Quantcast
PART 9 - Your Career Arc through the Alberta downturn - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: How has your career gone these last 5,6,7 years?

Voters
135. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have voluntarily changed jobs

36 26.67%
  • I have involuntarily changed jobs or been laid off

33 24.44%
  • I haven't had major changes

66 48.89%
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: PART 9 - Your Career Arc through the Alberta downturn

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

I watched many of my friends get laid off from an O&G service company but managed to survive all of the rounds and even carve out my own senior level role. I didn't like the shift in the culture after some big company changes so I left to join a couple of buddies at a small consulting firm. I took an overall pay cut (I'd like to find whoever said contracting/consulting was lucrative and kick them in the nuts) but I have been learning a ton which is what I really wanted to get out of it. Plus I hopefully it makes me more marketable if any full time salaried roles pop up because the stress of contracting is starting to get to me.

Overall both my wife and myself have thankfully remained employed the whole time but it definitely wasn't without stress and close calls.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

Moved into construction industry last year (I am in States), don't regret a single day.

My Ride
    Faux X 4 Mall Crawler

Laid off in q2 2014, found a job at a services company start of 2015, company went under a year later and I went back to wait for business intelligence and data warehousing. During school I landed a telecom PM roll and have been there for the last 3.5 years. In that time, I’ve got my pmp and prosci, but my wage has been mostly stagnant for the last 5+ years. Up side is that life has been steady enough to get a great deal on a house, and all my friends seem to have found their own stability. I’d hate to be in my 20’s in the city right now, not sure there is a solution for that.

My career is solid for the immediate to mid term future (despite our ceo telling the press about 5000 layoffs) but it would be nice to see calgary bounce back a bit. A rising tide raises all ships, and I’m not going anywhere as this is home.
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

I studied and started in Banking when I landed in Canada. But moved onto Grocery sector for more breadcrumbs. At this time I started seeing friends in O&G getting laid off.
    After two years I got laid off in my role. But I managed to get a role on a different side of the compnay that was entry level admin marketing (gota pay the mortgage and bills yo).
    I tried applying for other jobs, but was getting nowhere. Lots of lay offs happening in Calgary.
    I looked at going to SAIT to study and get some more skills. Possibly healthcare. But after meeting with a information officer, there was blatant cash grab barriers because I was a immigrant.

I survived two rounds of layoffs then the third round was mass layoffs. I thought my role was safe, but I got laid off due to nepotism. The layoff was not a bad thing, I travelled for two months. I really needed it in this stage of my life.

So I was out of work for 10 months. I had savings but I cut back as you never know.
    I went to networking events, and bullshit networking events. So many self employed people as marketing consultants.

I looked at a career in insurance and banking again. I looked at various jobs, applied for entry level roles. But got nowhere. Some of the interview techniques and processes were questionable. It was soo frustrating.
    I ended up studying for Life Insurance and a General 1 Insurance Licence, I got a short contract with a establish company. The contract was extended to longer one as I passed my exams first time.
    I loved the job and helping my clients. I met some great people. There were also vulnerable people I was able to direct. It was very rewarding helping people do better. I could transfer so many of my skills over, especially from the finance sector.
    I was good at what I did, many sub agencies recognised that and tried to hire me.

I decided to leave to a sister company for a more corporate role. Long story short I went through the books and identified a product that was ripping off a good client. I went out of my way to help them and they valued that. It was a massive deal that would help them over the long run and it was good for business. A Win Win. It was stolen from me.
    I had the last laugh as senior manager who stole it broke one of the cardinal rules and in doing so they could not close the deal.

I was asked by other agency managers to come work for them. But the above experience left a sour taste in my mouth so I politely declined.
    I took a paycut for my new role (not that I made much anyway). But its more stable, especially the market we are in.

So all in all, its been rollercoaster ride so far.

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    Text book GQ... simple “double over” or whatever the name is, pull tight with dimple, adjust tie bar for just the right amount of lift
    Tonytiger screams in English...
    Name:  aid71946-v4-728px-Act-Like-an-Anime-or-Manga-Character-Step-2-Version-3.jpg
Views: 732
Size:  68.6 KB

Went from an o&g ancillary role in power gen to hydraulics (voluntary) then back to power gen on the large natural gas/cogeneration side when the right opportunity appeared.

Turns out that projects come and go, but my desk has largely stayed the same. I count myself in the lucky few that can say this.

Alberta is different for sure this time. I went through a small recession prior to this big one. to be honest, this go around has demoralized entire segments of our province, not just specific entities.

All of my fellow brothers and sisters out there, keep your heads up.
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    I say we slow down the spinning of the earth so that there is 25 hours in the day.

Join me.

Went from engineering at a junior O&G producer to full time MBA when times got tough and the company closed its doors. Subsequently moved into a finance role at a bank and then recently jumped to a large producer in a corporate role. There's been no shortage of uncertainty through all that but it forced me to make some career changes that have worked out for the best.

Bumping this back up.

Emergency meetings being held today, things look like they could be getting quite rocky again here soon.

My Ride
    Toyota’s

Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    Bumping this back up.

Emergency meetings being held today, things look like they could be getting quite rocky again here soon.
    Talk now of well count 3600-3800. Down 1000+ from a month ago. Glad I'll be back on the farm in a couple months.

Probably going to ask for cash up front from anyone who isn't a long term customer going forward. Can't be too careful these days.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Quote Originally Posted by birdman86 View Post
    Talk now of well count 3600-3800. Down 1000+ from a month ago. Glad I'll be back on the farm in a couple months.
    Need a rock picker? You okay if I bring my toddler too? I'm not above child labor in this market.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    Toyota’s

Quote Originally Posted by schurchill39 View Post
    Need a rock picker? You okay if I bring my toddler too? I'm not above child labor in this market.
    No rock problems but you could come pick wild oats. Will pay with free access to the raspberry bush.

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-06-2020 at 05:18 PM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Thank you for your service. We all like to shit on anyone who works for the government, but I have massive respect for first responders.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    06 S2000

Worked operational O&G IT until 2017. Picked up a project contract for most of 2018, while I applied to LE. Moved back into a short term operational role. Got deferred in early 2019, and moved out of O&G spring 2019 into financial (still IT), where I'm FT.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

I just got out of construction and landed a support role with law enforcement/government. It is a contract gig, but they have regularly carried those contracts through, and have plans to hire contractors full time.

In IT for 23 years now. System design, programming, devops, networking, databases, yadda yadda.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

And here I always thought IT was just turning computers on and off again and saying no to bigger monitors.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    V8s

And here I always thought IT was just turning computers on and off again and saying no to bigger monitors.
    That's definitely what IT is.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    That's definitely what IT is.
    Someone's OneDrive is going to be corrupt tomorrow.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

1) Be an IT person
    2) Swich over to the industrial side of things
    3) Call it automation
    4) Bill twice as much

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast