Quantcast
Developing my basement. Must haves? - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Developing my basement. Must haves?

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lol are you guys ever spoiled. It's a bar...it's not supposed to have dishes. Just a few glasses, which I wouldn't think should be too hard to wash in the sink. And if there are dishes, since they will be going back up to the kitchen anyway, what does it matter.

Here's my bar below when it's normal and when I wanna party and when I party the screen has stuff playing on it with 2 subs.
    Your bar is a very similar set up as mine... It even looks like you have a space in the lower cabinets next to the sink for a dishwasher...

I my mind, a dishwasher in a wet bar is for "basement" dishes... That means glasses and barware, but since we have kids, it's also dishes for, say, popcorn for the theatre room, etc... Like I said, for us, a practical wet bar actually means a mini kitchen, but I can see how others might see it as impractical or overkill.

To be clear, my current basement wet bar has a sink, a bar fridge and a wine cooler, but does not have a dishwasher or freezer / ice maker... It's not having those things that's made me realize how useful they'd be for us and they're definitely on the to-do list for the next place...

Lol are you guys ever spoiled. It's a bar...it's not supposed to have dishes. Just a few glasses, which I wouldn't think should be too hard to wash in the sink. And if there are dishes, since they will be going back up to the kitchen anyway, what does it matter.

Here's my bar below when it's normal and when I wanna party and when I party the screen has stuff playing on it with 2 subs.
    Did BASE end up hooking you up? I think it was you I was talking to and I think you bought from them. What equipment did you go with if you don't mind my asking?

My Ride
    This and that.

Quote Originally Posted by you&me View Post
    Your bar is a very similar set up as mine... It even looks like you have a space in the lower cabinets next to the sink for a dishwasher...

I my mind, a dishwasher in a wet bar is for "basement" dishes... That means glasses and barware, but since we have kids, it's also dishes for, say, popcorn for the theatre room, etc... Like I said, for us, a practical wet bar actually means a mini kitchen, but I can see how others might see it as impractical or overkill.

To be clear, my current basement wet bar has a sink, a bar fridge and a wine cooler, but does not have a dishwasher or freezer / ice maker... It's not having those things that's made me realize how useful they'd be for us and they're definitely on the to-do list for the next place...
    There is space there that you are able to see, however, I have a small glass bar fridge there currently for beer/pop etc.

I suppose I can see how someone might want a dishwasher in the basement but for my needs it wasn't needed. I purposely left it out as I contemplated it before the build was finished. The room to the left of the sink is actually vacant where I plan to have a glass wine 'cellar' built up along the wall just to enhance the area cosmetically somewhat.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Did BASE end up hooking you up? I think it was you I was talking to and I think you bought from them. What equipment did you go with if you don't mind my asking?
    I did end up talking to BASE quite a bit actually (and have referred a couple people after that) and I gotta say the owner (forget the name) was extremely helpful. I had planned to purchase everything from him and the equipment he quoted was coming around $9K'ish - which was pretty decent comparatively for the Epson projector(4050), receiver (something 1000, I forget) and Paradigm speakers. But the contractor I was dealing with and who had done the hardwiring ended up giving me all the speakers for no cost (get him to do a lot of work on various construction projects). I don't recall the exact speaker models but there are 7 JBL's and 2 Polk subs. The projector is Epson 4010 and I believe the receiver I ended up going with is Denon AVRX2600H. I was going to go with the one you had suggested (again I forget the name) as well as the projector I believe you had suggested a 4050 but I got absolutely smoking deals on the projector and receiver from Visions due to boxing day. If these speakers shit the bed, then the plan is to go for the Paradigm ones...just couldn't say no to free. Haha.

I can't complain about the setup though, love absolutely everything about it. The 2 subs really kick everything up a notch and I decided to do that last minute as initially was only going for 1 10" instead of 2.
    Last edited by shakalaka; 03-06-2020 at 02:36 PM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Bar fridge and Bar Dishwasher have the same purpose, it’s not that I don’t have a dishwasher elsewhere in the house just like I still have a fridge elsewhere in the house. Sure I could go to my kitchen to grab another beer, just like I can cart my dirty glassware back to the kitchen.

It’s mostly about convenience of those items being where you are using them, bonus points for additional drink and dishwashing capacity for when you need it or are entertaining.

In general is bar is a nice to have amenity, no one is pretending it’s 100% needed.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

I did end up talking to BASE quite a bit actually (and have referred a couple people after that) and I gotta say the owner (forget the name) was extremely helpful. I had planned to purchase everything from him and the equipment he quoted was coming around $9K'ish - which was pretty decent comparatively for the Epson projector(4050), receiver (something 1000, I forget) and Paradigm speakers. But the contractor I was dealing with initially ended up giving me all the speakers for not cost (get him to do a lot of work on various construction projects). I don't recall the exact speaker model numbers but there are 7 JBL's and 2 Polk subs. The projector is Epson 4010 and I believe the receiver I ended up going with Denon AVRX2600H. I was going with the one you suggested as well as the projector I believe you had said a 4050 but I got absolutely smoking deals on the projector and receiver from Vision due to boxing day. If these speakers shit the bed, then the plan is to go for the Paradigm ones...just couldn't say not to free. Haha.

I can't complain about the setup though, love absolutely everything about it. The 2 subs really kick everything up the notch and I decided to do that last minute as initially was only going for 1 10" instead of 2.
    Sounds like you did well, looks good too

Might want to get a rug on that hardwood floor though, it should make a noticeable difference in sound quality. Re-run the Audyssey room correction on your receiver if you do end up getting one.

My Ride
    This and that.

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Bar fridge and Bar Dishwasher have the same purpose, it’s not that I don’t have a dishwasher elsewhere in the house just like I still have a fridge elsewhere in the house. Sure I could go to my kitchen to grab another beer, just like I can cart my dirty glassware back to the kitchen.

It’s mostly about convenience of those items being where you are using them, bonus points for additional drink and dishwashing capacity for when you need it or are entertaining.

In general is bar is a nice to have amenity, no one is pretending it’s 100% needed.
    Here's how I look at it.

I am in the basement entertaining. If someone wants a cold beer, I am not going to repeatedly keep going upstairs to grab them one from the upstairs fridge. Presumably people will want more than one.

Same scenario. Whatever glasses are being used don't need to be run up and down repeatedly during the entertaining night for any reason. Everyone is hanging out in the basement, use the glasses, finish off and head out. At the end of the night whatever glasses are used can be washed off in the sink easily enough right there and left at the bar. I have a separate portion for a smaller upstairs bar if need be.

Now if you bring other dishes downstairs say because you had a causal event with some close people and you had the food sent downstairs and there are plates, spoons, bowls etc. None of that stuff is going to be left in the basement for good anyway which means it will head back upstairs regardless. Then just use the upstairs dishwasher.

I guess all I am saying is, for me there is no added convenience by having a dishwasher in the basement bar. In fact, to the contrary I feel it makes the bar look like the kitchen too much which is why I don't have one there. It is convenient for me to have a small bar fridge though. Anyway, kinda funny talking about this - reminds me of first world problems. Haha.
    Last edited by shakalaka; 03-06-2020 at 02:36 PM.

My Ride
    This and that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Sounds like you did well, looks good too

Might want to get a rug on that hardwood floor though, it should make a noticeable difference in sound quality. Re-run the Audyssey room correction on your receiver if you do end up getting one.
    Yes, I definitely enjoy it. Do thank you for all the help you offered. If you come to Edmonton, give me a shout, we will hang out! And yes, we are still working on furnishing the place slow and steady. Wife wanted to finish the upstairs before I did anything more in the basement. That being said, I am getting rid of those couches today actually as the proper comfy leather ones I ordered have arrived. Eventually would like to have a rug and a different centre table for sure.

This system has HEOS or whatever that is, but for my purposes it means I can run it off my phone which is cool. lol. I also got a Logitech system and while the remote is there, I can do all that with my phone as well so that's cool as well.
    Last edited by shakalaka; 03-06-2020 at 02:37 PM.

Yes, I definitely enjoy it. Do thank you for all the help you offered. If you come to Edmonton, give me a shout, we will hang out! And yes, we are still working on furnishing the place slow and steady. Wife wanted to finish the upstairs before I did anything more in the basement. That being said, I am getting rid of those couches today actually as the proper comfy leather ones I ordered have arrived. Eventually would like to have a rug and a different centre table for sure.

This system has HEOS or whatever that is, but for my purposes it means I can run it off my phone which is cool. lol. I also got a Logitech system and while the remote is there, I can do all that with my phone as well so that's cool as well.
    Sounds good Happy to help and I'm glad you're enjoying everything.

Yeah HEOS is Denon's streaming platform, it's pretty good - similar to Sonos etc.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Bar fridge for storing extra cans/bottles all the time is a nice to have. Always seem to run out of fridge space for parties and stuff.

An extra dishwasher in the basement, really? Must be a Aspen thing. I'd find that a pain in the ass to load, run and empty. Just another appliance to break, IMO. But I'm a peasant with only 1 dishwasher.

I wouldn't want a dishwasher in my basement bar, personally - starts to look too much like you have a basement suite. Also it's just another thing to break/leak. If it's running while watching Tv/Movies that would also be annoying depending how quiet it is. Our downstairs bar fridge is mostly full of beer cans/bottles so there isn't much need for a dishwasher anyway I guess.

My Ride
    a wrx.

Very cool!

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by GTS Jeff View Post
    Very cool!
    Legend!
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4