Quantcast
What do you love/hate about your home location in Calgary? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you love/hate about your home location in Calgary?

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by adam c View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    McKenzie Towne

Still have shitty neighbors
    Is that a McKenzie Towne thing, or moreso just unfortunate case for you, do you think?

Feel like no matter which community you live in, you kind of roll the dice on your neighbors, unless the whole block is terrible and you can visually see red flags before even moving in.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Quote Originally Posted by LilDrunkenSmurf View Post
    Oh, Hidden Valley.. I used to have so many people crank right in front of me as I was trying to hit the Stoney exit from there.
    Yeah, people don't even know how to properly make an illegal right turn

On that same road, people are always in the right lane for the Stoney off ramp until they realize at the last second that they need to be in the leftmost lane to go past the bridge.

On the bright side, cops stopped being cunts and camping there for easy tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by taemo View Post
    Skyview

I actually like the area, very close to Stony Trail, Airport, 10min bus to Saddletown C-Train, Cross-Iron mall.
    Only thing I'm starting to hate is the number of traffic lights that I have to cross before getting to Deerfoot, used to be 4, now there's 8

Years ago we opted out buying a house in Sage Hill or Evanston as heading home we noticed there were lots of traffic lights in Symons Valley Rd.

We are moving back to Beddington where I can just hop on my bike and ride to downtown.
    cousin did a similar move. Were in Skyview then recently moved to Huntington. She and her husband are WAY happier now

My Ride
    Axis powers

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Is that a McKenzie Towne thing, or moreso just unfortunate case for you, do you think?

Feel like no matter which community you live in, you kind of roll the dice on your neighbors, unless the whole block is terrible and you can visually see red flags before even moving in.
    Hard to say, I think all communities have some sort of shitty neighbors just in different ways however I think back to my dad's house in Erin Woods and his neighbors are decent, at least I don't have some that sit outside their house watching everything I do like one thread here

There's too much, me only mentality and fuck everyone, else in this city, I've been contemplating perhaps moving to a smaller community like Chestemere but my current life situation doesn't put me in a spot to move
    Sig nuked by mod.

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    ... pretty skuzzy Westbrook Mall.
    They re-did the mall itself (including Safeway and WalMart) and it's a lot nicer than it used to be (aesthetically), but the immediate area surrounding Westbrook Mall is still a dump. Fortunately it's 3-5 mins drive to Glenbrook, Marda Loop, Richmond, or West Hills if you want to shop somewhere else.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    My ideal situation:
    - Detached house w/ big fenced backyard.
    - Nearby park/trail because of dog owner/active lifestyle.
    - Commute to downtown under 30 minutes during regular rush hour conditions.

Aspen?
    Sums up my location. I’ve owned this house the longest out of any, keep moving back to it. Until proper inner city is attainable in a detached home I will stick with it. Loved inglewood, but to have the ideal street with something built less than a century ago... too much cash. Most lots are typical 25-50ft ish too, something to be said about Mount Royal and the like’s lot sizes

If it wasn’t for the dogs I would probably do an inner city townhouse or similar. Lock and leave would be nice if I ever get the ability to work remotely for more than a couple days at a time.

For now I will enjoy the ability to bike DT when it’s nice out, drive or train in 30min during peak hours DT, and to disappear into the woods and forget other people live near by all while looking forward to the new ring road access and Costco right around the corner

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Why would anyone go shop at Marda loop... never seen the appeal of the area at all.

Best news I heard all week was that they are thinking of tearing that mall down to build a COOP.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Why would anyone go shop at Marda loop... never seen the appeal of the area at all.

Best news I heard all week was that they are thinking of tearing that mall down to build a COOP.
    I only go there for Village Ice Cream

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    I only go there for Village Ice Cream
    How's the lineup?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

You know the answer's gonna be "not that bad whenever I'm there"

My Ride
    111R, FL5, DC2R, E61,W201, E36, GSW

Moved to Varsity from Capitol Hill this past June and so far I have the following:

Dislikes

- Most alleys are unpaved and are quite long and stretch for over 2 or 3 blocks, makes petitioning for a paved alley almost impossible.
    - Any of the affordable stuff means you are looking at a detached garage home.
    - No wandwashes near by. The closest one in Brentwood closed and was replaced by a condo.
    - No FTTH, all other Telus nodes are basically full. My only option is Telus 15 or Shaw.

-Commute to downtown is 15-18 mins, lots of choices for routes in case one of them backs up (Crowchild, Shagnappi, through Banff Trail etc). Getting to a main feeder road is very quick.
    -Easy access to bike pathways (25 mins to downtown)
    -Lots of offleash options for dogs (2 offleash parks close by)
    -well maintained out door rink close by and tennis courts
    -Market Mall and Northland Mall are very close, lots of options for groceries/food/amenties
    -Mail delivery directly to the door
    -Mainly original or 2nd owners on our block. Everyone knows each other really well and are friendly
    -Lots of school options nearby and walkable
    -15 min walk to either Brentwood or Dalhousie stations, so lots of transit options

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    How's the lineup?
    It's been in the negative temps every time I've been there since I moved, so probably not a good indicator - ask me in the summer. That whole area is pretty congested so I'd expect a bit of a line when it's nice out.

Quote Originally Posted by rx7boi View Post
    You know the answer's gonna be "not that bad whenever I'm there"
    C'mon now, I'm the only one who actually posted photo proof of the no lineups when I visited MBM haha.

On top of that I usually get pints so it doesn't matter how big the line is, you can just walk to the front.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 02-18-2020 at 05:16 PM.

My Ride
    starts with a screwdriver...

Super southie here...

I like in the South end of Cranston SE.

The bad:
    - Houses in my area are pretty much all the same and for those that dont take any interest in landscaping, every street is pretty much identical.
    - Far away from downtown and the airport. Stoney has made it more bearable.
    - Nothing here is really trendy. Most older communities are seeing cool renos and designs. Not here.
    - Yards are smaller and houses are super close together.
    - On the streets where people park on both sides, its almost impossible for cars travelling in opposite directions to pass each other. The streets in Parkland and Bonavista where i grew up were WAY wider.

The Good:
    - Never really need to leave my area for anything.. Seton has a ton of grocery stores, movie theater, gas, new YMCA etc.
    - New 212 exit has made exiting/entering this community MUCH better. Prior to this, it was a nightmare getting in and out in the south end.
    - Lots of schools if you have kids
    - Its quiet here and the roads are eerily quiet after dark (in my area at least)
    - Awesome proximity to fish creek
    - Deerfoot and Stoney proximity are good with new, efficient roads and routes.
    - According to global weather, we are consistently the warmest part of the city based on our weather station lol..
    I MAKE BALLER CARS MORE BALLER.....

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Chinook Park (Heritage and 14th area)
    Moved from Windsor Park

The Good:
    -Big Lot size
    -Friendly neighbourhood (Borderline nosey sometimes)
    -Close to schools
    -Great access
    -15 mins downtown
    -Easy access out of city
    -All older established homes, more likely to reno than tear down--No infills! No bumpy roads! no jammed street parking!
    -Close to Reservoir trails/walking

Bad:
    -Lots of older neighbours (Slowly going to youngish families) so not as many youngish families to meet.
    -Could use more amenities in walking distance. All are currently biking and driving
    -Glenmore Trail is crappy but getting better for going to kids hockey on weekedays

Think thats about it... took us a while to find a place in the area, as there isnt a lot of turnover.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Fairview. Less classy version of Chinook Park. Basically everything said above, except is walking distance to everything.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    have sat on the CAcBoard as well.
    What's a Cack Board?
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

I'm in Douglas Glen currently.

Is there anything you want to change about your home in terms of LOCATION? Do you love it? Hate it? Tolerate it?
    • Having the option for Deerfoot (not rush hour) or Ogden/Barlow is pretty great and fixes most of the SE traffic problems for me.
    • Live on a pathway with a Soccer Field, Tennis Courts, and Ice Rink. Couple of minute walk to the river pathway which connects to Fish Creek or Carburn, pretty much use this everyday to walk the dog or bike ride in the summer.

What makes changing your current situation so difficult? Money? Spouse? Kids? Pets?
    • Everything else that I like is way way outside of my price range, haha

If you work in DT or close to DT, what is your ideal situation or future plans to make your life better for commuting?
    • Green line might help take other cars off the road (probably still worse traffic in 2027)... but I can't see myself ever not driving downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post
    What's a Cack Board?
    Sorry CA Board, community association board.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Great thread..

Copperfield.

I really like it.
    Commute is mostly going against traffic. Its kinda hard to explain to born and raised Calgarians how easy it is here. It only takes me 20-30mins to Chinook and thats mostly freeflow. There are lots of options, DF, Barlow, Shepard Road/Ogden, 52nd, Glenmore, and Stoney. If one is buggered. Just jump on the other.
    130th has everything on either side in terms of stores. Its easy to get in and out. Local food is decent.
    I can get to anywhere in the city in 40mins. Lots of road options.
    Weather is not as extreme as the north.
    Hospital is close-by and ive had to use a few times in a emergency. Man.. it pays being so close.

On the downside, there is no local pub I can walk to. No local shrine to worship the liquor gods.
    I like eating and making pan Asian food. So no Asian grocery store near me.
    Poor road planning by the City. Children are used as traffic calming measures on main through-fares. What I mean is, why would you stick a playground zone on the main entrance into the neighbourhood..? Like why..?
    Transit is crappy. But its a car based city.

What makes changing your current situation so difficult? Money? Spouse? Kids? Pets?
    I can't sell (condo). On the plus side I got decent sq footage and good layout in my place.
    I would like to be nearer downtown(not actual downtown) be closer to a few friends (i.e walk over)as I don't have much family here. It can get very lonely.

I would like to get a small bungalow so I can grow a garden, have space to maintain my Zonda and have a bigger space to host dinner parties (I make the best lamb curry). I just can't afford it right now. I mean I could, but im starting late in life and don't wan't a mortgage till im 65.

My Ride
    Faux X 4 Mall Crawler

Just moved into west hillhurst/briar hill/hounsfield heights from crescent heights east, we are in a really weird stretch of houses that are in a park bordered by the three neighbourhoods, in a design that is perfect for DINKS but not families due to house designs.

Advantages:
    - no kids live in any of the houses
    - we live in a dog park and have 2 (soon to be 3) dogs, so super advantageous
    - lot is narrow but suuuper deep which is fine by me (35x182)
    - the views are amazing, downtown to the mountains if the sky is clear
    - decent street parking with no permit down the block if we have more guests than our driveway takes
    - convenient access to everything
    - no issues with homeless due to our street bring harder to get to, this was a huge problem at our old place

Disadvantages:
    - property taxes, assessed value is $240k more expensive then we paid for the house
    - driveway approach is brutal, still figuring this out
    - low garage ceiling
    - 22x24 garage with not much room to grow but up ($$$), I wish I had a 3 car with a pad (though the fiancé is glad I can’t go crazy buying cars)
    - the Safeway’s close to us are full of old people and homeless, if we have to do a big round we drive the extra 3 minutes to centre
    - no rear access to property will make landscaping a bitch
    - my walk to work went from 30 min to 50 min, but I will likely start running in which is around 25 min. Drive is about 3 minutes in but 40 out due to 8th st/memorial/Kensington BS

Net positive move overall, still getting used to the area
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast