Quantcast
Coronavirus vs Investing - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 58 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus vs Investing

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I went to cash heavy in January. Blind luck, but whatever.

I'm struggling to figure out when to get back to fully invested.
    Something something something time in market
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Bicycle

I have been expecting this for almost a year. Will start buying back in once everything is back to early 2019 level.

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

Mine was similar, just in the process of pulling all of my investments to reallocate to ETF's, so I have a lot of cash just sitting in my direct investment accounts waiting to buy back in. Blind luck.
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Wife has a sizeable inheritance coming in and I have a good chunk of money from a LIRA transfer.

Was helping my sister with reallocating all of her investments so she recently went back into cash too.

That said, it doesn't really change my strategy much; still holding everything and not panic selling. No one knows how far this will go so just staying the course.

Woo wee!

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

I had a feeling this was coming last week but didn't pull out, but did first thing Monday morning. Bought VGRO on Dec 27th for $27...sold on Feb 24th in the morning for $27. Made no money but at current price, saved myself 12k in losses. Plan to get back in at some point, but I think things will get worse before they get better. Might buy again in small portions here and there.

My Ride
    V8s

I'm also just letting everything ride. Might look at buying more if it continues to drop for the next couple weeks.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by eblend View Post
    didn't pull out,
    nothing good comes from that....same reason i have a third kid.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I had a feeling this was coming last week but didn't pull out, but did first thing Monday morning. Bought VGRO on Dec 27th for $27...sold on Feb 24th in the morning for $27. Made no money but at current price, saved myself 12k in losses. Plan to get back in at some point, but I think things will get worse before they get better. Might buy again in small portions here and there.
    VRGO is made to be a set it n forget it portfolio. I personally wouldn't worry about buying/selling every couple months.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    But I want to see the i4!
    Digital debuts are still a go.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/02/28/...us-automakers/

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    VRGO is made to be a set it n forget it portfolio. I personally wouldn't worry about buying/selling every couple months.
    I totally understand this, and that's my intention, but I got into the game late as is when I figured everything was overvalued, so if there is a chance for me to re-buy those same stocks at a bigger discount, I don't see why not try it. Sold 6666 stocks, at current price I could get 7100 stocks for the same money. Makes sense to me unless I am missing something.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Is it worth looking at health stocks/portfolios..?

I’ve been almost all cash since the virus began, as I initially thought it was going to be a huge supply chain disruption, and valuations at that time were very frothy overall. Either way, I can’t say I see any way that this is a buying opportunity. Inevitably the virus will spread to the US given its patterns thus far, if it hasn’t already, and the resulting panic (whether justified or not) will be painful.

Most monetary and fiscal tools for stimulations are maxed out, with money being very cheap, QE going on for a while now, and big fiscal deficits. I did short the market Monday, but closed that position on Tuesday. Can't say I expected this sort of reaction...

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

I totally understand this, and that's my intention, but I got into the game late as is when I figured everything was overvalued, so if there is a chance for me to re-buy those same stocks at a bigger discount, I don't see why not try it. Sold 6666 stocks, at current price I could get 7100 stocks for the same money. Makes sense to me unless I am missing something.
    That's reasonable logic and nothing I would begrudge someone for doing as 180k is nothing to scoff at. I think there was fear in your decision to move back into cash and can be rationalized as you saved yourself some losses.

That said, you're in your 30s and based on your threads, my impression is that you wanted something to park your money in and just grow. Longterm passive investing isn't so much when to buy but more of a function of consistency and discipline.

Your fear makes sense but your decision to go into VGRO and pull out at the first sign of volatility only go to back in later on doesn't align with your overall retirement strategy.

You pulled everything out @ 27, great. What's your strategy from here on? You don't know the bottom so are you going to dollar cost average 30k a month for the next half year?

Just my .02 but I'm just a regular guy with biscuits crumbs in portfolio

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

What he said
    Ultracrepidarian

I am buying in slowly. Hopefully I won't get burned too badly but started averaging down my VGRO. Progressively buying 100 shares of VEQT everyday it is down more than 2%.

My Ride
    Touareg, Cayenne, 944s

I suspect we'll see some big bounces as this sucker rolls down hill for a while. Be careful.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

SOXL
    TQQQ
    go for it

My Ride
    Megun/Kyosho/965

The Original !

1234567, ¦h³Ò¦h±o

My Ride
    Eclipse

Quote Originally Posted by rx7boi View Post

That said, you're in your 30s and based on your threads, my impression is that you wanted something to park your money in and just grow. Longterm passive investing isn't so much when to buy but more of a function of consistency and discipline.

Your fear makes sense but your decision to go into VGRO and pull out at the first sign of volatility only go to back in later on doesn't align with your overall retirement strategy.

Couldn't of have said it better myself.

The reason markets "work" is because of fear and greed. People think they can get the top and it's "overvalued" or they can get a better price.

If you are setting a plan stick to it. you can say I'm going to take profit of 25% of my portfolio @ $200 on apple when it was $100 and it's fine, price goes up you could of earned more but you stick to your plan.

If your plan is to keep and hold for 20-30 years and then a 10% drop comes and you fear losing more your going to get punished hard.

Best advice I can give.. MAKE A PLAN AND STICK TO IT. If you go and 5x your investment but cashout when that wasn't your plan nobody can give two shits about how you profited, I'd give you much more respect if you bought at $300 for apple and held for 10 years like your plan was and didn't touch any of it even if it ended at $280 or $320 when you hit your time-length goal.

That's the hard thing.

Make a plan, and plan, stick to it, you remember the 1 time you "made" a good trade but then forget the 10 times you made a "bad trade" because you didn't have a goal at the start.

This is the truth, you can agree or disagree I don't care, this is how I make a living (But from poker, fundamentals are the same) having all those guys "remember" how they "made" a lot of money that one time in Poker but don't know what they are doing and think because they won before they are "good"

Then you take a few bad trades and start to use leverage to chase your losses.

Going to give you some insight those day traders that are really good are only making about 5-10% ROI (Return on Investment) so they are basically losing on 40% of their trades and winning on 60% while taking profits to cover stop losses, but everything is set in stone BEFORE they enter a position.

I'm writing this but I'm sure most people won't listen.

Remember your not going to beat the markets without a plan.

SET A PLAN
    STICK TO THE PLAN

IF YOU BREAK THE PLAN YOU FAIL.

The plan can be "Don't touch for 5 years, 10 years, 20 years"
    "I'm going to take 25% Profit at 100% ROI"
    "I'm going to set a stop loss at 21%"

DON'T DO LIKE THIS GUY...(Friend of mine)
    click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

It doesn't matter, just stick to the plan, learn to educate yourself if you want SL/TP goals and then just pick a random number, it will be a better outcome than "Oh now i think it's overvalued, I'm selling!" then price goes up "FUCK I COULD OF MADE MORE MONEY, I NEED TO BUY AGAIN"
    Last edited by Kobe; 02-28-2020 at 01:08 PM.
    Originally posted by beemerm3
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Sitting on some cash, toying with the idea of raising some more, mouth starting to water, the only thing that smells better than a fresh sear on a steak is the market on sale.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

Page 2 of 58 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast