Quantcast
Thinking of moving to airdrie. - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking of moving to airdrie.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by 03ozwhip View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wanna stay under 450. I like have a low mortgage payment and I dont want to stretch the budget.
    Imagine your mortgage payment for that 289 place I posted. Big garage to work in cars, and money to do so.

Or do you prefer new build and fighting with builders about deficiencies and not getting warranty work done?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2013 328i, 2020 BMW F900 XR

My wife and I lived in Airdrie for 6 years. Couldn't wait to leave. It was a gong show getting into Airdrie at the end of the day. We lived in Luxstone and didn't have any issues with the community, but the commute was a real drag. Still have friends who live there (Kings Heights), but I don't think I would ever move back. Not saying it was a bad place, just not for me.

My Ride
    changes every year

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Imagine your mortgage payment for that 289 place I posted. Big garage to work in cars, and money to do so.

Or do you prefer new build and fighting with builders about deficiencies and not getting warranty work done?
    I dont think I'd be building. But a new build in a not so ghetto area is what I'm looking for. Part of the reason I'm leaving is because my neighborhood has turned out to have "executive duplexes" that are now rent to own with most having 8+ young people living in them, I'm just not into a neighborhood like this anymore.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I feel like if any aspect of your life is regularly in Calgary, Airdrie will get old very quickly.

If you have no need to ever come into Calgary, then sure why not. But as others have mentioned there are lots of other places outside the city I would rather live more.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    changes every year

Quote Originally Posted by gmc72 View Post
    My wife and I lived in Airdrie for 6 years. Couldn't wait to leave. It was a gong show getting into Airdrie at the end of the day. We lived in Luxstone and didn't have any issues with the community, but the commute was a real drag. Still have friends who live there (Kings Heights), but I don't think I would ever move back. Not saying it was a bad place, just not for me.
    That's how I feel about strathmore. I have almost 0 friends in strathmore too, so that sucks and everyone I know is moving to airdrie as a happy medium between calgary and anywhere else out of town.

Went to Airdrie to get a tree stump, the lady was selling her place, three car garage, gigantic workshop, 15 foot high ceilings. Was cheap too.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

That's how I feel about strathmore. I have almost 0 friends in strathmore too, so that sucks and everyone I know is moving to airdrie as a happy medium between calgary and anywhere else out of town.
    New town slogan : "Airdrie, it's a little better than Strathmore, except for the traffic!"
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I feel like if any aspect of your life is regularly in Calgary, Airdrie will get old very quickly.

If you have no need to ever come into Calgary, then sure why not. But as others have mentioned there are lots of other places outside the city I would rather live more.
    Even living in Calgary, being on the outer limits is a pain in the ass. We're on the north side of Nose Hill right now and it might as well be Edmonton
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    changes every year

New town slogan : "Airdrie, it's a little better than Strathmore, except for the traffic!"
    Oh for sure lol

My Ride
    Has wheels

Was just looking through the classic car ads on kijiji...

Please view this ad:

Calgary - 1940 Dodge & HOUSE / SHOP FOR SALE,
    https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars...nt=app_android

Price: $.399,000

I lived in Airdire from 2010 until 2017 and I liked it a lot compared to living in Calgary, but like anything, it depends what is important to you. I only moved because I wanted an even quiter life than living in the burbs so we moved even further out to an acreage an hour from work and no regrets, but if I was going to live near town, I would move back to Airdrie before coming into the city.

you don't live in Airdrie because you are a social butterfly and like the life of Calgary such as endless restaurant choices, venues, clubs etc, but if you want a nice, relatively quiet place to live that has virtually everything you need for a heck of a lot less money than most of the similar areas outside the city, you won't regret it. The commute always depends on where you live versus where you are going and times of travel, but I never had an issue with it. I was door to door from Summerhill to my shop at McKnight and Deerfoot in 20 to 30 minutes the vast majority of the days with just the odd day of shit weather or an accident fucking things up, but really there are a few ways into Airdrie now so if you are paying attention to traffic you can almost always avoid a snarl.

Personally I would suggest living in a bit of the older neighbourhoods than the new ones because you get more house and property for the money and they usually tend to be more owner lived in rather than rentals and less traffic on the streets, but again it just depends what you like. Summerhill east of Main street was great and my old neighbours are still great friends even now we have been gone almost 3 years. We sold our house there which was an early 80's build but with modern renos done, open floor plan, 2200 sf with 5 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms and a 26'x26' detached shop wired for 240 for $372,500 but values have come down a bit since then for sure. The city is actually run quite well and amenities are decent. Taxes are pretty low for what you get and the schools were good that my kids went to.

There is a lot to like and coming from Strathmore and I think you would find it very livable. Coming from Downtown Calgary and loving a downtown lifestyle, maybe not so much.

My Ride
    370Z duhh

Thanks. I was looking at luxstone, any particular reason why theres more crime up that way that you might know of?
    Statistically speaking I'm not sure if it's actually true, but according to my wife's Facebook there's always "incidents" in that neighborhood lol

In terms of commute, like I said i only go to downtown M-F and most days it's an absolute blast to drive if you're into cars.... beats commuting from Evanston to dt everyday. Centre street from Airdrie to country hills is also extremely fast and convenient.

Someone mentioned price. When we bought in late 2016, it was average 60G to build the same house on Airdrie vs that shit hole they call Evanston...I knew that neighborhood would turn to shit real soon as that crime moves east, from the real NE, to Coventry, to Panorama and now it's Evanston, Nolan, Sage, sure enough, after we moved, a couple who lived a few blocks over got arrested for running a fentanyl lab right in their house.

If you're moving from inner city though and not used you the commute it will be hard at first... like I said it's 30-35 from my house to bridgeland if no accidents or snow on the highway... and it's a blast if you like cars and you have a fun car, I look forward to my drives every day.
    Last edited by 370Z; 02-18-2020 at 12:40 PM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by 370Z View Post
    Statistically speaking I'm not sure if it's actually true, but according to my wife's Facebook there's always "incidents" in that neighborhood lol
    The Airdrie Facebook groups are a shit show. Do not join those under any circumstances. Best sign of a good neighbourhood is of there does not exist such a group.

My Ride
    2013 328i, 2020 BMW F900 XR

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    Even living in Calgary, being on the outer limits is a pain in the ass. We're on the north side of Nose Hill right now and it might as well be Edmonton
    Same here. We're now looking for a new house on the other side of Nose Hill. My wife has to drive Shaganappi every day and absolutely hates it.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

We moved to Airdrie over a year ago, I’d HIGHLY suggest avoiding anything to the north end of town just due to traffic. We went to Osborne/South Windsong and I can avoid traffic most days through the gravel road behind Balzac. Ideally the 40 ave overpass comes into play soon and then we’re really laughing.

I will say our house that we got for around 400 would have easily been a 500ish in Calgary’s super outlying communities. That being said, I miss large trees. Or any trees...It’s like all the neighbours are adverse to trees...

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

The Airdrie Facebook groups are a shit show. Do not join those under any circumstances. Best sign of a good neighbourhood is of there does not exist such a group.
    While solid advice, ban this fool already. Every community has one of these groups full of Karens and Susans. I can't resist calling these retards out for stupid shit they post, and as such, I have been banned from all of them, yet they still come crying to me to help then when something breaks or someone gets their mini van stuck while on the way to get their starbucks.

Not today, Karen.

NOT TODAY!
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    370Z duhh

Haha no, I'm talking about legitimate police car chases and home invasions, the Facebook group is full of people reporting "break ins" of their unlocked cars lol... Google it, it should be on Discover Airdrie which is our local news outlet.

My Ride
    370Z duhh

Quote Originally Posted by bruceod View Post

Please view this ad:

Damn if I had to do it all over again I would've bought that house, comes with a truck to tow our camper too

My Ride
    changes every year

Quote Originally Posted by bruceod View Post

Please view this ad:

I actually messaged this guy. Dont care about the car myself, but the house has been done really well from the pics.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Man... $450k is a healthy budget for Calgary even... down where I am that gets you 3bed 3bath+ with a double garage. Right by fish creek, which feels like the country.

If you went a little higher there are acreages east of town in the $500k range, I mean I get the lower mortgage thing, but when $100k is less than $500/month... what value do you put on say... not living in airdrie??

If you’re hellbent on a satellite town... I would say chestermere>okotoks>airdrie

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast