Coronavirus Workplace thread - Page 28 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 28 of 72 FirstFirst ... 18 27 28 29 38 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus Workplace thread

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Quote Originally Posted by Strider View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Work and personal phones both down.
    That's why I make sure the two are on separate providers & networks. Work on rogers personal on bell.
    (well Zoomer and Lucky)

Gladly refer anyone if they want =)
    Someone's gotta compete with ExTraSLow and his Public

Quote Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
    WFH will now be embraced as a viable option to save costs on office space and the office space might become a dying concept. Who knows?
    this is a big concern IMO. Calgary is already struggling to fill office space so if companies realize they don't need as much it will only exasperate the problem. I can totally see our property taxes going up big time the next few years.

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    this is a big concern IMO. Calgary is already struggling to fill office space so if companies realize they don't need as much it will only exasperate the problem. I can totally see our property taxes going up big time the next few years.
    I'm not so sure. I already have noticed a fall in productivity from people working from home. Yes there are other things going on with that like schools being closed, but that will be a concern.

Quote Originally Posted by lasimmon View Post
    I'm not so sure. I already have noticed a fall in productivity from people working from home. Yes there are other things going on with that like schools being closed, but that will be a concern.
    And on that note, has anyone that's wfh noticed some animosity from those who still have to go in? My company had to split its workforce and send some people home while others still need to be there. It's a little tough to tell if it's just people being on edge in general, but I feel like on days where I am in the office people are fine, but then when you try to talk to them remotely it's a different story.
    dv/dt

It'll be interesting to see if production picks up as the kinks get worked out with connectivity and bosses start cracking the whip. There are definitely some people slacking, but I wonder if that is more because this is a really weird time rather than a failure of the WFH concept.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Antonito View Post
    It'll be interesting to see if production picks up as the kinks get worked out with connectivity and bosses start cracking the whip. There are definitely some people slacking, but I wonder if that is more because this is a really weird time rather than a failure of the WFH concept.
    Most companies not good at measuring productivity. Project manager may be able track some of it but usually doesn't involve operation folks.

There is definitely a chance that once they find out business as usual with WFH, some changes may happen to office space.

At a minimum, some people can probably WFH and turn a few floors to hoteling pods when they have to show up to reduce office square footage needs.

I definitely been to a few meetings that got side tracked to dog/cat/kids show.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

I think the part of productivity falling when WFH is that there is more distractions and its easy to just slide into a routine. Being that I have been WFH for 3 weeks.. the whole Groundhog Day effect situation is happening right now and with the weather the way it is.. it really throws morale down. And then that morale is dragged into the fact your pretty much at home 99.9% of the time and then this affects your work.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

I'd like to see a comparison of the two. WFH with distractions but no useless meetings that go on forever for no reason, VS the opposite.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Productivity is secondary to mental health these days. If your boss if primarily focused on productivity, then he might be an asshole.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post
    Productivity is secondary to mental health these days. If your boss if primarily focused on productivity, then he might be an asshole.
    I was reading an article that some managers are using a online meeting platfrom where webcam is on worker's face 24/7 and can't be disabled.

Given the economy if f'd, I would not be surprises a lot of worker will put up with these shit.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    I was reading an article that some managers are using a online meeting platfrom where webcam is on worker's face 24/7 and can't be disabled.
    Isn’t that the @rage2 method?
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Awwwkkwarrdddd.

- - - Updated - - -

Given the economy if f'd, I would not be surprises a lot of worker will put up with these shit.
    One of the recent surveys noted that 60% of Canadians are a few hundred bucks from insolvency, so they don't have much of a choice. How employers treat employees at this time will define their legacy.

I would try to loop the feed like Keanu did in Speed.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Nope.

We have cadence tracking for our marketing and sales funnels, as well as response times and SLAs that must be met. I don't care if people aren't on their laptops, as long as they make their numbers.

On the dev side like everyone else we use the greatest micromanagement tool called Jira lol.

The video chat isn't used for productivity tracking at all. It's purely for mental health to feel less isolated. Only people that use video and snooping to track productivity are people that don't know how to properly measure productivity.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Edge

Quote Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
    WFH will now be embraced as a viable option to save costs on office space and the office space might become a dying concept. Who knows?
    Personally, I prefer having separate work and home spaces. I find being in an office much less distracting because I am only there to work; mentally, it's just easier to keep the spaces completely separate. Not to mention that working from home would be far worse than having a company phone for the boss wanting work done at anytime outside of work hours. Workaholic bosses would be a nightmare.

The only benefits I can see would be no commute, which would also be cheaper.

When you have your own business, you can write off certain amounts of space, utilities, etc. Is there any similar benefit for working for a company as an employee and working from home?

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Many regular office-desk chained employees have problems with suddenly working from home 100%. It takes a particular mindset and a particular environment and setup to be able to do this.

My wife was about to setup a part time WFH with her employer before this debacle - would have made the 100% WFH transition easier had it gone that way.

Sitting in front of the TV on the couch, on your laptop is not ideal. Having kids at home makes it 10x worse.
    Last edited by revelations; 03-31-2020 at 02:55 PM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by duaner View Post
    When you have your own business, you can write off certain amounts of space, utilities, etc. Is there any similar benefit for working for a company as an employee and working from home?
    It's been discussed in the work thread. Employer need to fill out a form that tells CRA that your job requires you to be home 50% of the time or more.

Unless they thing lasts til end of the year, it's probably hard to get that from filled.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Nope.

We have cadence tracking for our marketing and sales funnels, as well as response times and SLAs that must be met. I don't care if people aren't on their laptops, as long as they make their numbers.

On the dev side like everyone else we use the greatest micromanagement tool called Jira lol.

The video chat isn't used for productivity tracking at all. It's purely for mental health to feel less isolated. Only people that use video and snooping to track productivity are people that don't know how to properly measure productivity.
    I’m clearly remembering that other thread wrong. I thought you said you had a webcam and teams trained on your guys all day long?
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride

I’m clearly remembering that other thread wrong. I thought you said you had a webcam and teams trained on your guys all day long?
    and DNA testing...or do we not talk about that?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Productivity measurement has always been more difficult than attendance tracking. But it's also always been more effective. Even without WFH any manager that care how many hours your ass is in a chair is a weak manager.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Edge

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    Many regular office-desk chained employees have problems with working from home. It takes a particular mindset and a particular environment and setup to be able to do this.

Sitting in front of the TV on the couch, on your laptop is not ideal. Having kids at home makes it 10x worse.
    For sure. I have done it briefly as a sole proprietor and found it quite distracting even having an office setup.

It's been discussed in the work thread. Employer need to fill out a form that tells CRA that your job requires you to be home 50% of the time or more.

Unless they thing lasts til end of the year, it's probably hard to get that from filled.
    Interesting. Thanks, not that it applies to my situation at all.

Page 28 of 72 FirstFirst ... 18 27 28 29 38 ... LastLast