it.

Unload him with no chance of his indexed pension. Just severance and when he sues, you proceed on criminal charges.

I'm a heartless bastard.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    Unload him with no chance of his indexed pension. Just severance and when he sues, you proceed on criminal charges.

I'm a heartless bastard.
    But it's already handed to CPS which I assume they have to hand to another police body before they can determine if there's a charge?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4