Coronavirus Workplace thread - Page 71 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 71 of 72 FirstFirst ... 61 70 71 72 LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,420 of 1424

Thread: Coronavirus Workplace thread

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It’s a hard life for a giggalo.

Much easier to work for a pimp.
    That's why you gotta side hustle with fish tank cleaning.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by zechs View Post
    Your employment is contingent on you working continual extra unpaid time?

Huh.

Note to self - find employees who will work for free

Also note - That isn't what Tik-Tok said at all, he said his wife chooses to do so when her normal day is 8 hours. Hence my weirdo comment, I know a few people like this.
    Contingent relative to the next guy yes.

This whole “unpaid time” concept is hilarious.

People who work jobs versus people who have careers is always a hilarious dichotomy
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

People who work jobs versus people who have careers is always a hilarious dichotomy
    Yup. It's not unpaid time, it's investing time in my career to advance forward. I am where I'm at right now because I was the best at what I do. I got pushed forward on larger projects and recognized by clients.

Career advancement is very much who you know rather than what you know, having those connections opens up more doors down the road. New job -> More money -> Worth the sacrifice early on.

Now once I get older I'll probably coast more and enjoy the spoils of my career but for right now I'm still young and eager. Plus I love my career.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Ugh, as of December 13th all seating in foodcourts will be taken away AND +15 will be closed untill January 12th!

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by R-Audi View Post
    Ugh, as of December 13th all seating in foodcourts will be taken away AND +15 will be closed untill January 12th!
    I bet this affects more homeless people than DT office employees.

Isn't DT effectively closed unless you physically have to be in the office to do your job as of Monday? That's the impression I got but maybe I misunderstood something.

I remember the +15 closures being particularly annoying before.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

That would certainly depend on your job... My company is more in the Office leasing and service related side, so we have to be there for tenants. At this point its mostly law firms/lawyers that will still be around and essential IT staff. Im guessing it will be like June when we first came back, except the +15 was open and you could still sit in the Suncor foodcourt.
    I park in one building and work in another, so I will have to start bringing a jacket if it gets cold.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Just got word that keeping with the COVID-19 restrictions imposed by the GoVA, the City of Calgary has mandated that the Plus 15 network be closed to all public places as of Sunday December 13th, 2020 and will remain in place through Tuesday Jan 12th, 2021

https://www.calgary.ca/transportatio...direct=/plus15

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    Just got word that keeping with the COVID-19 restrictions imposed by the GoVA, the City of Calgary has mandated that the Plus 15 network be closed to all public places as of Sunday December 13th, 2020 and will remain in place through Tuesday Jan 12th, 2021

https://www.calgary.ca/transportatio...direct=/plus15
    Kids is going to be off school in a week and most are WFH anyway, impact should be minimal.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Isn't DT effectively closed unless you physically have to be in the office to do your job as of Monday? That's the impression I got but maybe I misunderstood something.

I remember the +15 closures being particularly annoying before.
    Employers get to decide if their staff being in the office is require to not reduce operational effectiveness..... so yea. Loop-hole city right there.

Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    Employers get to decide if their staff being in the office is require to not reduce operational effectiveness..... so yea. Loop-hole city right there.
    Ah, I see. I didn't realize that was the exact wording. Loop hole is right haha.

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    well i think that's fair, one of my guys doesn't even have a computer so he cant work remote haha, and all our computers are being used..

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Ah, I see. I didn't realize that was the exact wording. Loop hole is right haha.
    Every single one in my team have kids in school except myself and another guy. So if we need to go in, it's me until COVID gets me then it's the other guy.

Trying to keep other members away from office both for theirs and our sake.

We basically allow people to be in office if they want to (with daily contact tracing paper work) until this week. Now it's everyone home unless absolutely necessary or with director approval.

I park in one building and work in another, so I will have to start bringing a jacket if it gets cold.
    Same here and found some were not locked others were. Try finding your way out to the street from that network. It can be a challenge with locked doors.
    Not too bad in summer. In the fall, I used the +15 mostly to avoid the homeless telling me it was a hoax or the machine wanted this to happen!

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    To be fair, the alternative is to spend time with tik-tok
    Or leave Alberta. Trust me, it's easier than you think.
    Was the #1 Forum Warrior

My Ride
    Bicycle

Usually your response is by someone who thinks they can't be replaced. You giving such little value to your time that you'll work for no compensation is fine, but it won't protect you from being laid off the moment they need to cut people.

I've seen many do what you say, and it hasn't stopped them from being unemployed for two years. You can act like its somehow brilliance on your part to do so, and maybe it is rewarded in other ways in your specific case that is not cold hard cash in the form of a paycheque, but again, in the case of tiktok, nothing changed for his wife and yet she still puts in more time simply by virtue of being work from home.

Notice that nobody is going to come out directly and say "I did all that, still got fucked, and am going bankrupt". Classic survivor bias for you and Pheoxs.

Which is fine. I'm glad you two are doing well, its different strokes. But in the long run, that time is rarely paid back is my anecdotal evidence. You even see it in the threads of people on this very forum having their eyes opened by being WFH how much they missed with families and friends.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

If you think you can do better somewhere else, you know where the door is.

It’s very simple
    Last edited by killramos; 12-18-2020 at 12:53 PM.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by zechs View Post
    Usually your response is by someone who thinks they can't be replaced. You giving such little value to your time that you'll work for no compensation is fine, but it won't protect you from being laid off the moment they need to cut people.

I've seen many do what you say, and it hasn't stopped them from being unemployed for two years. You can act like its somehow brilliance on your part to do so, and maybe it is rewarded in other ways in your specific case that is not cold hard cash in the form of a paycheque, but again, in the case of tiktok, nothing changed for his wife and yet she still puts in more time simply by virtue of being work from home.

Notice that nobody is going to come out directly and say "I did all that, still got fucked, and am going bankrupt". Classic survivor bias for you and Pheoxs.

Which is fine. I'm glad you two are doing well, its different strokes. But in the long run, that time is rarely paid back is my anecdotal evidence. You even see it in the threads of people on this very forum having their eyes opened by being WFH how much they missed with families and friends.
    It's not just job security; disregard that if you want. It's about increasing opportunity for, and probability of, advancement.

How many Director/VP/C-suite employees do you think are out there that work only 8-4? Hint: none. They work long hours (and have done so for their entire career).

Now go google compensation for leadership positions in large companies (pick a company, I don't care which one), and tell me that time isn't "paid back" get a grip.

edit: perspective is a funny thing. Your point of reference is around a person saving their job when cuts need to be made. For many people that are working all that unpaid time, being in the bottom isn't even a consideration. It's about being in the 95th percentile. If they are working that extra time for fear of getting cut, chances are they'd get cut at some point regardless, so I suppose your point holds true for underperformers.
    Last edited by bjstare; 12-18-2020 at 01:43 PM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

The few top level executives I know all worked insane hours for decades. The $/hr works out okay for them.

Its the mid-level folks who work long overtime that are deluding themselves.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Page 71 of 72 FirstFirst ... 61 70 71 72 LastLast