Quantcast
Getting rid of furniture - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Getting rid of furniture

My Ride
    This and that.

Default Getting rid of furniture

So I thought I made a thread about this here a couple of weeks ago but I can't seem to find it. And at the same time I feel I maybe thought about making one but never actually did. Not sure which one it is. I was out of the internet world pretty much completely for 8 days during my vacation last week and it's all a freakin blur.

Anyway, I've got a couple of couches that I want to get rid of. I don't care to sell them for any money per se so I am okay with donating them but I am trying to figure out the best way to do it. I Googled and a couple of agencies come up that pick them up for free but they write strict conditions like the furniture has to be in perfect condition and can't have any rips/damage etc.

While mine aren't perfect, they aren't bad per se in and I would continue using them had I not made arrangements for a better set up for my home theatre. They do have a couple scuffs in the corners due to the shitty moving job and 'overuse' if you can put it that way. I had them at my apartment for about 4 years.

I know I can throw them on Kijiji with the word free and likely will get a barrage of messages but the issue is I really don't want any randoms coming into my home and going to the basement to take them out. My worst case scenario is me bringing them up and putting them by the front door with the help of someone and getting them taken away from there but I am trying to see if there's anything else that I may be missing where I don't have to put that sort of effort into giving something away.

PS: I am in Edmonton and if a local (or not) Beyond member could have a use for them I am happy to send more details/pics. I'd feel more comfortable going that way vs a random on Kijiji. Also this would need to be done ASAP as I already have my other set waiting to be brought home.

The donation companies should take them as long as they are decent, corner scuffs are fine and they just don't want garbage. I worked for one in the past and we inspected all the pickups and would decline them if they were bad and we never declined any in my about 2 months of working with them. We also just had one picked up that was about 12 years old from a random company I called and no issues. Just call around and talk to them but you should do it quick if you have new furniture coming cause they usually have set pickup days.

I'm trying to give away a couch that is good condition on one side but the leather is starting to flake on the other side. What companies in Calgary will take it away cause Kijji buyers want me to deliver a free couch and its getting on my nerves.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I usually recommend the women in need society for this. They will pick up.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    This and that.

Yea these have minor scuffs and flakes sort of things. I am seeing these agencies have online forms where pictures can be attached so I will submit a couple of those requests and see what they say.

Quote Originally Posted by jabjab View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm trying to give away a couch that is good condition on one side but the leather is starting to flake on the other side. What companies in Calgary will take it away cause Kijji buyers want me to deliver a free couch and its getting on my nerves.
    Interfaith or Women in Need will come get it if it's in reasonable shape, we have given lots of stuff to both and it seemed to work out well. Couches are worthless on Kijiji/Facebook so if you can get someone to pick it up and bring it to a family in need, that's more than worth it IMO.