Quantcast
Thinking of moving to airdrie. - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of moving to airdrie.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Man... $450k is a healthy budget for Calgary even... down where I am that gets you 3bed 3bath+ with a double garage. Right by fish creek, which feels like the country.

If you went a little higher there are acreages east of town in the $500k range, I mean I get the lower mortgage thing, but when $100k is less than $500/month... what value do you put on say... not living in airdrie??

If you’re hellbent on a satellite town... I would say chestermere>okotoks>airdrie
    Show me a "decent" acreage for $500k range? lol.
    You're looking at like $650k easy for something tolerable, and the good ones are over a mill.
    Last edited by Disoblige; 02-18-2020 at 03:01 PM.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Show me a decent acreage for $500k range? lol.
    Most of them are like over a mill...
    Dude... what year are you living in??? I said east, not west! Hell even dewinton has some solid properties for the $800s

Does backing into a golf course satisfy you? C4281225

My Ride

Dude... what year are you living in??? I said east, not west! Hell even dewinton has some solid properties for the $800s

Does backing into a golf course satisfy you? C4281225
    Hahaha, maybe you are right. I haven't shopped acreages in Calgary much. Just sitting on 2 underwater DT condos, so I might be ignorant.

But C4281225 is kinda terrible imo.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Yo, if your budget is 400k, don't be talked into "500k range" which you know will be 650k before you know it. Go the other way, spend 300k, and live your financial dreams. Acreages have other higher operating costs too.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Yo, if your budget is 400k, don't be talked into "500k range" which you know will be 650k before you know it. Go the other way, spend 300k, and live your financial dreams. Acreages have other higher operating costs too.
    Everyone thinks airdrie is a good idea at the time... you’re evil for perpetuating these lies!

Also have to be careful up there if you work out of town... swinger capital!

My Ride

How do you know this?

My Ride
    changes every year

Everyone thinks airdrie is a good idea at the time... you’re evil for perpetuating these lies!

I've lived in strathmore for 11 years and I've learned that I like the city more, but my wife doesnt, so airdrie is a compromise, based on cost, amenities and friends all being out there.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    How do you know this?
    @The Cosworth told me
    Last edited by ercchry; 02-18-2020 at 03:19 PM.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

What about Cochrane?
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

@The Cosworth told me
    Makes sense, there's nothing else to do in Airdrie.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

All the small towns seem to be a bit more 'open' that way. I'd say per-capita it is probably Langdon though.
    Cos...

My Ride
    changes every year

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    What about Cochrane?
    Dont know anyone there, way out of the way of all of our friends and family and to me it would still be strathmore. I dont belong in a small town lol

My Ride
    party car

Moved to Airdrie last year - we found that Airdrie was a bit cheaper in price when we were looking to purchase a place at the time. We moved out in June last year and tbh we really enjoy it - we don't really have much that brings us into Calgary - The S.O. works from home and I work near the airport 3 days a week.

We are also people that don't mind driving to places - we used to live in Kelowna and you had to drive anywhere in that town.

We really like living there, we chose to live in Windsong and everything we need is within walking distance - we walk to do our groceries or out for dinner and so forth. There's enough around town that you can get your basics and if you need more, Calgary isn't that far off.

As said before, if you're into the downtown lifestyle - then Airdrie may not be for you. It's been really quiet for us and we really enjoy living here.
    I like things with wheels.

My Ride
    changes every year

Quote Originally Posted by reiRei View Post
    Moved to Airdrie last year - we found that Airdrie was a bit cheaper in price when we were looking to purchase a place at the time. We moved out in June last year and tbh we really enjoy it - we don't really have much that brings us into Calgary - The S.O. works from home and I work near the airport 3 days a week.

We are also people that don't mind driving to places - we used to live in Kelowna and you had to drive anywhere in that town.

We really like living there, we chose to live in Windsong and everything we need is within walking distance - we walk to do our groceries or out for dinner and so forth. There's enough around town that you can get your basics and if you need more, Calgary isn't that far off.

As said before, if you're into the downtown lifestyle - then Airdrie may not be for you. It's been really quiet for us and we really enjoy living here.
    Thanks Rei, I've been looking at a few places in windsong and it looks like a nice area.

My Ride
    party car

Quote Originally Posted by 03ozwhip View Post
    Thanks Rei, I've been looking at a few places in windsong and it looks like a nice area.
    Windsong is great! Lots of parks and it's a really nice community - our neighbors are pretty great. Not too much to complain about except for lack of street parking sometimes. It is a big mix of attached and detached homes, and the proximity to Coopers crossing is great - lots of services there and a brewery just opened last year too. As far as accessibility to get into town - you're kind of in between Yankee Valley and Range Road 11 - the main thoroughfares to get out to Calgary. I usually commute around 7 am - and it takes me approximately 25-30 minutes to get to airport-adjacent. On the way home, I usually leave the office around 4:40 and roll into my garage at about 5:20. I think the longest commute I've had was an hour or so, and that was due to weather. I've taken both routes on the way out and home - they both get pretty backed up no matter what, but honestly that'll be the only pinch points on your commute out of town. If you can offset your commute it makes things easier, but for me it hasn't been a huge deal.

Let me know if you have any more questions!
    I like things with wheels.

My Ride
    370Z duhh

Um... correct me if I'm wrong, but Windsong is all built by Mattamy Homes... beware.

Another great thing about Airdrie, Walmart and SS and almost everywhere else is dead compared to Calgary. I honestly can't think of anything wrong with Airdrie unless you're against longish drives to Calgary (depending on which part). I suppose it's ugly...I considered Cochrane before buying buy that was just way too far.
    Last edited by 370Z; 02-18-2020 at 10:14 PM.

Well there is the Airdrie Butcher Shoppe but even as good as that is, it's still not enough to get me to move to Airdrie.

My Ride
    Faux X 4 Mall Crawler

When my friends move to airdrie, it’s like they told me that they got engaged to the girlfriend everyone in the friend group hates. You want to be supportive but you know you are either going to drift apart, or be miserable every time you go visit your friend.
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    changes every year

Quote Originally Posted by finboy View Post
    When my friends move to airdrie, it’s like they told me that they got engaged to the girlfriend everyone in the friend group hates. You want to be supportive but you know you are either going to drift apart, or be miserable every time you go visit your friend.
    Lol ya I avoided it all this time, but again, I hate being on strathmore now. I'd rather be in calgary, but my wife and her parents wont move to calgary.

I dont want to go to okotoks, I dont want Cochrane, and I have alot if friends and family that are either close or in airdrie, so it just makes sense.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Quote Originally Posted by finboy View Post
    It is very true, my mom will drive 35 minutes to SW Calgary to see my brother but the 20 minutes north to me is 'too far' apparently.
    Cos...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast