Quantcast
Coronavirus Workplace thread - Page 22 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 22 of 72 FirstFirst ... 12 21 22 23 32 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus Workplace thread

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Makes my job extra fun right now... Calling all these employers to verify that their employees are still getting paid. Big corps isn’t bad... but calling a small business owner asking if they plan on keep paying their staff(/family essentially) is fucking awful... thank god the wine fridge is still full

My Ride
    something green

Quote Originally Posted by Darell_n View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I sent my first guy home from the construction site I’m at. His wife is a nurse at Peter Lougheed and was starting to feel ill this morning, now is full of meds. I’ve finished my IKEA cabinet hoarding so I’m good at home for 2 weeks, need be.
    I'm putting work projects on hold now and just doing urgent trouble calls as they come.
    My NH3 respirator mask hopefully is good enough.
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    2013 328i, 2020 BMW F900 XR

So I have a techie question. My laptop is supposed to be able to display 2 extra monitors. I couldn't find a bridge anywhere, so i got a vga to hdmi connector and a usb-c to vga connector. The guys at Memory express said this should work, but the usb-c connection isn't working and I can only get 1 extra monitor to work. Any thoughts? I need this for tomorrow. It's a new laptop (msi gaming computer), and it's not helping.

Thanks

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Quote Originally Posted by gmc72 View Post
    So I have a techie question. My laptop is supposed to be able to display 2 extra monitors. I couldn't find a bridge anywhere, so i got a vga to hdmi connector and a usb-c to vga connector. The guys at Memory express said this should work, but the usb-c connection isn't working and I can only get 1 extra monitor to work. Any thoughts? I need this for tomorrow. It's a new laptop (msi gaming computer), and it's not helping.

Thanks
    Double-check the laptop specs. Some laptops with 3 Video outs can only use 2 of the 3 at one time. Often the HDMI and USB3 are on the same video card and only 1 of the 2 can be used.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

I needed to use a dock to get 3 going... but damn was it worth it!

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by gmc72 View Post

Thanks
    You likely need to do both extra monitors through the USB-C for it to work. Something like this:

https://www.amazon.ca/Monoprice-USB-...dp/B07D7L2C55/

My Ride
    GLS63 AMG

So far I haven't noticed a decrease in work load although our company laid off an HVAC tech due to "lack of work", although I'm pretty sure the real reason they cut him loose is because he was the guy who never showed up to work on time. Also ironically because they laid him off and he was on call this week I've had to work yesterday and have been out several times today as a result of having to take over his on call. Last Friday the company had decided to dispatch us from home starting tomorrow as we usually all meet at the shop first thing in the morning during the week.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

^^^still same place? That’s probably for the best. I don’t think it would be possible to disinfect that shop

My Ride
    GLS63 AMG

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    ^^^still same place? That’s probably for the best. I don’t think it would be possible to disinfect that shop
    Yeap just about been here 13 years now, boy Eric the company you and I knew back when you were here is not the same company it is today let me tell you that much. I often wonder how the hell we were able to maintain the customer base we had back then with what we had for "field technicians", now we have reliable guys(well except for that one guy lol) and a separate shop for the Plumbing/HVAC/Office from the Drain division. Its almost insane how this company has been so well insulated from the recession but I guess we'll see how well we do during the covid outbreak.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Well that’s good to hear! Less dream centre hires I take it? Haha... man the stories we have

My Ride
    GLS63 AMG

Well that’s good to hear! Less dream centre hires I take it? Haha... man the stories we have
    I can't remember exactly how long ago it was that we stopped hiring them but I had been in Plumbing division for a couple years when the last of them got canned and the owner decided to look elsewhere for talent as he finally got sick of being burned by these guys.

Since Thursday I’ve been experiencing problems with my work VPN. I’m on Shaw BlueCurve. The VPN says it’s connected, but I eventually lose the ability to reach corporate servers. The internet connection is fine. I’ve tried both wired and wifi. I hotspotted to my phone and it started working again, which is why I think the problem is with my Shaw connection and not the VPN.

Would using an external router help? I’m currently just using just the XB6.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by holden View Post
    Since Thursday I’ve been experiencing problems with my work VPN. I’m on Shaw BlueCurve. The VPN says it’s connected, but I eventually lose the ability to reach corporate servers. The internet connection is fine. I’ve tried both wired and wifi. I hotspotted to my phone and it started working again, which is why I think the problem is with my Shaw connection and not the VPN.

Have you asked any co-workers? It could be on your corporate side that they didn't scale enough to handle all the remote traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Have you asked any co-workers? It could be on your corporate side that they didn't scale enough to handle all the remote traffic.
    Yeah, we have hundreds, if not thousands working remotely now. Probably 30+ selectable gateways around the world. Some complain about slowness, but none of my coworkers is experiencing this. I’m going to my another house tonight to test it from there.

My Ride
    2013 328i, 2020 BMW F900 XR

Quote Originally Posted by The_Penguin View Post
    Double-check the laptop specs. Some laptops with 3 Video outs can only use 2 of the 3 at one time. Often the HDMI and USB3 are on the same video card and only 1 of the 2 can be used.
    I needed to use a dock to get 3 going... but damn was it worth it!
    Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    You likely need to do both extra monitors through the USB-C for it to work. Something like this:

https://www.amazon.ca/Monoprice-USB-...dp/B07D7L2C55/
    Took the laptop back and spent an hour trying to find one that would work. Eventually found one. All set up now!!

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Running dual WAN at home, seeing some issues and the firewall is bouncing back and forth between Telus and Shaw connections (im with Teksavvy) - glad to have fall back for either.

The bandwidth usage must be insane for them - its perfect storm for one of them to run into issues as well.

Went to my dad's place and the issues disappeared. Tried swapping my XB6 modem with his older Hitron. The problems appeared at his place and disappeared at mine. So does Shaw still have older modems to give out? Also, would an external router have solved the issue? I don't have one handy to try.

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

Went to my dad's place and the issues disappeared. Tried swapping my XB6 modem with his older Hitron. The problems appeared at his place and disappeared at mine. So does Shaw still have older modems to give out? Also, would an external router have solved the issue? I don't have one handy to try.
    FFS this makes me dread my forced return to Shaw...
    As for your question, yes, they should have other modems to hand out. They still advertise the old Cisco DPC3848V.
    When I was with Shaw a couple of years ago, I had an absolute bitch of a time with the Hitron modems, went through three different ones with no solution so I ended up asking for the old Cisco which solved most of my problems. That being said, the intel chipset in both the Hitron and Cisco modems has a fatal flaw in it, so you’re supposed to ask for the Technicolor variant of the new XB6 which uses a Broadcom chipset which doesn’t contain that flaw.

My Ride
    Bicycle

The old trusty Nighthawk R7000 started to crap out either against the VPN tunnell or the new laptop/wifi driver.

Got a ASUS wifi 6 router coming to see if that will help.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Finally joined Team WFH. The cable jungle in the back is gonna drive me nuts.

Name:  _DSC3477.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  64.5 KB

Page 22 of 72 FirstFirst ... 12 21 22 23 32 ... LastLast