Quantcast
What do you love/hate about your home location in Calgary? - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you love/hate about your home location in Calgary?

My Ride
    Cayenne S, 335i Cab

Moved to Cambrian Heights from Mount Pleasant ~2.5 years ago and never looked back.

Pros:

- Close to the in-laws (Rosedale) - by far the greatest advantage now that we have a kid
    - No traffic in/out of community during rush hour. Right on all the main roads (14 street / John Laurie) so really easy and fast to go to Deerfoot or Shag or to downtown.
    - 10 mins drive to DT. <15 min for both my wife and I to get to work (downtown/belt line area). Alot of shortcuts in and out of the neighborhood so even during rush hours I can be home within 15 mins
    - Walking distance or <3 min drive to both Nosehill Park and Confederation Park. Bike path all the way down to the river.
    - Big lots and alot of matured trees. RC1 zoned so no duplexes and the neighbourhood just feels very open. (The one thing we hated about Mount Pleasant was the density)
    - Great neighbours. Either young families or retired couple, so everyone is very friendly. Everyone's a snow angel and some guy would run his snow blower up the entire block every now and then. It's so nice. I haven't had to shovel my sidewalk in over a month.
    - Alot of school options for kids
    - Plenty of parking when we host parties, unlike in the new communities where you can at most park 1 car between houses. including our driveway we can have 7 cars parked within our property lines.
    - We chose our house specifically because it's on a uphill, so we have high fences. Between that and the matured tree , we can't see into our neighbour's backyard, which gives us alot of privacy. Also because our house is a 4 level split, our living room is slightly elevated and it's full mountain view out the windows. It doesn't feel like we are living inner city.
    - We get all the restaurants on door dash / skip the dishes
    - A very nice off leash park just 3 mins from our house in the Foothills Estate area, but we always feel guilty having to use the pedestrian light the stop traffic on 14 street to get over.
    - There's a coin wash 2 mins away .

Cons:
    - No good off leash park within the community. Too bad Confed is not off leash
    - Superstore and costco is >15 mins away.
    - No stores within walking distance - still have to drive everywhere to get to places Starbucks or Mcdonalds or Timmys. No neighbourhood pub within walking distance.
    - Our house could be bigger since we chose location > house. We couldn't afford both.
    Last edited by RX_EVOLV; 02-19-2020 at 12:14 PM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by RX_EVOLV View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Moved to Cambrian Heights from Mount Pleasant ~2.5 years ago and never looked back.
    Cons:
    Isn't that park at the corner of 32nd and 10th an off-leash area? I'm pretty sure it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Cayenne S, 335i Cab

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Isn't that park at the corner of 32nd and 10th an off-leash area? I'm pretty sure it is.
    Yea but it's a tiny one that's on a steep hill. I never see any dogs there.

The one across the street though is amazing though. It's so open and always filled with dozens of dogs regardless of weather. We even started looking at houses that back onto that park but ... wayyyy out of our price range.
    Last edited by RX_EVOLV; 02-19-2020 at 04:42 PM.

My Ride
    2013 328i, 2020 BMW F900 XR

Pros:

- Close to the in-laws (Rosedale) - by far the greatest advantage now that we have a kid
    - No traffic in/out of community during rush hour. Right on all the main roads (14 street / John Laurie) so really easy and fast to go to Deerfoot or Shag or to downtown.
    - 10 mins drive to DT. <15 min for both my wife and I to get to work (downtown/belt line area). Alot of shortcuts in and out of the neighborhood so even during rush hours I can be home within 15 mins
    - Walking distance or <3 min drive to both Nosehill Park and Confederation Park. Bike path all the way down to the river.
    - Big lots and alot of matured trees. RC1 zoned so no duplexes and the neighbourhood just feels very open. (The one thing we hated about Mount Pleasant was the density)
    - Great neighbours. Either young families or retired couple, so everyone is very friendly. Everyone's a snow angel and some guy would run his snow blower up the entire block every now and then. It's so nice. I haven't had to shovel my sidewalk in over a month.
    - Alot of school options for kids
    - Plenty of parking when we host parties, unlike in the new communities where you can at most park 1 car between houses. including our driveway we can have 7 cars parked within our property lines.
    - We chose our house specifically because it's on a uphill, so we have high fences. Between that and the matured tree , we can't see into our neighbour's backyard, which gives us alot of privacy. Also because our house is a 4 level split, our living room is slightly elevated and it's full mountain view out the windows. It doesn't feel like we are living inner city.
    - We get all the restaurants on door dash / skip the dishes
    - A very nice off leash park just 3 mins from our house in the Foothills Estate area, but we always feel guilty having to use the pedestrian light the stop traffic on 14 street to get over.
    - There's a coin wash 2 mins away .

Cons:
    - Superstore and costco is >15 mins away.
    - No stores within walking distance - still have to drive everywhere to get to places Starbucks or Mcdonalds or Timmys. No neighbourhood pub within walking distance.
    - Our house could be bigger since we chose location > house. We couldn't afford both.
    One of the areas that we are looking at moving to is Mount Pleasant. What are your thoughts on that area. We've seen a few, but in our price range, it's mostly the newer infill duplex's.

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Bridgeland:

Pretty much love everything about it. I can walk downtown, princes island, or East village really easy. Tons of good brunch and dinner places in the area. Dog parks overlooking the zoo and the centre Street bridge are both fun to go to and have incredible views. Inside the lime scooter zone for summer and cheap Ubers to Stephen or 17th Ave. Bike ride to work downtown is 10-15 minutes or a 25 minute walk typically.

Only complain is transit isn't great where I am. Too far from the bridgeland train station to use it and not many buses on Edmonton trail to where I'd wanna go. Most are walk 10 min over to centre Street and bus from there. Also cons I guess is the higher prices. Would never afford a house but my townhouse is perfect. Has a backyard for the dog and a garage and that's all I need. Never hear my neighbours.

Neutral. I thought there would be more transient people issues but it seems like our street is really quite and never had any issues thus far. Never feel unsafe walking my dog at night which is great
    May I ask what townhouses you're in? I don't want to bother with house maintenance anymore and we might have a chance to move sometime soon.

My Ride
    Cayenne S, 335i Cab

Quote Originally Posted by gmc72 View Post
    One of the areas that we are looking at moving to is Mount Pleasant. What are your thoughts on that area. We've seen a few, but in our price range, it's mostly the newer infill duplex's.
    Keep in mind our house was on 10 street / 18 ave, so really close to SAIT / 10 street / 16 ave.

Pros:
    - Location!! Walking distance to Timmys and Earls. 2 min drive to Safeway. 3 min to Kensington (late night run to Hayden Block for their half priced meat was awesome!!) really miss being able to walk over to Earls for a happy hour drink (or 2)
    - We had full downtown view from our 2nd floor bedroom balcony, which I really enjoyed.
    - Matured tree lines - some of the streets are real nice.
    - Mostly working professionals who lives in the area (beside the student renters), so it felt really nice.
    - A few min drive to Crescent Height stairs - love taking the dog there or just doing the stairs on the way home from work.
    - I suspect if you work downtown, the bus options are really good.

Cons:
    - The density. Nearly all the new builds are duplexes so we find the neighbourhood to be too dense, which sounds like a weird complaint since this is an inner city community.
    - No off leash park.
    - We were 3 block from SAIT, so during the day all the street parking are taken. I don't like the idea of always having random cars in front of the house.
    - Alot of students renting in the community, so really high turnover and always new faces in Sept and Jan. The house next door was sectioned and rented out to 7 students, so we always smell weed. There were times we were woken up in the middle of the night because of the smell and all of our windows were closed!

Ultimately what made us move away from Mount Pleasant was the density between houses and the lack of backyard space, as we wanted a good yard for the dog and the eventual kid.
    Last edited by RX_EVOLV; 02-19-2020 at 04:44 PM.

My Ride
    Hybrid

Recently moved from Mount Pleasant to Charleswood

Mount Pleasant
    Pros:
    - Really quick commute downtown, 10-15 minutes by bike during rush hour, 5 minute by car outside of rush hour
    - Easy access to 4th St, Centre St, 16 Ave
    - Lots of restaurants, and a short drive to downtown for more options
    - Lots of young professional families
    - Short walk to Confederation park
    - Reasonably short drive to the best Superstore in town
    Cons:
    - Lack of parking (lots of infills)
    - Crime has been rising - Mount Pleasant was singled out as having the highest growth in crime rate in the last year https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...gust-1.5286682
    - Not as good choices for schools

Charleswood
    Pros:
    - Very close (walk zone) to many excellent schools (our primary reason for moving)
    - Large lots
    - R-1 zoning
    - Lots of green spaces/parks
    - Still a short commute to downtown (20-25 minutes by bike, 15-20 minutes by car)

Cons:
    - Further from Superstore/Costco
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

My Ride
    Hybrid

Cons:
    - The density. Nearly all the new builds are duplexes so we find the neighbourhood to be too dense, which sounds like a weird complain since this is a inner city community.
    - We were 3 mins block SAITs, so during the day all the street parking are taken. I don't like the idea of always having cars in front of the house.

Ultimately what made us move away from Mount Pleasant was the density between houses and the lack of backyard space, as we wanted a good yard for the dog and the eventual kid.
    I'm with you on all these points. I'm a total hypocrite, density is great for the city but I'd rather live in an R-1 community.

I was over on the other side of 4th street, and even there street parking was a hassle (for guests - we used the garage).
    When we moved in, we were one of 4 duplex infills on the block, and it was great... When we left there was only 4 single detached homes left standing and you could really feel the density.
    Last edited by Strider; 02-19-2020 at 12:53 PM.
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

Before our current home in Highwood, we owned in Mount Pleasant. We moved away because of increasing traffic /parking issues, far too many renters and the area, as a whole, just did have a good community vibe to it. Schooling choices were quite limited as well. Mid-50's to mid-70's communities just seem to have that sweet spot when it comes to schooling and fairly good nearby amenities without having to deal with modern suburban super centers.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    Before our current home in Highwood, we owned in Mount Pleasant. We moved away because of increasing traffic /parking issues, far too many renters and the area, as a whole, just did have a good community vibe to it. Schooling choices were quite limited as well. Mid-50's to mid-70's communities just seem to have that sweet spot when it comes to schooling and fairly good nearby amenities without having to deal with modern suburban super centers.
    As a current resident of Mount Pleasant, I agree with all of this.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2013 328i, 2020 BMW F900 XR

Keep in mind our house was on 10 street / 18 ave, so really close to SAIT / 10 street / 16 ave.

Pros:
    - Location!! Walking distance to Timmys and Earls. 2 min drive to Safeway. 3 min to Kensington (late night run to Hayden Block for their half priced meat was awesome!!) really miss being able to walk over to Earls for a happy hour drink (or 2)
    - We had full downtown view from our 2nd floor bedroom balcony, which I really enjoyed.
    - Matured tree lines - some of the streets are real nice.
    - Mostly working professionals who lives in the area (beside the student renters), so it felt really nice.
    - A few min drive to Crescent Height stairs - love taking the dog there or just doing the stairs on the way home from work.
    - I suspect if you work downtown, the bus options are really good.

Cons:
    - The density. Nearly all the new builds are duplexes so we find the neighbourhood to be too dense, which sounds like a weird complaint since this is an inner city community.
    - No off least park.
    - We were 3 block from SAITs, so during the day all the street parking are taken. I don't like the idea of always having random cars in front of the house.
    - Alot of students renting in the community, so really high turnover and always new faces in Sept and Jan. The house next door was sectioned and rented out to 7 students, so we always smell weed. There were times we were woken up in the middle of the night because of the smell and all of our windows were closed!

Quote Originally Posted by Strider View Post
    Recently moved from Mount Pleasant to Charleswood

Mount Pleasant
    Pros:
    - Really quick commute downtown, 10-15 minutes by bike during rush hour, 5 minute by car outside of rush hour
    - Easy access to 4th St, Centre St, 16 Ave
    - Lots of restaurants, and a short drive to downtown for more options
    - Lots of young professional families
    - Short walk to Confederation park
    - Reasonably short drive to the best Superstore in town
    Cons:
    - Lack of parking (lots of infills)
    - Crime has been rising - Mount Pleasant was singled out as having the highest growth in crime rate in the last year https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...gust-1.5286682
    - Not as good choices for schools

Charleswood
    Pros:
    - Very close (walk zone) to many excellent schools (our primary reason for moving)
    - Large lots
    - R-1 zoning
    - Lots of green spaces/parks
    - Still a short commute to downtown (20-25 minutes by bike, 15-20 minutes by car)

Cons:
    - Further from Superstore/Costco
    Quote Originally Posted by Strider View Post
    I'm with you on all these points. I'm a total hypocrite, density is great for the city but I'd rather live in an R-1 community.

I was over on the other side of 4th street, and even there street parking was a hassle (for guests - we used the garage).
    When we moved in, we were one of 4 duplex infills on the block, and it was great... When we left there was only 4 single detached homes left standing and you could really feel the density.
    Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    As a current resident of Mount Pleasant, I agree with all of this.
    Thanks for the info. I'll keep it all in mind.

My Ride
    Exploded.

My place went from 'love' to 'tolerable' due to the bike lane additions in front of my building.

Living in DT is awesome because I'm equally far from the quadrants (working out of DT would be easy which it is right now), but I have what I need within walking distance (groceries, coffee shops, parks etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
    My place went from 'love' to 'tolerable' due to the bike lane additions in front of my building.
    12th ave? I literally sold my condo downtown because of that nightmare. 4 lanes down to 1 lane that jogs for ~15,000 vehicles per day. An extreme solution perhaps, but I have no regrets.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    12th ave? I literally sold my condo downtown because of that nightmare. 4 lanes down to 1 lane that jogs for ~15,000 vehicles per day. An extreme solution perhaps, but I have no regrets.
    Yup. Not too bad once you figure out the time frame when the flow becomes a nightmare and adapt accordingly. Leave earlier or later than [x]

EDIT:

The ideal home is to have a lawn being manicured by the people I hired. Not going to happen anytime soon.

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by finboy View Post
    Just moved into west hillhurst/briar hill/hounsfield heights from crescent heights east, we are in a really weird stretch of houses that are in a park bordered by the three neighbourhoods, in a design that is perfect for DINKS but not families due to house designs.

- my walk to work went from 30 min to 50 min, but I will likely start running in which is around 25 min. Drive is about 3 minutes in but 40 out due to 8th st/memorial/Kensington BS

Net positive move overall, still getting used to the area
    I drive by your house everyday, and I don't think your drive should take that long to get home from downtown. My suggestion would be the following: get on 6th Ave from anywhere downtown, stay in the left 2 lanes, 14st north over the bridge, on to Memorial west bound, north on 19st. If your current drive is 40 minutes, this should cut that in half leaving downtown at rush hour.

Of course there are bad days where traffic is heavier but regardless, this route should be quicker.
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Anecdotally, I found the people on the Mount Pleasant bus to be more pleasant than the Sandstone bus.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

My Ride
    '05 Subaru LGT wagon (5MT)

I am in Parkland (south end of the community) and have been for just over nine years.

Pros:
    -very low traffic noise considering its location (probably one of the quietest areas I've ever been in, inside the city)
    -larger yards at a lower price than Bonavista
    -excellent access to Fish Creek/ridge above Fish Creek
    -close to Sikome (I can walk there with my 5 year old)
    -nice private park with skating and sledding in the winter (long, steep hill, ~45 seconds to get to the bottom going fast), splash park in the summer, summer fest, Easter egg hunt, Christmas party, Halloween party, facility rental (indoor and outdoor)
    -close to Deerfoot and MacLeod, good access to get out of the city heading south
    -close to Deer Valley shopping, Deerfoot Meadows, Shawnessy shopping area
    -close to South Centre Mall, not too far to Chinook
    -close to Canyon Meadows train station, not too far from Evergreen and Anderson stations
    -we get to watch storms split around us, either following Fish Creek or the Bow River, often sunny when it is raining in Midnapore/Sundance or Bonavista/Acadia/Willow Park/Maple Ridge

Cons:
    -maintenance costs on older houses
    -aluminum wiring
    -near a sludge treatment plant (smells, even up the ridge, when they are burning poo)
    -no retail/commercial in the community at all, not even a convenience store or gas station
    -seems to be much colder than the surrounding areas (often 2 to 4°C colder than Bonavista, at the south end of our community)
    -most people don't know where Parkland is and confuse it with Parkdale. I tell people I live near Deer Run, everybody has heard of Deer Run.

My Ride
    changes every year

Well since I inspired this thread lol
    Strathmore...I like that theres very little traffic, brand new school across the street from my house, kid walks to school. I have no neighbors behind me, open field, lots if animals back there.

Everything is close so when you have to go anywhere, takes no time at all. My in laws live blocks away and help out with the kid when we need it.

I love my house, built it almost 4 years ago and still live everything about it, just getting it to where I want it now landscaping wise. Big heated triple garage with 220.

I hate that walking clinics are only open 2 days a week have to go to the hospital if you're sick. I hate most of my neighbors as they just hide in their houses and park their 15 cars per house anywhere they want, including in the middle of my driveway.

I hate that you go to the store for.something and they dont have it, because strathmore doesnt stick it, or they fly off the shelves so fast, theres never enough. I hate the people.

The people in strathmore for the most part are all hockey families that look at you like a POS or dont talk to you because your kid isnt in hockey.

Wannabe cowboys in their lifted dodges. nuff said there. There is absolutely nothing to do in strathmore if you dont play hockey, so I'm constantly going back to calgary or airdrie to do things.

If you have an import car, no one in town can work on them, all they know is lifted dodges(not totally, but pretty much). Canadian tire barely stocks anything for toyota/lexus, so again, having to order shit or go to calgary for parts.

I'm sure there is more that pisses me off, but ya...I'm at the end of my rope here. Wish I could move my house to a different city lol

My Ride
    Faux X 4 Mall Crawler

Quote Originally Posted by gmc72 View Post
    Thanks for the info. I'll keep it all in mind.
    We passed over mount pleasant for all the same reasons, Cambrian heights and rosemont were the top of our list before we fell into our current place

Quote Originally Posted by 90_Shelby View Post
    I drive by your house everyday, and I don't think your drive should take that long to get home from downtown. My suggestion would be the following: get on 6th Ave from anywhere downtown, stay in the left 2 lanes, 14st north over the bridge, on to Memorial west bound, north on 19st. If your current drive is 40 minutes, this should cut that in half leaving downtown at rush hour.

Of course there are bad days where traffic is heavier but regardless, this route should be quicker.
    This is why I love beyond
    Last edited by finboy; 02-19-2020 at 07:50 PM.
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    dumpster trains

New home-buyer. Spruce Cliff, Westgate Towers

Initially bought in Signal hill in the condominium development behind Sunterra Market (Signature Park). We loved our unit and the proximity to the train, market, and main access roads. Unfortunately we discovered shortly after our purchase that the complex was occupied by mostly retirees who had nothing better to do than improperly apply bylaws and had the backing of an altogether useless management company. Ultimately we ended up hating living there and decided to take a loss and sell only a year later ( I know bad decision). Oddly enough we were able to get into a unit we looked at a year earlier in Westgate for a better price due to a weaker market. After the sale we only lost 5k on market value and upgraded to a 7th floor west facing 2 bedroom apartment with an amazing balcony. Additionally we bought in Westgate knowing that we wouldn't live there forever (marriage and children in the next ten years or so) and eventually intend to use it as an income property, or sell once the market recovers.

Pro's of living at Westgate (aka Corner of Westbrooke)

- Way less Carols, Karens, Trevors, or Kents
    - Younger Demographic (more working professionals)
    - Great access to main roads
    - Tons of restaurant options (better half is a foodie)
    - Amazing views
    - I have a pool, gym, hot tub, 24 security, and onsite management (and my fees are only 20 bucks more a month than Signature Park where we got none of these things)
    - Mall steps away, even if it has the cities 2nd most sketchy Walmart (2nd to Marlborough)
    - Stumbling distance from the LRT (Yay hockey, Yay concerts, Yay Stampede, Yay don't have to worry about DD's)

Cons
    - Homeless people occasionally find their way into our parkade (3 mnutes from the LRT by foot )
    - Wind
    - Not on the top floor anymore
    - Sometimes we have a lot of traffic noise, but honestly with the windows closed you don't hear it. I used to rent in the Beltline and it was WAY noisier.
    - No urgent care centres close by
    - Lots of people who have no clue how to use a one way round about
    - More yuppies...
    Originally posted by speedog
    So more beyond armchair activism at work again?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast