Quantcast
Coronavirus Workplace thread - Page 30 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 30 of 72 FirstFirst ... 20 29 30 31 40 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus Workplace thread

My Ride
    V8s

Man, some of ya'll seem to have great work/life balance.

I can't think of a single person that I work with that "unplugs" at 5pm. This isn't meant as a complaint at all, I'm happy where I am and it's great to be working with people who are all highly motivated/engaged. Every once in a while though, I get a reminder that there are people out there living the union worker 9-5 life

As it pertains to the topic at hand, we are all used to some level of remote work at my company, and WFH has been super easy transition. Given that we all worked long hours before, and brought our laptops home anyways, it's not any more demanding. I know my group's been a lot more efficient, as we don't have to entertain anyone that stops by the office for idle chit chat. Meetings and engagements are all meaningful, and when not on a call it's easy to focus and get work done.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Aside from the Groundhog Day aspect of it all I am embracing the WFH. Can have better meals. Spend more time with family. More sleep. More downtime. Can take breaks by doing something productive around the house rather than surf the +15s and eat a bear claw.

The only thing that has really been a drag has been lack of physical activity that comes from being up and about all day, even just small things like walking around the office to other floors or through +15 for a coffee or lunch meeting. A lot of sitting with WFH.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Aside from the Groundhog Day aspect of it all I am embracing the WFH. Can have better meals. Spend more time with family. More sleep. More downtime. Can take breaks by doing something productive around the house rather than surf the +15s and eat a bear claw.

The only thing that has really been a drag has been lack of physical activity that comes from being up and about all day, even just small things like walking around the office to other floors or through +15 for a coffee or lunch meeting. A lot of sitting with WFH.
    Just set up sprints: x mins of work, x mins of stretching or do mountain climbers

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

The WFH conversation really shows who is an extrovert/introvert and also who has kids... me? Loooove home, zero reasons to leave. Do not have work related anything on personal devices... open work laptop at 8:30 and close it at 5. Easy stuff to separate

For movement: office upstairs, everything else downstairs... still have to go for a “walk to the kitchen” plus also have zwift which I ride when I take my full god damn hour at lunch

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    The WFH conversation really shows who is an extrovert/introvert and also who has kids... me? Loooove home, zero reasons to leave. Do not have work related anything on personal devices... open work laptop at 8:30 and close it at 5. Easy stuff to separate
    It’s not all bad. I like what I do, and tbh the kind of shit that comes up at 8pm on a Thursday is some of the coolest and most engaging work I do. The annoying work and dealing with peoples bs is what happens during the 9-5.

I’m pretty much never unplugged, but that doesn’t mean you can’t find time for yourself. I know lots of people this wouldn’t work for, even at my company. Just the nature of the job you want/have I guess.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

On the bright side for me at least. More WFH = less clogged toilets to plunge. Some office workers I tells ya. Just because single ply toilet paper is free doesn't mean that you need to mummify your hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Yeah previous role I was always “on” ...fucking sales. Enjoying the shift. There are no real emergencies that need attending to after hours in this profession... plus everything revolves around the Toronto office so working till 5pm is essentially already extended support haha. Love logging on at 8:30am to shitstorms though

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    Man, some of ya'll seem to have great work/life balance.

I can't think of a single person that I work with that "unplugs" at 5pm. This isn't meant as a complaint at all, I'm happy where I am and it's great to be working with people who are all highly motivated/engaged. Every once in a while though, I get a reminder that there are people out there living the union worker 9-5 life
    I get to the office for 8 and only manage to leave around 5 on Friday's. I just prefer to keep work at the office and home life at home. Mind you, there are always going to be some calls and emails that come through when working on various projects that can disturb the home balance, but i just find there is zero line between the two now.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

For those worried about losing their downtown parking.. there will be a new Company offering cheap downtown underground parking in a central location come May/June. (Depending on when this shit clears up) I beleive right on 5th Ave..

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by R-Audi View Post
    For those worried about losing their downtown parking.. there will be a new Company offering cheap downtown underground parking in a central location come May/June. (Depending on when this shit clears up) I beleive right on 5th Ave..
    Define cheap.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I did the math on my parking, I need to be in the office 20 days a month to make my parking worth it compared to buying prepaid parking tickets, and even if we were back to work May 1 I only average 19.25 in office days a month between office closures and stats for the rest of the year. Assuming I take no vacation. If we are still WFH for any amount past May 1 I start winning big time by cancelling.

I’m going to be cancelling and see how it goes. Got a feeling there will be some deals to be had by September/October when I’m done with vacation time usage hahaha

fact.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    Define cheap.
    Cheaper than the Bow, sub $400.. For central parking in an A/AA building on 5th Ave.

I cancelled my Impark effective end of April.

They just didn't care about the current situation and simply held me to the terms of my agreement.

Just more reason to shop around when / if we do get back to the core...
    2011 Ram 1500 QC Sport
    2017 Jeep Cherokee Limited

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

I did the math on my parking, I need to be in the office 20 days a month to make my parking worth it compared to buying prepaid parking tickets, and even if we were back to work May 1 I only average 19.25 in office days a month between office closures and stats for the rest of the year. Assuming I take no vacation. If we are still WFH for any amount past May 1 I start winning big time by cancelling.

I’m going to be cancelling and see how it goes. Got a feeling there will be some deals to be had by September/October when I’m done with vacation time usage hahaha
    This was it for me. James short I can park 18 days a month for less than it'd cost me as a monthly passholder there or at one of the nearby parkades. Pretty easy to just bike or walk to work a handful of times a month and come ahead.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

lol @ setting hard work hours. Do some of you work at walmart or what? I thought we were all VP's, SPM's or Senior something, except speed who is just a senior.

I'm really torn about the whole WFH deal. On the one hand there is a lot more time that I get to see my lady through the day. We have water-cooler chats and sometimes given the nature of her job, I can help proof/bounce ideas. We both struggle with the isolation aspect, even moreso living downtown where it is now eerily quiet all the time. We will videochat our friends. She has taken over half of our dining area, I have the office. There's some separation, but we can both sort of hear each other on calls. Her and her team have a lot more conference calls then I do, so sometimes it can be a touch distracting. I'm normally trying to block out noise, I like quiet when I work.

I enjoy being able to make or comfortably eat whatever I want without having to worry in the slightest about what it smells like or how long the preparation... garlic for days.

With all of that said, this situation has really exposed some lazy individuals in my firm. Their productivity was already small c concerning, but if you aren't particularly motivated then WFH can be a death sentence for your career. It's difficult to skid specialized individuals in a time like now because of how hard it would be to train someone to come up to speed. We'll find a way I'm sure.

All of us from VP to project coordinators are grinding from early morning till lateish evening. We are really busy. Lots of engineering/estimating/quoting. A lot of helping consultants/engineers. I work from about 5:30am until 7pm everyday during this WFH stint, some hours on weekends to catch up. Usually I work 7am to 4:30-5:00 pm in the office, then a few hrs at home depending on level of emergency, normally.

I really enjoy what I do so for me it's kind of nice having the extra time and space to work aggravation free from any outside sales donkeys or office shenanigans. I will admit I miss my team and it has really solidified my opinions about how much I love (almost all of) them.
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    I say we slow down the spinning of the earth so that there is 25 hours in the day.

Join me.

Quote Originally Posted by R154 View Post
    lol @ setting hard work hours. Do some of you work at walmart or what? I thought we were all VP's, SPM's or Senior something, except speed who is just a senior.

I'm really torn about the whole WFH deal. On the one hand there is a lot more time that I get to see my lady through the day. We have water-cooler chats and sometimes given the nature of her job, I can help proof/bounce ideas. We both struggle with the isolation aspect, even moreso living downtown where it is now eerily quiet all the time. We will videochat our friends. She has taken over half of our dining area, I have the office. There's some separation, but we can both sort of hear each other on calls. Her and her team have a lot more conference calls then I do, so sometimes it can be a touch distracting. I'm normally trying to block out noise, I like quiet when I work.

I enjoy being able to make or comfortably eat whatever I want without having to worry in the slightest about what it smells like or how long the preparation... garlic for days.

With all of that said, this situation has really exposed some lazy individuals in my firm. Their productivity was already small c concerning, but if you aren't particularly motivated then WFH can be a death sentence for your career. It's difficult to skid specialized individuals in a time like now because of how hard it would be to train someone to come up to speed. We'll find a way I'm sure.

All of us from VP to project coordinators are grinding from early morning till lateish evening. We are really busy. Lots of engineering/estimating/quoting. A lot of helping consultants/engineers. I work from about 5:30am until 7pm everyday during this WFH stint, some hours on weekends to catch up. Usually I work 7am to 4:30-5:00 pm in the office, then a few hrs at home depending on level of emergency, normally.

I really enjoy what I do so for me it's kind of nice having the extra time and space to work aggravation free from any outside sales donkeys or office shenanigans. I will admit I miss my team and it has really solidified my opinions about how much I love (almost all of) them.
    Sawing one off over lunch never hurts either, does it?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    Sawing one off over lunch never hurts either, does it?
    Productivity is way up!

fact.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I'm working a lot with some people who are in china right now. That time zone difference is fucked. Been firing off emails in the 6-8am hours, then conference calls and "regular work" and chasing my kids around 8-4. Family time 4-8 and then often a conference call around 8 or 9pm.

Probably adds up to about the same actual work output as when I was in the office, but it's spread out more. I don't mind it much. I would prefer fewer conference calls in the evening, because it's cutting into my cheap beer consumption. Although maybe that's part of the employee health plans? Lol.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Banker’s hours... look it up!

But no, co-workers are fucking killing themselves right now (march was 3rd best numbers of all time) but I’ve already experienced burn out, I’m good... being more efficient than my peers counterbalances it

Page 30 of 72 FirstFirst ... 20 29 30 31 40 ... LastLast