Quantcast
Doomsday scenario mindsets - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Doomsday scenario mindsets

My Ride
    370Z duhh

Default Doomsday scenario mindsets

Curious to know from fellow Beyonders, in a doomsday scenario, do you really care if you survive and why?

Me personally I've always lived my life as if life takes you where it wants.

There are clearly some on beyond here that are the fight and be last one standing types... to those Im curious, what is it about dying that you are afraid of? Or is it even the fear of dying that drives you? Perhaps you just want to be able to give your family the chance to survive and continue on? And let them decide in their own?

I think back to the first season of the walking dead where they're in the CDC building and the self destruct alarm is set and a couple of characters chose to stay... sometimes I wonder what decision I would make. The survivors on the show seem to go on to live even more fucked up lives... haven't watched the show in a while but things seem to get a whole lot worse.

At what point would you throw in the towel and say this place wasn't that great to begin with and it's going to hell right now, fuck it, let's roll the dice and see what happens after we die?
    Last edited by 370Z; 03-06-2020 at 12:34 PM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Are you saying if society changed substantially from what it’s like today you wouldn’t want to be alive?

What makes you think surviving in a post apocalyptic environment would be so bad that you wouldn’t want to give tomorrow a chance? Humans have an incredible ability to adapt to adversity.

I think our race has gone soft, and some real adversity would do us all some good and re-align our priorities.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    370Z duhh

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Are you saying if society changed substantially from what it’s like today you wouldn’t want to be alive?

What makes you think surviving in a post apocalyptic environment would be so bad that you wouldn’t want to give tomorrow a chance? Humans have an incredible ability to adapt to adversity.

I think our race has gone soft, and some real adversity would do us all some good and re-align our priorities.
    Very true....

I've obviously never been in this situation so who knows how I would react... maybe I would be a "Shane" who knows...

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post

+1, pretty much this.

Just to add. Given our timeline and how brutal we are as a species. There has not been a major war in the West (in our lifetime). So we have not been tested. I would not say our race. They are places in the world that people are tested on a every day basis.

To get a perspective. I talk to my parents and the crap they had to go through as young adults in 1950/60's rural India. No food, no jobs, no smartphones, no education, no real healthcare, blatant discrimination, no access to regular clean water. How much different is that to a post apocalyptic scenario?

Our society has become used to the convenient access to food, healthcare, antibiotics, modern farming. Its not that people do not want to be alive should something bad happen. They lack the ability to adapt to its environment. Some can. Hence Darwinism takes place. The one that can adapt to the changing environment survives.

My Ride
    ute

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by 370Z View Post
    Curious to know from fellow Beyonders, in a doomsday scenario, do you really care if you survive and why?
    There are several global 'doomsday'scenarios that could happen in our lifetime:

- solar flash/coronal mass ejection/ solar EMP, instantly transforming us into stone age people. This happens much more often than previously thought. We escaped one back in 2012, and not by much.
    - NUDET, global nuclear war; although Calgary would be spared a direct hit, the effects would definitely take place here

Both of these are slow death scenarios for people - not a pleasant way to die, esp here in the winter.

If at all possible we would try to head to a warmer climate as this is not a place you want to be in the winter with our way of life and lack of sustenance. Getting anywhere though, will be hard. You either migrate or die - or die along the way.

My Ride
    4x4

Quote Originally Posted by 370Z View Post
    I'll be that guy that they find 50yrs later in the woods oblivious to what's been happening

I'm good with that

My Ride
    is faster than yours

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    I'll be that guy that they find 50yrs later in the woods oblivious to what's been happening

I'm good with that
    That's pretty much me right now...and I'm good with that!

My Ride
    V8s

I've said a number of times in convos with friends and family that we need a war. That's obviously the last thing I want, but I think the fact that we are (over) a full generation removed from a massive global conflict is a significant contributor to our society as a whole being comprised of a bunch of li'l bitches.

Dibs on killramos's wet bar.

My Ride
    Nothing worth mentioning.

I am Negan.

I think I would fight and adapt in a serious doomsday scenario (Zombie apocalypse type shit) but I could also see the scenario where maybe you have lost everybody you love and hitting a severe depression and saying fuck it... Hard to say I guess until you are in the situation. Everybody likes to think they are hard and tough and could survive just about anything, but I think a very small percentage of people have what it takes truly.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    Dibs on killramos's wet bar.
    It’s for sale haha, you are free to make an offer. Comes with a whole house.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

13 posts in and ZenOps hasn't posted?! He ok?

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

I think I'd really want to survive, I don't want to die, I'm simply not done yet. I often hear of very old people saying they're OK to die, I hope that's true and that I get to that mindset someday. I've always been very good at making the most out of anything and a tiny part of me is interested in how I'd pull it off if the world turned upside down. I suppose I could just move to Detroit to dip my toe in the post apocalyptic waters and see how I fare

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    13 posts in and ZenOps hasn't posted?! He ok?
    Oh I'm sure he's still typing, prepare for wall o' text!

My Ride
    4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Swank View Post
    Oh I'm sure he's still typing, prepare for wall o' text!
    He's headed to Sudbury to lay claim to the nickle deposits...

May take a few days

My Ride
    Silverado

Quote Originally Posted by 370z View Post
    ...i think back to the first season of the walking dead where they're in the cdc building and the self destruct alarm is set and a couple of characters chose to stay... but the show gets a whole lot worse!
    qft

Anything goes, so gassing enemies would become routine. Good luck with the bullets. Chlorine gas all the way.

My Ride
    '73 Buick, '03 Ruckus, '18 Tundra

It's not that i am afraid of death, it's just if civilization took a big turn i am confident i can survive.

My Ride
    This and that.

While I don't think I am afraid of dying, but if shit hits the fan, I would hope that I would do anything and everything to survive. But that's more so just my personality of wanting to win at everything. Haha. Apparently I am way too competitive according to my wife.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast