Quantcast
Coronavirus Workplace thread - Page 19 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 19 of 72 FirstFirst ... 9 18 19 20 29 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus Workplace thread

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

Quote Originally Posted by spikerS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I will check things tonight as I am on night shifts this week. the team working today is pretty good so they should be able to rectify things pretty quick.
    I'm really curious to know if there is anything that can be done, I'm no CO tech by any stretch but they can't just add more circuits in every CO at a whim, can they?

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    I really have zero idea how anything is setup, but I mean something tells me that they are probably running onsite exchange, probably 1 or 2 servers doing everything.

I mean they don't even give unique passwords to their users, they have some form of spreadsheet or something that they store a random generated password for everyone.

My girlfriend needed her password and I was like "how do you not know it?" and she replied because I never set one and rely on the admins to give it.

It completely boggles my mind.
    Without knowing any more details, I'd wager its one of their end users doing something they shouldn't more so than anything ... Dealing with stupid users is the hardest part of IT

My Ride
    2020 Genesis G70

Quote Originally Posted by 370Z View Post
    Wow that's heartless on the cops part, but in times like this, governments need every penny they can get... slow down bud lol
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Did he take a breath sample? haha
    I thought it was pretty pointless as I was on a quiet 3 lane road at 7am and going 98 in an 80 so not crazy or anything. What bothers me most is with the massive insurance increases right now this won't help.

And I was tempted to start coughing all over my paperwork as I handed it to him, but again, at that point I was being polite hoping for no ticket. No such luck. I did feel better as the car spit some gravel at him as I pulled away at a decent clip.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Quote Originally Posted by Swank View Post
    I'm really curious to know if there is anything that can be done, I'm no CO tech by any stretch but they can't just add more circuits in every CO at a whim, can they?
    If it is what I think it is, it's not something at the CO level anyways. My first guess is trunking capacity, and if it is, it is as simple as adding additional unused fibre wavelengths to boost that capacity. TELUS has been pretty smart the last 10 years and building extra capacity and redundancy in both equipment and transmission for quite some time to boost the network reliability to where it is today where almost nothing causes customer outages anymore. So in most cases, there is extra "bandwidth" available for most things and it is just as simple as provisioning it.

Mind you, this is me talking without logging into work and checking things out and seeing where issues lie.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

No work from home for dealership employees BUT we just implemented temporary shorter hours. Parts/Service was 7:30-6 Monday-Fridays, Sales/Finance was 9am-8pm. Now we're all 8-5.

But the funny part is Saturdays, we were 9-4:30pm, now we're 9-4. That 30 mins will make a big impact on the Social Distancing
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by The_Penguin View Post
    A lot of companies consider split-tunneling a security risk. Your computer is simultaneously connected to the Internet, and the corporate LAN.
    Personally I do it, but I also don't do any insecure Internetty things on my laptop.
    It's the last thing to do after getting a bigger pipe isn't possible and after traffic shaping by turning off all social media and video streaming site doesn't stop it.

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    Do they have ports other than 443 that go into their network? Why?

Should they even have 443?
    I won't even host website on on-prem gear. Send that shit out to the cloud to reduce attack surface.

It's Abbotsford, probably low tier IT working for billable hours and company too small to spend real $.

As much as I love to bitch IT out, I do understand the ways their hands can be tied and recommendation not followed because decision maker doesn't want to spend.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 03-18-2020 at 05:01 PM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    As much as I love to bitch IT out, I do understand the ways their hands can be tied and recommendation not followed because decision maker doesn't want to spend.
    @Mar is that you?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

If it is what I think it is, it's not something at the CO level anyways. My first guess is trunking capacity, and if it is, it is as simple as adding additional unused fibre wavelengths to boost that capacity. TELUS has been pretty smart the last 10 years and building extra capacity and redundancy in both equipment and transmission for quite some time to boost the network reliability to where it is today where almost nothing causes customer outages anymore. So in most cases, there is extra "bandwidth" available for most things and it is just as simple as provisioning it.

Mind you, this is me talking without logging into work and checking things out and seeing where issues lie.
    Pretty much spot on. There is a change order going in tonight to expand trunking capacity, so with any luck, if you are on TELUS, you shouldn't see the congestion issues you saw today.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    @Mar is that you?
    I am the decision maker for all IT related purchases at our company but I'm usually the guy saying no because people want dumb shit like a second computer to avoid carrying their laptop home.
    I tried to go back and understand what is even going on in this thread, it's like literal spaghetti. What's wrong with this guy's IT? Is it something with the phones? I recently switched our entire telecom from an on premise PBX to 3CX hosted on an Amazon server and it's one of the best decisions I've made.

Also someone on the previous page got a speeding ticket today? I got one on Monday, my first one in a very long time. Funny enough it was in the Hyundai and not the Porsche.
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

The wife is working from home 85% of the time now. Her department has offered a bunch of them all the OT they want if they want to cover other departments sick time.

So theyll get paid their time at home regardless and can go cover a shift elsewhere getting straight OT the entire time. Pretty cushy offer have.

Quote Originally Posted by blownz View Post
    So I love the quiet drive to and from work now, but it was apparently too quiet this morning since I was pulled over for speeding and window tint. First speeding ticket in about 10 years (aside from photo radar) and first tint in about 15 or 20 years. I wanted to tell him he was too close to me and I didn't want to have my license and registration infected by handing them to him but thought that would have made it worse. Total of about $250. I guess I am saving lots of money by not going out...
    Should have done this:

Name:  Screenshot_20200312-125445.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  49.0 KB

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    Should have done this:

Name:  Screenshot_20200312-125445.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  49.0 KB
    My team in India have been passing this pic around saying that guy looks exactly like me.

I guess Indians not only can't tell Chinese people apart, they mistaken us for white people too.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

They know the driver isn't in a Mercedes-Benz, right? Haha

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

Pretty much spot on. There is a change order going in tonight to expand trunking capacity, so with any luck, if you are on TELUS, you shouldn't see the congestion issues you saw today.
    Wicked, thanks for the update, hopefully other carriers follow suit wherever possible.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Quote Originally Posted by blownz View Post
    So I love the quiet drive to and from work now, but it was apparently too quiet this morning since I was pulled over for speeding and window tint. First speeding ticket in about 10 years (aside from photo radar) and first tint in about 15 or 20 years. I wanted to tell him he was too close to me and I didn't want to have my license and registration infected by handing them to him but thought that would have made it worse. Total of about $250. I guess I am saving lots of money by not going out...
    Shoulda coughed on your DL and registration before you handed it to him haha.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Quote Originally Posted by Swank View Post
    Wicked, thanks for the update, hopefully other carriers follow suit wherever possible.
    Funny you mention that...there is congestion again today, but it is all inter-carrier. Need them to follow suit now...I am making an assumption here, I finished work at 6am, I just saw an email about intercarrier congestion. I know we put in a few changes last night that increased trunking, so I assume it is now on their end.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Big safety meeting about covid, use precautions, anyone working within 6 feet of eachother to use a mask...

Followed immediately by lunch where an entire department did their normal Thursday potluck

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

Funny you mention that...there is congestion again today, but it is all inter-carrier. Need them to follow suit now...I am making an assumption here, I finished work at 6am, I just saw an email about intercarrier congestion. I know we put in a few changes last night that increased trunking, so I assume it is now on their end.
    That doesn't surprise me, it will take time for all of the bottlenecks to be addressed. I expect cell tower capacity to be an issue too with so many people having switched from landline to cellular.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Those with VoIP phones at work (probably almost all offices):

My boss had the genius idea that taking the phone home, it would just work with any hardwire to the internet.
    Unfortunately our company routes calls through an internal server.

Check if your companies use internal or external servers?

My Ride
    is faster than yours

Doing WFH and this has felt like the longest week ever...is it just me?

Page 19 of 72 FirstFirst ... 9 18 19 20 29 ... LastLast