Quantcast
Miata vs S2000: Which is more fun? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Miata vs S2000: Which is more fun?

My Ride
    V8s

Default Miata vs S2000: Which is more fun?

I've got an AP1, and just came back from visiting my parents in the states where my dad has an NC Miata. I was pretty underwhelmed with the Miata.. it seems objectively worse than my S2k in almost every way. It's slower, pitches and rolls, turn in was good obviously but it felt like it didnt hunker down and rotate as well as my car. Overall it just wasn't all that I thought it might be, despite being the top spec miata from that gen. I can see the appeal, it is a little more go-kart-y just because it's so small... but I just didn't like it as well. My dad on the other hand likes it way better; he thinks the S2k is too much of a race car to be fun on the road, but would be more fun and better suited to a track day (his words).

For those that have driven both, what say you? Also if anyone's driven an ND miata, I'd be interested in feedback there too - he's thinking of buying one of those to replace his, since he bought his NC on a whim but likes it enough to get something newer/nicer/better.

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

The right answer is 718 Boxter GTS.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

I’ve owned four Miatas and an AP1. AP1 is my favourite car I’ve owned so far out of 35 or so vehicles. It just feels special to me.

Been a while now since I've driven either but S2000 is a no-brainer in my opinion between those two. The Miata remains one of the most underwhelming cars I have ever driven, and you can easily pay ~$45K for one (new) which is criminal IMO.

My Ride
    has a stick axle

Last edited by KRyn; 03-11-2022 at 10:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KRyn View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Given that you drive a Civic (not even a SI or R) can you really speak to underwhelming boring cars? I can only assume you have never driven a Miata 10/10s in the proper environment.
    Do you currently own both cars? I highly doubt it, which doesn't make your opinion any more valid. Did I say my car wasn't boring? No. Why do you think that my current car is the only car I have ever owned? Why is my commuter car even in this conversation? You don't have to own something to have relevant experience with it. You're making an awful lot of assumptions, all of which are incorrect.

I don't understand your logic, but hey if shitting on my current vehicle which has no relevance to this thread makes you feel better about yourself, all the power to you. OP asked for opinions from people who drove both, I am in that group, so I replied. My opinion also matched others in this thread, which you did not seem to take an issue with. Also...they're just opinions - no need to throw around playground insults just because you may not agree.

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

AP1 at the limit is scary. ND2 at the limit is brilliant.

My Ride
    has a stick axle

Last edited by KRyn; 03-11-2022 at 10:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KRyn View Post
    Well yeah, I shared the same opinion as someone else based on my experience and out of nowhere you decided to take the opportunity to insult my DD like we're in Jr. High still lol. Also, you don't own both cars in question here either which is awfully hypocritical considering what I was criticized for. I think that says a lot more about you than me. Have a nice day

My Ride
    V8s

Kinda the response I was expecting with this audience, nice to know I'm not out to lunch. AP1 at the limit, idk if it's scary... you definitely need to know the quirks about the suspension (un)loading though. I did lots of reading before I bought it, so I had some idea for what I was in for. A ham fisted/inexperienced driver could definitely spin it easily.
    @KRyn it's 2006 black on red 6mt grand touring with 60k miles on it. It's also in Hawaii, so unless you're planning for your next build to take place there, shipping it will probably be a bit cost prohibitive haha.

@npham thanks for nothing, chump. You're right, but he has no interest in buying a Porsche. I already tried that.
    Last edited by bjstare; 02-21-2020 at 07:25 PM.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by npham View Post
    The right answer is 718 Boxter GTS.
    GTS 4.0 or bust.

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

Its simple really.

Was there a miata in fast n furious? No.

There was TWO! S2000s (although they were apparently the same car)

/thread.

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    Kinda the response I was expecting with this audience, nice to know I'm not out to lunch. AP1 at the limit, idk if it's scary... you definitely need to know the quirks about the suspension (un)loading though. I did lots of reading before I bought it, so I had some idea for what I was in for. A ham fisted/inexperienced driver could definitely spin it easily.
    @KRyn it's 2006 black on red 6mt grand touring with 60k miles on it. It's also in Hawaii, so unless you're planning for your next build to take place there, shipping it will probably be a bit cost prohibitive haha.

@npham thanks for nothing, chump. You're right, but he has no interest in buying a Porsche. I already tried that.
    Have you watched the savagegeese Miata series on youtube? He's owned like seven S2000's and goes through all the generations of the Miata.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpBc3K3aZgc

Jason Cammisa has a good video on Miatas too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziuesosN-eU

My Ride
    T4R / Tesla Y

I’ve owned an AP1 and just picked up a modded Suzuki Cappuccino.. I think the cappo takes the crown for ultimate on-road go-kart

My Ride
    06 S2000

I'd love to pick up a Beat to compare to my s2k. That being said, I'd also love an AZ-1.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    111R, FL5, DC2R, E61,W201, E36, GSW

I find the NC and ND Miata to be more comfortable than a S2000 (especially the NC). I've had seat time in all gens of the Miata, owned a AP1 and had a ton of seat time in a AP2. Turn-in in the Miata is shaper than the S2000. S2000 has the much better shifter. I find the Miatas to be a fair bit quieter too than the S2000. If it was up to me i'd pick AP2 == ND1 > AP1 > NA > NC > NB. The ND1 is a much nicer place to be in inside (granted it should be since it's a much newer car). Im a big fan of the AP2 with the extra torque down-low, as much fun as the high RPM band of the AP1 is, prefer the AP2's powerband.

Now after driving a ND2 im REALLY impressed with that car. The extra power they added with the update has transformed the car. Basically takes all the good things from the ND1 (refinement, interior etc) and improves it. It'll still be a tough call between the AP2 and ND2 but I think the 400 lb weight difference in the ND vs the AP2 sways me to the ND2.

My Ride
    B16 Spec V, 97 SC400, 15 Caravan

Quote Originally Posted by A2VR6 View Post
    I find the NC and ND Miata to be more comfortable than a S2000 (especially the NC). I've had seat time in all gens of the Miata, owned a AP1 and had a ton of seat time in a AP2. Turn-in in the Miata is shaper than the S2000. S2000 has the much better shifter. I find the Miatas to be a fair bit quieter too than the S2000. If it was up to me i'd pick AP2 == ND1 > AP1 > NA > NC > NB. The ND1 is a much nicer place to be in inside (granted it should be since it's a much newer car). Im a big fan of the AP2 with the extra torque down-low, as much fun as the high RPM band of the AP1 is, prefer the AP2's powerband.

Now after driving a ND2 im REALLY impressed with that car. The extra power they added with the update has transformed the car. Basically takes all the good things from the ND1 (refinement, interior etc) and improves it. It'll still be a tough call between the AP2 and ND2 but I think the 400 lb weight difference in the ND vs the AP2 sways me to the ND2.
    How does the powerband of the ND2 feel compared to the AP2? Makes me wonder if it makes it a bit more similar than the ND1. The price though for a new one is a bit out there in my opinion, but at one point I did consider it as a replacement for my AP2 to get some of the modern comforts.

My Ride
    111R, FL5, DC2R, E61,W201, E36, GSW

Quote Originally Posted by Cagare View Post
    How does the powerband of the ND2 feel compared to the AP2? Makes me wonder if it makes it a bit more similar than the ND1. The price though for a new one is a bit out there in my opinion, but at one point I did consider it as a replacement for my AP2 to get some of the modern comforts.
    It feels like it has a ton of low down grunt. I think it's in part to the gearing because the ND1 also felt like it had an decent amount of torque. The higher RPM makes all of the difference in the ND2... much much needed.... bridges the gap to the AP2 when you compare it with the ND1.

I've owned an AP1, AP2, ND1 and currently have an ND2 Miata.
    Find the Miata more fun on the street because you can really push it without getting into much trouble. The fact that it pitches and rolls makes you feel like you can be at the limit of the car more comfortably which is a big plus when you're on the street.
    Also the softer suspension makes it much more livable with driving in normal situations.

The S2000 is a much more capable track car, but is a lot less comfortable on the street and has no power in the lower RPM range, especially the AP1.
    So I found by the time you rev out the S2000 to redline to have some fun with it you're typically breaking the speed limit by a lot.
    My ND2 has the 6 speed with really short gearing so it actually has good torque due to that gearing.

Another thing to consider is cost. If you're thinking of having as much fun as possible driving on the street VS the money you spend, the value you get in an NA or NB Miata is unbeatable.
    If you're looking for a super capable track car, then the S2000 is the ticket.
    Just my 2 cents.