Quantcast
Coronavirus Workplace thread - Page 14 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 14 of 72 FirstFirst ... 4 13 14 15 24 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus Workplace thread

My Ride
    Has wheels

Quote Originally Posted by 16hypen3sp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Increasingly concerned that I'm going to get stuck at a work camp for an extended period of time.
    Traveling back tomorrow. All gyms, multipurpose rooms etc are closed.

Might get stuck up there and get some OT out of it though, recoup some lost funds from my LA trip that I cancelled haha. Should be an interesting shift.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Our office has a few being tested, tbd.. ive been working from home since friday.

Hilarious/ridiculous that the GOA is telling their staff (teachers, etc) that they're expected to be at the office and are not allowed to work from home..

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    Our office has a few being tested, tbd.. ive been working from home since friday.

Hilarious/ridiculous that the GOA is telling their staff (teachers, etc) that they're expected to be at the office and are not allowed to work from home..
    I think the confusion on teachers is that the original announcement made it seem like school was done completely until the end of june. They said at one point all kids would pass the grade and then they back peddled and now want to finish as much schooling online.

The announcement itself was bungled big time. IMO it makes sense to have the teachers at the school if they need to be creating online content to finish the year. Once its created and approved then send em home.

My Ride
    V8s

Just government doing government things. My bet is that it's something to do with unions and what they can/cannot do (like I've said before, yay for unions :eyeroll: )

Quote Originally Posted by gwill View Post

The announcement itself was bungled big time. IMO it makes sense to have the teachers at the school if they need to be creating online content to finish the year. Once its created and approved then send em home.
    Do you even understand what you wrote? You know teachers can create online content from anywhere... in the world... right?

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    Just government doing government things. My bet is that it's something to do with unions and what they can/cannot do (like I've said before, yay for unions :eyeroll: )

Do you even understand what you wrote? You know teachers can create online content from anywhere... in the world... right?
    Its not just teachers, it sounding like most of their employees got the same directive. Which is unbelievably stupid

My Ride
    B16 Spec V, 97 SC400, 15 Caravan

I think the confusion on teachers is that the original announcement made it seem like school was done completely until the end of june. They said at one point all kids would pass the grade and then they back peddled and now want to finish as much schooling online.

It strikes me purely as an optics approach with teachers at this point in time. It's the same with all government employees. Want to appear as though it's all hands on deck. Even if they are not doing anything super productive.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Not just to finish the year but potentially next year. People need to understand that even if social distancing works and we slow the spread of the disease ... as soon as everyone goes back to the way things were it will just spread again. This might be life for the next year until vaccines are rolled out en masse.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Not just to finish the year but potentially next year. People need to understand that even if social distancing works and we slow the spread of the disease ... as soon as everyone goes back to the way things were it will just spread again. This might be life for the next year until vaccines are rolled out en masse.
    The point is to not overwhelm the system so when it spreads again when everything reopens it’s slowed down and won’t cripple the system.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    The point is to not overwhelm the system so when it spreads again when everything reopens it’s slowed down and won’t cripple the system.
    For sure, but even if the cases start to decline and everyone goes back to normal life it'll spread quickly again unless people shift their lifestyles I guess. Or we get enough rapid testing to contain things.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

My outfit is 100% WfH now so I spent the morning integrating the work laptop into the ol' battlestation. Got it set up so both work laptop and home desktop have access to my monitor array, but it's got a lot more wires than rage2's setup, haha. Now I have to do the same for the wife's desk as she's WfH as well now.

My Ride
    Cayman

Quote Originally Posted by R-Audi View Post
    Not sure why you guys think you can just get out of a contract.... The only thing stopping you from parking there is you. Same 30 day cancellation period as everyone else. Be a different story if the building was closed... (Which is why they arent closing.. as they would lose out on rent and parking renvenues)
    technically my office being shut down is also stopping me (not that I am complaining about work from home). For the record all I asked Impark for was if they could pause my parking not cancel it but they basically said it is not our problem that your office has shut down.

side note on why i say that Impark is a POS company. The building I work at hired Impark to manage the underground parking 3 years ago and right away our parking jumped from $400/month to $550 and in January it went up to $600/month for no reason other than they wanted to make more money now that they have less monthly parkers. Now that Impark manages it they have daily parkers which resulted in thefts in the parking, daily parkers ignoring reserved parking signs and taking those spots which I pay a premium for and my boss and I were victims of hit and runs. Impark's response to all of these issues is sorry not much we can do and they even refuse to ticket daily parkers unless they have parked in my spot for 3 days. God forbid that I park in another persons reserved spot if I cant park in mine because they are calling me to move and threatening to ticket me as I know that is not my spot lol
    Last edited by Proyecto2000; 03-17-2020 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post

Do we really want every teacher creating their own course load with random teachings and lessons? Id expect some over sight for my kids teachers on approval of lessons. Id expect some consistency on teachings amongst all schools.

In the essence of speed it's going to be best done with teachers working together to get things moving fast. You may as well cancel the year if your teacher creates a random lesson that's different from the 1000s of other teachers out there.

So yes teachers should be at the school until a clear direction is created that allows students to finish their schooling from home.

My Ride
    B16 Spec V, 97 SC400, 15 Caravan

Do we really want every teacher creating their own course load with random teachings and lessons? Id expect some over sight for my kids teachers on approval of lessons. Id expect some consistency on teachings amongst all schools.

In the essence of speed it's going to be best done with teachers working together to get things moving fast. You may as well cancel the year if your teacher creates a random lesson that's different from the 1000s of other teachers out there.

So yes teachers should be at the school until a clear direction is created that allows students to finish their schooling from home.
    You're essentially speaking to what curriculum is. Teachers have been asked to prep lessons but not post them yet. I am expecting they will be reviewed before being issued. You always get inconsistencies between schools, some teachers go above the curriculum, and some barely make it. It also depends on the ability for the class to keep up with curriculum or not.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Are you working from home today? Why should they be at school and not truly socially distancing for this "clear direction", while the rest of the work force is working from home? Teams/Skype/etc will be running the world for the next 3 months. So they bring it to their kids and just keep this thing bouncing more and more? No thanks.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Proyecto2000 View Post
    technically my office being shut down is also stopping me (not that I am complaining about work from home). For the record all I asked Impark for was if they could pause my parking not cancel it but they basically said it is not our problem that your office has shut down.

side note on why i say that Impark is a POS company. The building I work at hired Impark to manage the underground parking 3 years ago and right away our parking jumped from $400/month to $550 and in January it went up to $600/month for no reason other than they wanted to make more money now that they have less monthly parkers. Now that Impark manages it they have daily parkers which resulted in thefts in the parking, daily parkers ignoring reserved parking signs and taking those spots which I pay a premium for and my boss and I were victims of hit and runs. Impark's response to all of these issues is sorry not much we can do and they even refuse to ticket daily parkers unless they have parked in my spot for 3 days. God forbid that I park in another persons reserved spot if I cant park in mine because they are calling me to move and threatening to ticket me as I know that is not my spot lol

What building are you in? $600 for reserved parking is pretty standard.. sucks that Impark isnt very responsive.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by BerserkerCatSplat View Post
    My outfit is 100% WfH now so I spent the morning integrating the work laptop into the ol' battlestation. Got it set up so both work laptop and home desktop have access to my monitor array, but it's got a lot more wires than rage2's setup, haha. Now I have to do the same for the wife's desk as she's WfH as well now.
    Haha yeah, my set up is a big ass spaghetti mess back there. I could clean it up a lot better if I could daisy chain the displayports, but my monitors are older and only have a single displayport output each and I don't use them enough to justify buying newer ones.

I had my desk setup a few weeks back when I had to do some late night upgrades and brought my laptop home. We already have the option to WFH, but I'll keep coming into the office until they barricade the doors on us.

Quote Originally Posted by Cagare View Post
    You're essentially speaking to what curriculum is. Teachers have been asked to prep lessons but not post them yet. I am expecting they will be reviewed before being issued. You always get inconsistencies between schools, some teachers go above the curriculum, and some barely make it. It also depends on the ability for the class to keep up with curriculum or not.
    the inconsistencies are what you want to avoid. Once it's all sorted out there would be no need to have them show up. Not sure why people see this as an issue.

Are you working from home today? Why should they be at school and not truly socially distancing for this "clear direction", while the rest of the work force is working from home? Teams/Skype/etc will be running the world for the next 3 months. So they bring it to their kids and just keep this thing bouncing more and more? No thanks.
    I'm at work. So is my wife. Theres lots of people at work. Its amusing you think everyones working from home therefore teachers should be as well.

I think our kids education is important and we should make sure the at home lessons arent going to set our kids back half a year or more in their education. If it's not done proper then they should just call it quits for the year and leave all kids in the same boat.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Welp our VPN died.. entire corporation is unable to WFH at the moment. People are raging.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

I'm at work. So is my wife. Theres lots of people at work. Its amusing you think everyones working from home therefore teachers should be as well.
    You should be commended for so actively helping human kind by going to work..

You should be commended for so actively helping human kind by going to work..
    Just happy your not making decisions on our kids education. Parents who care want things done properly.

Page 14 of 72 FirstFirst ... 4 13 14 15 24 ... LastLast