Quantcast
2020 F1 and Coronavirus - Page 11 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 F1 and Coronavirus

My Ride
    ute

Now that vettel is washed up... Is Hamilton the new most annoying driver?

My Ride
    Grimace

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Now that vettel is washed up... Is Hamilton the new most annoying driver?
    But he is taking more curb than me lol

Kimi: What the fuck, my whole wheel is off. Highlight of the race for me.

Saw on reddit, lewis loves to take podiums from albon and give them to mclaren
    Last edited by schocker; 07-05-2020 at 09:16 AM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Reflecting back on all this now with the replays, as awesome as it was that McLaren podium’d because of the penalty, Hamilton should not have been penalized. He left enough room for Albon, basically the minimum required as long as Albon used the curbs. He chose not to and paid the price.

You have lap 1 where Albon left even less room with Hamilton on the outside, where Hamilton had to drive off track to avoid a collision. You have last year where Max was on the inside and ran it to the curbs himself, forcing Leclerc off track and that was ruled a legit pass.

This is purely on Albon, inexperience, and impatience. Hamilton has every right to make the pass as difficult as possible for Albon, and I guess it was just too difficult for him.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    ute

Yeah, I was surprised at the penalty.

My Ride
    XT6

Albon has position on him and Hamilton probably could have turned more into the corner or it was a bit of understeer that kept him out.

Doesn’t much matter as Albon had engine problems shortly after. Albon also should have used the curb a bit more on the pass but I suspect he had Max’s issue in Practice fresh on his mind from FP2?

It did feel like we were robbed of a good finish though.
    Last edited by Chandler_Racing; 07-05-2020 at 01:06 PM.

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

I don't see how that wasn't a racing incident. They were fighting into the corner which Lewis appears to be ahead during breaking, but then Albon is ahead mid corner. Pretty tough penalty, but Albon should have just waited. He was on fresh soft tires. He could have scooped him up in a couple of corners.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Granted this is just a YouTube screen cap but I think Albon had the position and Hamilton just kept his line as though he wasn't there. I'd have to give this one to Albon.

Name:  F1.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  32.9 KB

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

Quote Originally Posted by davidI View Post
    Granted this is just a YouTube screen cap but I think Albon had the position and Hamilton just kept his line as though he wasn't there. I'd have to give this one to Albon.

For sure he's ahead in the mid corner, but he wasn't that far ahead or at all at the entry of the corner.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

You have the wrong screenshot.

This is what happens when he just kept his line as though he wasn't there.

Name:  C3471BA8-5048-4130-B95E-F2BACB74159A.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  109.1 KB

This is what you’re supposed to do on the outside when given less room:

https://streamable.com/wrfayo
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    You have the wrong screenshot.
    But in that case he was already ahead on the inside going into the corner. I don't see them as comparable.

Name:  F1 Brazil.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  52.7 KB

- - - Updated - - -

Just to contrast with today in Austria...

Name:  F1 Austria.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  53.5 KB

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

It’s a myth that there’s any rules about being ahead and having right of way or right to the racing line. That doesn’t exist. As long as you’re beside one another, it’s up to both parties not to hit each other. Because you’re ahead doesn’t mean it’s a free pass. The only rule in place is that you can’t crowd someone off the track, in which case Albon was guilty of twice on lap 1.

The only time where being ahead in a corner means the person getting passed has to get out of the way and give up the position is it you’re waved a blue flag. This is racing FFS.

It’s a myth that there’s any rules about being ahead and having right of way or right to the racing line. That doesn’t exist. As long as you’re beside one another, it’s up to both parties not to hit each other. Because you’re ahead doesn’t mean it’s a free pass. The only rule in place is that you can’t crowd someone off the track, in which case Albon was guilty of twice on lap 1.

The only time where being ahead in a corner means the person getting passed has to get out of the way and give up the position is it you’re waved a blue flag. This is racing FFS.
    Thank you, rage2.

Maybe it was a case of #44 pushing when he should've been pulling or vice versa. Who would know though?

My Ride
    Lariat 2.7 & StreetTriple R

Reflecting back on all this now with the replays, as awesome as it was that McLaren podium’d because of the penalty, Hamilton should not have been penalized. He left enough room for Albon, basically the minimum required as long as Albon used the curbs. He chose not to and paid the price.

You have lap 1 where Albon left even less room with Hamilton on the outside, where Hamilton had to drive off track to avoid a collision. You have last year where Max was on the inside and ran it to the curbs himself, forcing Leclerc off track and that was ruled a legit pass.

This is purely on Albon, inexperience, and impatience. Hamilton has every right to make the pass as difficult as possible for Albon, and I guess it was just too difficult for him.
    I really dont think HAM left enough room. Albon was almost off the track and hamilton still collided basically under-steering into him. Albon was also well ahead at that point of the corner. If anything Ham should have had more than a 5 second penalty given that he ruined Albon's race. Albon could have won the whole thing with the ailing mercedes and his fresh tires).
    Last edited by OTown; 07-05-2020 at 06:42 PM.

My Ride
    This and that.

I gotta say Hamilton didn’t do anything wrong imo. As much as I like Albon and want him to do well overall, this should have never been a penalty against Hamilton. Albon tried a manoeuvre which involved a risk and it was ultimately him that collided into Hamilton’s tire not the other way around. Luckily Hamilton didn’t spin out cause of Albon’s impatience for that matter.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    I gotta say Hamilton didn’t do anything wrong imo. As much as I like Albon and want him to do well overall, this should have never been a penalty against Hamilton. Albon tried a manoeuvre which involved a risk and it was ultimately him that collided into Hamilton’s tire not the other way around. Luckily Hamilton didn’t spin out cause of Albon’s impatience for that matter.
    I watched multiple people including Norris/Leclerc and multiple F2 races and both times the person on the outside had a better exit (as albon did) and no crash occured. Do you really think Hamilton had no fault on this? Hamilton took the racing line not thinking about the guy who had track position at mid-corner and upon impact was almost a full car length ahead. Lets not forget Albon's rear tire hit Ham's front tire.

It's pretty clear cut HAM penalty. FIA were all over that and really had no hesitation to give him a penalty. IMO if we want to argue about something it would be what the penalty should be, I think 5 sec for ruining someone's race (who could have won it) is pretty lenient and he got off pretty easy.

The fact that Hamilton in post-race interviews sorta accepted the penalty and didnt argue it should speak volumes. I'll give him credit for that, although I think he also thinks he got off pretty easy.

If we replaced hamilton with verstappen or any other driver involved everyone would be on the websites/message boards complaining.
    Last edited by OTown; 07-06-2020 at 12:19 AM.

My Ride

Perfect example: Norris (commentators erroniously called him Sainz) gave Leclerc enough room. Basically the same move and similar position.

Best move of the day IMO

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

True, but the racer behind has the better visibility and is behind. Should the driver ahead on the outside need to yield to the driver behind on the inside just so they can hold their line? Don't think so.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

True, but the racer behind has the better visibility and is behind. Should the driver ahead on the outside need to yield to the driver behind on the inside just so they can hold their line? Don't think so.
    The driver ahead should still be aware and minimize risk by using all the space available in case the driver on the inside went in too hot, and back out if needed. That’s the difference in experience. Look at lap 1 in the same scenario between the 2 with Hamilton on the outside. He backed out of both moves because Albon went even further and squeezed him completely off track. He came out of both attempts unscathed and was able to pass later when a better opportunity presented itself.

It’s the same argument as a pedestrian or cyclist has right of way against a car. Right of way doesn’t mean shit if you’re still going to lose out. My stance on the penalty being unjust is that Hamilton did leave room, Albon didn’t use all the room, which makes it a racing incident. You can’t penalize for the outcome because someone’s race got ruined in a racing incident.

My Ride
    Toyota’s

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    Exactly how I felt. Right off the safety car Albon was rammy as shit especially considering how tight the pack was, I remember watching and thinking "god damn kid you're gonna crash", and guess what...he crashed. Textbook example of immature racing.

Of course, there's also a reason he's in F1 and I drive a toyota. Can't really fault either driver, its just racing.

My Ride
    Grimace

Tried to watch the albon onboard but it is just blank and 10 hours long on f1tv. Norris onboard was neat though with the input on when to use overtake and for how long.

Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 ... LastLast