Quantcast
Hidden assets during separation/divorce - lawyer suggestions - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hidden assets during separation/divorce - lawyer suggestions

My Ride
    Eclipse

My friend is a divorce lawyer, I've sent him this.

Edit: He isn't in Calgary though but B.C or I'd recommend him, but he will most likely know the best way you should proceed.
    Last edited by Kobe; 03-04-2020 at 05:22 PM.
    Originally posted by beemerm3
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

My Ride
    X7 40i, Cayenne S, 335i Cab

Sorry to hear. I have nothing valuable to add but I hope they can work things out amicably.

A buddy's parents separated a few years ago. It was supposed to be very amicable and they waited until the youngest son turn 18 before they officially start the process. However once they started sorting through the assets, and they have alot as the husband is a very high income earner, the divorce got nastier and nastier. Finally settled after 3 years and hundreds of thousands of legal fees, and now they can't see eye to eye or be in the same room anymore. It's so sad. I hope it can be avoided in your situation.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Thanks guys. I appreciate all the kind sentiments. This has been in the unfortunate making for several years as their marriage continued to deteriorate. My close friends all know about it and I've always been open about how I deal with it.

It was a difficult decision to establish boundaries especially early on when there are obvious familial obligations as the eldest son, but as time went on I had to take a step back and look out for my own mental health while dealing with the guilt trips and "advice" from distant relatives.

I'd like to think that I did what I could. I encouraged both of them to find marriage counselling, lended an ear whenever I could, and tried to balance being a son, confidant, and friend to them both. At one point, I was chair family meetings to steward asset division amongst ourselves and needless to say, that went nowhere since my father felt entitled to more being the one who brought in most of the income for their 25+ year marriage.

It's not as bad as it could be since at least one of them is willing to be a reasonable adult, but there is plenty of lost respect for my father for a myriad of reasons that would be inappropriate to address on Beyond.

It has been somewhat of a challenge coming to grips with the things in their marriage that you are not privy to as a child and also the new habits and personalities that are a symptom of the person they've now chosen to be.

A lot of talk on how bad people can be to each other when emotion gets involved in this shit. But no mention of the scumbag lawyers that thrive on this crap, and do their best to rile people up and make them fight for what they "deserve"! Only so they can give 75% of what they deserved to the lawyer. I know so many stories of people that were willing to be amicable until they consulted a lawyer and decided they were getting fucked by splitting things fair and square.

My Ride
    Eclipse

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A lot of talk on how bad people can be to each other when emotion gets involved in this shit. But no mention of the scumbag lawyers that thrive on this crap, and do their best to rile people up and make them fight for what they "deserve"! Only so they can give 75% of what they deserved to the lawyer. I know so many stories of people that were willing to be amicable until they consulted a lawyer and decided they were getting fucked by splitting things fair and square.
    I don't think this is the case, I was in a similar situation as OP, one of my parents ended up firing like 3-4 of the lawyers in the 3 year span, they kept going because their father kept saying never give up, get as much as possible.. etc

They must of spent a shitload in lawyer fees.

It's really hard not saying father or mother when i write this, i don't want to give one the blame, but there was a lot of assets and one of them was trying to just get it over with giving way more but the other kept pushing for more.

It ended up taking 3 years + and just sold everything (1 Home, 1 Home split with someone else to build, land) so I know how extremely frustrating it must be, I ended up never asking who got more, it just doesn't matter to me but I don't think it was the lawyers fault.
    Originally posted by beemerm3
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

Quote Originally Posted by Kobe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think this is the case, I was in a similar situation as OP, one of my parents ended up firing like 3-4 of the lawyers in the 3 year span, they kept going because their father kept saying never give up, get as much as possible.. etc

They must of spent a shitload in lawyer fees.

It's really hard not saying father or mother when i write this, i don't want to give one the blame, but there was a lot of assets and one of them was trying to just get it over with giving way more but the other kept pushing for more.

It ended up taking 3 years + and just sold everything (1 Home, 1 Home split with someone else to build, land) so I know how extremely frustrating it must be, I ended up never asking who got more, it just doesn't matter to me but I don't think it was the lawyers fault.
    I didn't blame every divorce lawyer for every mucky divorce. All I said is that the lawyers do not do these people a service in a lot of cases. There is definitely people that don't need any help being horrible when it comes to divorce, but if two people have the intention to just split things through mediation, they don't do themselves any favors by consulting with a lawyer.

My Ride
    4x4

Not the courts as much as it is the structure of the legal system.

Contested divorced really need to be assigned to a judge under a case management system. More than 3-4 applications and it should be shot straight into that program. I was over 50 appearances before the custody stuff really started. Random nonsensical applications mostly. Luckily she shot herself in the foot and put us into case management - a situation that didn't work well for what she was doing. Just let the judge see the ongoing insanity and chaos she was creating, when its the same judge every time for years - the process gets a lot more straightforward.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2