Quantcast
Coronavirus Workplace thread - Page 71 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 71 of 72 FirstFirst ... 61 70 71 72 LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,420 of 1424

Thread: Coronavirus Workplace thread

  1. #1401
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    YYC
    Posts
    3,272
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Itís a hard life for a giggalo.

    Much easier to work for a pimp.
    That's why you gotta side hustle with fish tank cleaning.

  2. #1402
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Not the NE
    My Ride
    Blue Dabadee
    Posts
    6,446
    Rep Power
    49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zechs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Your employment is contingent on you working continual extra unpaid time?

    Huh.

    Note to self - find employees who will work for free

    Also note - That isn't what Tik-Tok said at all, he said his wife chooses to do so when her normal day is 8 hours. Hence my weirdo comment, I know a few people like this.
    Contingent relative to the next guy yes.

    This whole “unpaid time” concept is hilarious.

    People who work jobs versus people who have careers is always a hilarious dichotomy
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.

  3. #1403
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Fiesta ST
    Posts
    985
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Contingent relative to the next guy yes.

    This whole “unpaid time” concept is hilarious.

    People who work jobs versus people who have careers is always a hilarious dichotomy
    Yup. It's not unpaid time, it's investing time in my career to advance forward. I am where I'm at right now because I was the best at what I do. I got pushed forward on larger projects and recognized by clients.

    Career advancement is very much who you know rather than what you know, having those connections opens up more doors down the road. New job -> More money -> Worth the sacrifice early on.

    Now once I get older I'll probably coast more and enjoy the spoils of my career but for right now I'm still young and eager. Plus I love my career.
    Nolan

  4. #1404
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    TRD Pro
    Posts
    2,402
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Ugh, as of December 13th all seating in foodcourts will be taken away AND +15 will be closed untill January 12th!

  5. #1405
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Calgary AB
    My Ride
    car2go
    Posts
    2,907
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by R-Audi View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ugh, as of December 13th all seating in foodcourts will be taken away AND +15 will be closed untill January 12th!
    I bet this affects more homeless people than DT office employees.

  6. #1406
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    10,313
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by R-Audi View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ugh, as of December 13th all seating in foodcourts will be taken away AND +15 will be closed untill January 12th!
    Isn't DT effectively closed unless you physically have to be in the office to do your job as of Monday? That's the impression I got but maybe I misunderstood something.

    I remember the +15 closures being particularly annoying before.

  7. #1407
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    TRD Pro
    Posts
    2,402
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    That would certainly depend on your job... My company is more in the Office leasing and service related side, so we have to be there for tenants. At this point its mostly law firms/lawyers that will still be around and essential IT staff. Im guessing it will be like June when we first came back, except the +15 was open and you could still sit in the Suncor foodcourt.
    I park in one building and work in another, so I will have to start bringing a jacket if it gets cold.

  8. #1408
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Strathmore
    My Ride
    2004 Dirtymax
    Posts
    1,846
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Just got word that keeping with the COVID-19 restrictions imposed by the GoVA, the City of Calgary has mandated that the Plus 15 network be closed to all public places as of Sunday December 13th, 2020 and will remain in place through Tuesday Jan 12th, 2021

    https://www.calgary.ca/transportatio...direct=/plus15

  9. #1409
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Ride
    GLC43
    Posts
    8,560
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just got word that keeping with the COVID-19 restrictions imposed by the GoVA, the City of Calgary has mandated that the Plus 15 network be closed to all public places as of Sunday December 13th, 2020 and will remain in place through Tuesday Jan 12th, 2021

    https://www.calgary.ca/transportatio...direct=/plus15
    Kids is going to be off school in a week and most are WFH anyway, impact should be minimal.

  10. #1410
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    403
    My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's
    Posts
    6,137
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Isn't DT effectively closed unless you physically have to be in the office to do your job as of Monday? That's the impression I got but maybe I misunderstood something.

    I remember the +15 closures being particularly annoying before.
    Employers get to decide if their staff being in the office is require to not reduce operational effectiveness..... so yea. Loop-hole city right there.

  11. #1411
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    10,313
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Employers get to decide if their staff being in the office is require to not reduce operational effectiveness..... so yea. Loop-hole city right there.
    Ah, I see. I didn't realize that was the exact wording. Loop hole is right haha.

  12. #1412
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    NE
    My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, KTM
    Posts
    1,506
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Employers get to decide if their staff being in the office is require to not reduce operational effectiveness..... so yea. Loop-hole city right there.
    well i think that's fair, one of my guys doesn't even have a computer so he cant work remote haha, and all our computers are being used..

  13. #1413
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Ride
    GLC43
    Posts
    8,560
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ah, I see. I didn't realize that was the exact wording. Loop hole is right haha.
    Every single one in my team have kids in school except myself and another guy. So if we need to go in, it's me until COVID gets me then it's the other guy.

    Trying to keep other members away from office both for theirs and our sake.

    We basically allow people to be in office if they want to (with daily contact tracing paper work) until this week. Now it's everyone home unless absolutely necessary or with director approval.

  14. #1414
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    YYC
    Posts
    3,272
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by R-Audi View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I park in one building and work in another, so I will have to start bringing a jacket if it gets cold.
    Same here and found some were not locked others were. Try finding your way out to the street from that network. It can be a challenge with locked doors.
    Not too bad in summer. In the fall, I used the +15 mostly to avoid the homeless telling me it was a hoax or the machine wanted this to happen!

  15. #1415
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Beyond
    Posts
    1,996
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    To be fair, the alternative is to spend time with tik-tok
    Or leave Alberta. Trust me, it's easier than you think.
    Was the #1 Forum Warrior

  16. #1416
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Ride
    GLC43
    Posts
    8,560
    Rep Power
    22

    Default


  17. #1417
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    75
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Contingent relative to the next guy yes.

    This whole “unpaid time” concept is hilarious.

    People who work jobs versus people who have careers is always a hilarious dichotomy
    Usually your response is by someone who thinks they can't be replaced. You giving such little value to your time that you'll work for no compensation is fine, but it won't protect you from being laid off the moment they need to cut people.

    I've seen many do what you say, and it hasn't stopped them from being unemployed for two years. You can act like its somehow brilliance on your part to do so, and maybe it is rewarded in other ways in your specific case that is not cold hard cash in the form of a paycheque, but again, in the case of tiktok, nothing changed for his wife and yet she still puts in more time simply by virtue of being work from home.

    Notice that nobody is going to come out directly and say "I did all that, still got fucked, and am going bankrupt". Classic survivor bias for you and Pheoxs.

    Which is fine. I'm glad you two are doing well, its different strokes. But in the long run, that time is rarely paid back is my anecdotal evidence. You even see it in the threads of people on this very forum having their eyes opened by being WFH how much they missed with families and friends.

  18. #1418
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Not the NE
    My Ride
    Blue Dabadee
    Posts
    6,446
    Rep Power
    49

    Default

    If you think you can do better somewhere else, you know where the door is.

    It’s very simple
    Last edited by killramos; 12-18-2020 at 12:53 PM.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.

  19. #1419
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Calgary AB
    My Ride
    car2go
    Posts
    2,907
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zechs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Usually your response is by someone who thinks they can't be replaced. You giving such little value to your time that you'll work for no compensation is fine, but it won't protect you from being laid off the moment they need to cut people.

    I've seen many do what you say, and it hasn't stopped them from being unemployed for two years. You can act like its somehow brilliance on your part to do so, and maybe it is rewarded in other ways in your specific case that is not cold hard cash in the form of a paycheque, but again, in the case of tiktok, nothing changed for his wife and yet she still puts in more time simply by virtue of being work from home.

    Notice that nobody is going to come out directly and say "I did all that, still got fucked, and am going bankrupt". Classic survivor bias for you and Pheoxs.

    Which is fine. I'm glad you two are doing well, its different strokes. But in the long run, that time is rarely paid back is my anecdotal evidence. You even see it in the threads of people on this very forum having their eyes opened by being WFH how much they missed with families and friends.
    It's not just job security; disregard that if you want. It's about increasing opportunity for, and probability of, advancement.

    How many Director/VP/C-suite employees do you think are out there that work only 8-4? Hint: none. They work long hours (and have done so for their entire career).

    Now go google compensation for leadership positions in large companies (pick a company, I don't care which one), and tell me that time isn't "paid back" get a grip.

    edit: perspective is a funny thing. Your point of reference is around a person saving their job when cuts need to be made. For many people that are working all that unpaid time, being in the bottom isn't even a consideration. It's about being in the 95th percentile. If they are working that extra time for fear of getting cut, chances are they'd get cut at some point regardless, so I suppose your point holds true for underperformers.
    Last edited by cjblair; 12-18-2020 at 01:43 PM.

  20. #1420
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duplex
    My Ride
    Ignore List
    Posts
    9,075
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    The few top level executives I know all worked insane hours for decades. The $/hr works out okay for them.

    Its the mid-level folks who work long overtime that are deluding themselves.
    Let's all work on positivity this week.

Page 71 of 72 FirstFirst ... 61 70 71 72 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19)

    By Xtrema in forum Society / Law / Current Events / Politics
    Replies: 15085
    Latest Threads: Today, 11:38 AM
  2. Is The Coronavirus Impacting Your Travel Decisions?

    By freshprince1 in forum Travel and Vacation
    Replies: 1133
    Latest Threads: 05-12-2021, 08:43 PM
  3. 2020 F1 and Coronavirus

    By Xtrema in forum Formula 1
    Replies: 617
    Latest Threads: 01-18-2021, 12:39 PM
  4. Coronavirus vs Investing

    By 2BLUE in forum Real Estate / Finance
    Replies: 1151
    Latest Threads: 01-05-2021, 05:30 PM
  5. Can we get a Coronavirus sub-forum?

    By ExtraSlow in forum Suggestion/Comment Box/Forum Related Stuff
    Replies: 52
    Latest Threads: 11-02-2020, 09:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •