Quantcast
What would be your must haves/wish list if you could build a custom home? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 66

Thread: What would be your must haves/wish list if you could build a custom home?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    150
    Rep Power
    0

    Default What would be your must haves/wish list if you could build a custom home?

    Wondering what some of your must haves would be in a new custom home? I read some older threads from 2011-14 but with technology and trends changing I am curious as to what would be on your wish list.

    Some things that come to mind for me:

    1. Sink and drain in the garage
    2. In ceiling speakers throughout the house
    3. Butlers pantry (with a second fridge)
    4. Pool table/games area in basement

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    calgary
    My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3
    Posts
    4,423
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    - triple pane glass wall facing green space or trees (preferably north facing)
    - air conditioning
    - triple garage
    - enclosed steamshower/sauna combination
    - 8ft bathtub
    - giant master bedroom with room to stretch for me (I do this nightly before bed)
    - CAT7 wires everywhere
    - smarthome, light automation
    - 220v in garage

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    '73 Buick, '03 Ruckus, '17 Ridgeline
    Posts
    648
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Triple Car Garage with drainage
    Dual sink in master en suite
    sound proofing between floors
    Upgraded windows

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    403
    My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's
    Posts
    6,353
    Rep Power
    32

    Default

    We concentrated on stuff that we couldn't change or upgrade later.

    - Triple garage with drains.
    - Wider and taller garage o/h doors.
    - Skipped the garage sink but added an extra hose bib.
    - Durable main floor finishes (we upgraded to tile that looks like hardwood).
    - Added as many windows as possible.
    - Made window bigger in multiple rooms.
    - Added insulation to some interior walls for soundproofing.
    - Payed extra for a larger lot.
    - South facing driveway so you dont have to deal with ice buildup all winter.
    - Dual ensuite vanity is a must have.
    - Oversized ensuite shower.
    - Huge kitchen and island.
    - Completely open concept main floor.
    - Finished basement stair (we'll develop the basement later).

    - 9' basement would have been cool but skipped due to cost.
    - Vaulted or 9' upper floor ceiling would have also been cool but skipped due to costs.
    - With Bluetooth speakers we skipped the in ceiling speaker BS. Seems like a waste of money and a pain in the ass to upgrade later.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    ES Art Room
    My Ride
    #SadLife
    Posts
    2,705
    Rep Power
    85

    Default

    Heated garage floor and heated basement floor.
    Custom steam shower.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Unicycle
    Posts
    10,862
    Rep Power
    100

    Default

    Mature trees on the property.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I almost shat myself after eating way too much at lunch with @killramos so ya, we can start the diaper thread now.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Not Aspen
    My Ride
    Two from Freemont
    Posts
    9,525
    Rep Power
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Mature trees on the property.
    word.

    Also, garage HRV / dehumidifier. My F150 rusted like an Ontario car.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Unicycle
    Posts
    10,862
    Rep Power
    100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    word.

    Also, garage HRV / dehumidifier. My F150 rusted like an Ontario car.
    Ventilation fan will do it. Calgary air is so dry.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I almost shat myself after eating way too much at lunch with @killramos so ya, we can start the diaper thread now.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Homeless
    My Ride
    Blue Dabadee
    Posts
    7,935
    Rep Power
    69

    Default

    My List:
    Completely decked out triple+ garage, if you can buy it for a garage I want it

    A wolf stovetop 36”+ and dual wall ovens

    Spatial audio run in wall through my “media room” for atmos without cables everywhere

    Cat6 runs everywhere

    One of those digital Moen shower controllers, press one button to heat shower to exact temp I know I like every time

    Top quality windows to avoid heat loss and frosting

    Dedicated HVAC for each floor

    The rest of the house I couldn’t give 2 shits about
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    10,409
    Rep Power
    33

    Default

    For me:

    - Large, fully finished garage with Epoxy'd floor, heat, 220V, sink and drain
    - Soft water hose bib to garage area
    - Flat property
    - Covered patio(s)
    - Dedicated theater in basement
    - In wall/in-ceiling speakers throughout home
    - Every room soundproofed
    - 9-10ft ceilings
    - Gigantic shower w/ 2 heads, double en suite sinks
    - Proper air purifier on furnace
    - Wired Ethernet going to every room (this is unbelievably hard to find on new builds)
    - Top notch insulation / triple pane windows w/industrial shutters on basement and bedrooms
    - Renewable energy sources if possible
    - In floor heating everywhere
    - Full sized wine/beer fridge
    - No hardwood - tile everywhere that looks like hardwood
    - Big trees
    - No street parking

    Probably lots more I'm missing haha.


    Currently I have about half of those things, so i'll have to wait until the next one to get everything I want (and maybe win some money lol).

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    '73 Buick, '03 Ruckus, '17 Ridgeline
    Posts
    648
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    Dedicated HVAC for each floor
    This is bonkers expensive. I was involved with a house in Chestermere that had more controls and zone dampers then some office buildings

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    403
    My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's
    Posts
    6,353
    Rep Power
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    word.

    Also, garage HRV / dehumidifier. My F150 rusted like an Ontario car.
    I'm sure you've mentioned this before but was your garage heated and did you have floor drains?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty
    Posts
    2,590
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    10 ft. ceilings on the main & second floor (if applicable) and 9 ft. in the basement. I've just got 8 in my house but my parents have 10 and I never noticed it as a kid but fuck I feel like I live in a cave at this point.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    10,409
    Rep Power
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Masked Bandit View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    10 ft. ceilings on the main & second floor (if applicable) and 9 ft. in the basement. I've just got 8 in my house but my parents have 10 and I never noticed it as a kid but fuck I feel like I live in a cave at this point.
    I went from 8 --> 10 on main and second floors and 7(?) --> 9' in the basement and I agree it makes a huge difference in how open everything feels. You don't really notice until you experience both (like you say) but it makes even the smaller rooms feel very open IMO.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Fiesta ST
    Posts
    1,190
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    - In floor heating
    - Heated attached double garage /w driveway in front for 2 cars
    - Sink with the laundry up by the bedrooms
    - A den or office that is away from the bedrooms, preferably down a floor or two so I can make noise
    - Ethernet wired everywhere
    - Smart bulbs/plugs all over to set timers for things
    - Smart plugs in all the bathrooms so you can make sure no hair things are left on
    - Low maintenance front/back yards
    - Gas stove
    - Open concept so I can see the TV while cooking as well as guests have seating but can have conversations while prepping dinner
    - Fenced back yard, even if tiny, enough for the dog to go outside in winters
    - I'd actually rather a townhouse than a house (less maintenance + cheaper utilities long term)
    - No fireplaces, fuck them
    Nolan

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    ES Art Room
    My Ride
    #SadLife
    Posts
    2,705
    Rep Power
    85

    Default

    I'll add epoxy floor (already mentioned) with parking hoist.
    Also miss having a laundry tub/sink (already mentioned). That's also a good thing to have in the garage.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    10,409
    Rep Power
    33

    Default

    Forgot about upstairs laundry. I used to have it in the basement, and upstairs is soooooo much better. Some builders now are putting them right in the master bedroom closet.

    We have a sink roughed-in in the laundry room but so far haven't had a desire to have a sink there.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Not Aspen
    My Ride
    Two from Freemont
    Posts
    9,525
    Rep Power
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm sure you've mentioned this before but was your garage heated and did you have floor drains?
    Both infloor and drains. Humidity hits 70% because it is so tight. The heat not only melts the snow that drops of the car, it evaporates the water as it drains.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    calgary ab
    My Ride
    4x4
    Posts
    2,321
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    28x40 A frame, west facing. 10' cantilevered eave to cover deck on West end.
    PV and solar water heaters on South roof.
    10x10 cinderblock basement for furnace/WH only, grade beam & footings for rest of perimeter.
    Open family/living room Master up 2bed down.

    Corian/cheapest finishes since they get outdated and can be upgraded later.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Wildflower Ranch
    My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile
    Posts
    2,217
    Rep Power
    35

    Default

    Triple car entry tandem garage
    Sidewalk and driveway heaters
    HVAC zoned on every floor including basement
    HEPA filtration
    Cats in every room
    Steam and Sauna
    Backing into river with downtown and mountain views
    Swingers
    5 minute drive to downtown
    5 minute drive to Costco
    As prestigious as Aspen
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Bachelor pad ideas and must haves

    By Manhattan in forum Home and Garden
    Replies: 29
    Latest Threads: 12-04-2013, 01:36 PM
  2. Things you wish you had in your home.

    By 89coupe in forum Home and Garden
    Replies: 165
    Latest Threads: 11-17-2012, 03:20 PM
  3. The "must haves" of the PS3?

    By Vagabond142 in forum Video Games
    Replies: 45
    Latest Threads: 04-28-2010, 10:04 AM
  4. Replies: 25
    Latest Threads: 08-31-2008, 10:41 AM
  5. Which ps3 games are must haves so far??

    By ekguy in forum Video Games
    Replies: 45
    Latest Threads: 08-20-2008, 01:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •