Quantcast
Anyone used Turo before? Pros and Cons? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Anyone used Turo before? Pros and Cons?

My Ride
    X7 40i, Cayenne S, 335i Cab

Default Anyone used Turo before? Pros and Cons?

Have a short business trip coming up in LAX and will need to rent a car. I'm not a big fan of waiting for the shuttle to go to the rental company just to wait in line and then get up sell on insurance and add-ons and all that stuff.

I'm not looking to rent a fancy car as I will need to expense it, but the idea of someone just giving me the key at the airport is quite appealing. Anyone used Turo before? How does insurance and all that stuff work ? are those cars tend to be alot dirtier?

Thanks!

Wondering too for upcoming trip where I probably don't need a car every single day.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

My Ride
    111R, FL5, DC2R, E61,W201, E36, GSW

Quote Originally Posted by RX_EVOLV View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Have a short business trip coming up in LAX and will need to rent a car. I'm not a big fan of waiting for the shuttle to go to the rental company just to wait in line and then get up sell on insurance and add-ons and all that stuff.

I'm not looking to rent a fancy car as I will need to expense it, but the idea of someone just giving me the key at the airport is quite appealing. Anyone used Turo before? How does insurance and all that stuff work ? are those cars tend to be alot dirtier?

Thanks!
    Used Turo a bunch of times at LAX. First off you have to get a Uber to the Turo lot at LAX which is the Custom Hotel which is away from the airport. It's a 10 min Uber ride.

You can buy insurance through Turo or you can utilize your own personal insurance if you have rental car coverege (my personal policy had this and covered Turos up to 100k).

As for the cars being more dirty, it depends. The rentals that I have had experience with are washed before the next renter or the previous renter has to wash it and provide a reciept before returning the car.

My Ride
    X7 40i, Cayenne S, 335i Cab

Quote Originally Posted by A2VR6 View Post
    Used Turo a bunch of times at LAX. First off you have to get a Uber to the Turo lot at LAX which is the Custom Hotel which is away from the airport. It's a 10 min Uber ride.

You can buy insurance through Turo or you can utilize your own personal insurance if you have rental car coverege (my personal policy had this and covered Turos up to 100k).

As for the cars being more dirty, it depends. The rentals that I have had experience with are washed before the next renter or the previous renter has to wash it and provide a reciept before returning the car.
    Ohh i didn't know you still have to take a Uber to an off site lot, and if I have to do car cash and stuff. No thanks. It's not that much cheaper. Maybe I'll just stick with car rental companies for now.

I'm seeing the same for Phoenix. A econo car isn't much cheaper. If you want a exotic car then maybe a good deal.

LAX: I thought Uber cannot come to the terminals and you had to walk quite a way to get to Uber pick up?

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Would a credit card still provide insurance coverage under turo? I expect not?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

LAX is a shitty airport. By the time you fuck around with Turo/Uber/Rental Car horseshit, you can kill an hour or more.

You can legit get to places like Disneyland from San Diego or Palm Springs in about the same amount of time because of this crap.
    Last edited by ExtraSlow; 02-26-2020 at 12:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    111R, FL5, DC2R, E61,W201, E36, GSW

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    I'm seeing the same for Phoenix. A econo car isn't much cheaper. If you want a exotic car then maybe a good deal.

LAX: I thought Uber cannot come to the terminals and you had to walk quite a way to get to Uber pick up?
    I last rented from Turo near the end of 2018 so just before Uber was banned. I guess they use the hotel shuttle now (they originally had this as the way to get to the lot back in 2015/2016). From reading more into this more it looks like Turo has recently closed the Valet lot at the Custom and now its up to each individual person to figure out pickup/drop off arrangments for rentals. So you might get a curbside pickup by the owner now and they'll bring you back to a location to finalize the paperwork and whatnot. Seems like a bit of hassle tbh, the old method of the valet lot was pretty seemless... just needed to plan ahead with the shuttle/uber.

My Ride
    CAEB, 6G72

I used Turo in Houston last November. I paid for the airport pick-up, so we got the car at arrivals, and the guy found his own way from there. The selection of cars tends to be a bit better for the price, but since ours was a personal car, it had some stuff in it. I used my visa insurance for it, and it was fairly smooth. I much preferred cruising around with a tinted out twin turbo, vs a kia or hyundai.

My Ride
    MR2

I've used it a ton. I love it. If your goal is just to get a cheap economy car then I'd say your better off going with corporate agencies. Price difference usually isn't much and you're pretty much guaranteed to get a new low mileage clean and reliable car. What turo is awesome for, is to get unique or rare cars that you can't normally get from an agency. I've rent 911's, corvettes, older 90's sports cars. It's really awesome as long as you keep in mind that not every host is a good host. Sometimes you get good cars and sometimes they're dirty and unmaintained. Reviews are good indicators

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Using it now in Hawaii so far so good, buddy dropped the vehicle off curb side to me and dipped.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    LAX is a shitty airport. By the time you fuck around with Turo/Uber/Rental Car horseshit, you can kill an hour or more.

You can legit get to places like Disneyland from San Diego or Palm Springs in about the same amount of time because of this crap.
    I can't believe how true this is! And their "terminal" that WestJet is in is an inhumane feedlot. I think it's Terminal 3? There's nowhere near enough anything - bathrooms, chairs, food!
    Fuck. That. Place.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    I can't believe how true this is! And their "terminal" that WestJet is in is an inhumane feedlot. I think it's Terminal 3? There's nowhere near enough anything - bathrooms, chairs, food!
    Fuck. That. Place.
    People think I'm kidding about flying into Palm Springs, but I'm not. That's such a pleasant airport, and I would much rather spend an hour on the highway through the desert than fight the infrastructure at LAX.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

I used it in Hawaii on multiple islands for hundreds of miles and it was awesome. Had a 2014 Honda Accord for $13/day and a 2016 Chevy Spark for $12/day. Over 2 weeks I easily saved $600-$800 and the cars were clean and well kept. The owners will also work with you on pickup/drop off so it’s convenient.

I'm looking at options on getting picked up off my month long rented yacht tour in the French Riviera.
    Will the Turo driver drop the car on the dock? I am paying $500USD/day to use the car.
    Or will I need to secure a short term lease on a helicopter to get dropped off on the grounds of my Hotel, The Grand-Hôtel du Cap-Ferrat?

Anyone know if The Grand-Hôtel du Cap-Ferrat in the French Riviera allows helicopters to land on their grounds?

I'm looking at options on getting picked up off my month long rented yacht tour in the French Riviera.
    Will the Turo driver drop the car on the dock? I am paying $500USD/day to use the car.
    Or will I need to secure a short term lease on a helicopter to get dropped off on the grounds of my Hotel, The Grand-Hôtel du Cap-Ferrat?

Anyone know if The Grand-Hôtel du Cap-Ferrat in the French Riviera allows helicopters to land on their grounds?
    Hey, it's 89coupe's burner account!

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

Yes. Last time I was there, they sent a helicopter to pick me up from my private jet.

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

If it's LAX, Id prefer a true rental. depends on who you use, the Turo lot can be really fucking far away. there's a billion different rental companies/cars to choose from at LAX it'd be much quicker. Plus you dont even have to talk to anyone at the rental place. jsut use the machines.