Quantcast
Gym equipment - Page 16 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Gym equipment

The light commercial rack is definitely an upgrade in most areas like:
    -nylon sandwich j-cups are better than the standard j-cups
    -you get a set of the roller cups
    -the angled rear support will allow you to fit a bench deeper into the rack for incline bench or fully upright for shoulder training
    -the spotter straps i'm not sure of - since I have never used them before. I have only worked out on rack with a straight arm supports.
    -the multi grip pullup bar is much nicer than the straight bar on the residential rack
    -also the holes are numbered on the commercial rack but are not on the residential. Minor annoyance when I move the j-cups and need to count the holes.

To me, it wasn't worth the extra $300 at the time to go up to the commercial one but there are a lot of benefits.

I had a small dent in one of the uprights when it was delivered, not really much of a concern by me but I snapped and pic and sent it to them to see what they thought and they sent me a new one right away.

My rack is on concrete floor with just those puzzle pieces over top of it. What I do like about the residential rack is at the rear there are 2 pegs to stack your weight on vertically, so that adds a lot more stability.

EDIT: FYI, I got an email late last night saying Bells of Steel is having a sale starting today, up to 20% off plus doorcrashers. It doesn't seem to be live yet. I'll try to post when it does start

My Ride
    06 S2000

Quote Originally Posted by nagooro View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm thinking about spending a few hundred more and just getting the light commercial rack.

What I would order:
    - Light commercial rack
    - lat pull down attachment
    - barenaked bar
    - 4x rubber gym mats
    - bunch of plates

All in I think it'll come out to $1800-2k or so.

Have you had any issues with the residential rack? or wish you got the light commercial?
    Is your rack on a hard floor? I have those same rubber puzzle piece mats, but my rack will be going on carpet so might do some plywood + heavier duty rubber mats on top.
    This is very similar to what @Cagare did early last year. The only difference is he built an 8x8 lifting platform to bolt the rack to.

Don't forget a bench as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    B16 Spec V, 97 SC400, 15 Caravan

Quote Originally Posted by LilDrunkenSmurf View Post
    This is very similar to what @Cagare did early last year. The only difference is he built an 8x8 lifting platform to bolt the rack to.

Don't forget a bench as well.
    Yeah, I would probably go light commercial rack again in any case. For floor mats I would just get some 4x6 horse stall mats. The 8x8 platform I build is over 2" thick, approximately 3 sheets of 3/4" plywood thick. Basically just a double deadlift platform.

Having a platform to bolt to is very nice. Otherwise get the plate storage pegs and put your weights on the rack to prevent any movement.

@nagooro
    https://www.bellsofsteel.com/flash-sale/

Spend $2,000 or more and get a
    $200 store credit

Spend $3,000 or more and get a
    $450 store credit

July 14 deal
    Buy a Blitz Bike (10% off)
    and get a FREE Plyo Box

No coupon needed.
    Free Plyo Box for the first 50 customers only

July 15 Deal
    Buy a Flat Bench (20% off)
    and get a FREE Y-Dip Attachment or
    14kg KB or Fractional Plate set

No coupon needed. Free Y-Dip, 14kg KB, or Fractional Plate set for the first 50 customers only.

@bulaian @Cagare Thanks for all the input. Below is what I am planning on ordering, unless you guys recommend to change anything up...pretty basic order. Unfortunately, they are sold out of the lat pull down so I'll have to wait on that. I also already have a bench (fitness reality 1000), which should suffice for now.

Regarding the mats, are horse stall mats vs the ones I have in my cart quite different?
    The rack will be going in my developed basement (carpet), so would probably do something similar to what @scboss did (plywood + mats).

Name:  Vu1Gq4e.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  50.7 KB
    Last edited by nagooro; 07-14-2021 at 05:43 PM.

Horse mats will be bigger 4'x6' vs the mats you got being 39"x39"

Horse stall mats will be made from 1 type of rubber whereas the bells of steel ones use a couple different ones

My Ride

We are moving in the next 2 months, so I will probably be selling my light commercial squat rack, has the pull up attachment, additional safety arms and 2 sets of plate pegs.

Should be listed here early next week if anyone is interested. Not selling any weight/bars though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cagare View Post
    We are moving in the next 2 months, so I will probably be selling my light commercial squat rack, has the pull up attachment, additional safety arms and 2 sets of plate pegs.

Should be listed here early next week if anyone is interested. Not selling any weight/bars though.
    Ive already placed my order, but outta curiosity do you know how much you're going to list it for? Feel free to PM me if need be.

Since my rack will be going on carpet, I'd like to put some plywood below the rubber mats to make it a bit more sturdy. Newbie question, is there a certain type of plywood I should be looking for (ie. composition, thickness, etc)

Ive already placed my order, but outta curiosity do you know how much you're going to list it for? Feel free to PM me if need be.

Since my rack will be going on carpet, I'd like to put some plywood below the rubber mats to make it a bit more sturdy. Newbie question, is there a certain type of plywood I should be looking for (ie. composition, thickness, etc)
    I wanted mine to be really sturdy so I used two layers of 5/8” osb.

My Ride

I think retail on everything is $1300, I was going to ask $900 I think, but hadn't really decided.

For your platform, if you can fit an 8x8 platform then do that. You want 3/4" sheets of plywood, OSB or regular sheating is fine. It doesn't need to be anything in particular. Just keep in mind on straight concrete OSB will absorb a lot of moisture and start breaking up sooner. I have an 8x8 with another 4x8 attached sheet, I have to cut it up to get it out of my basement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cef_m3nOQOo

Thanks. I should have plenty of room so an 8x8 shouldn't be a problem. I was initially going to get two 4x8 sheets of plywood and just lay the 4 rubber mats on top (similar to what scboss has above), but might attempt an actual platform like the one below. Im guessing thats what you're referring to?

Name:  finished-1.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  62.0 KB
    Last edited by nagooro; 07-19-2021 at 06:50 PM.

Thanks. I should have plenty of room so an 8x8 shouldn't be a problem. I was initially going to get two 4x8 sheets of plywood and just lay the 4 rubber mats on top (similar to what scboss has above), but might attempt an actual platform like the one below. Im guessing thats what you're referring to?

Theres a few DIY out there to build these.
    Super easy to do.
    I built one for my old home setup

Seemed a bit high.

Name:  8E7D5A0C-76F0-4B01-8FF8-F32EAA0D4F93.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  181.8 KB

@nagooro here is what I did with my 8x8 platform

Two layers of 5/8” osb, then two sheets of 3/8” clean 4x6 rubber in the front, then just 3/8” 2x8 finished plywood in the back. The 2x8 in the back was actually added on later because I realized I needed more room in front of the rack for deadlifts.

Quite sturdy considering it’s sitting on fairly thick carpet. No issues with the thinner 3/8” rubber in my case. I’m pretty casual tho so if you are lifting heavy / dropping weights on it you may want to go thicker

Name:  FD53EC8A-B160-4D7A-8EC1-7D6E770B7E27.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  215.2 KB

800lb capacity adjustable bench for sale if anyone is looking for one https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01CR4XFIK

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by bulaian View Post
    800lb capacity adjustable bench for sale if anyone is looking for one https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01CR4XFIK
    I just got a flat bench a few months back because nothing at that weight point was available at the time.

Maybe I can sell my flat bench.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Love the old timey, bare knuckle, fite me bro, bro.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

Put together the BoS rack today. Overall pretty pleased with the quality.

Ended up doing one layer of 3/4" plywood and four 1mx1m mats on top. Seems to be sufficient space, but we'll see once I start using it. Will be doing most, if not all the exercises inside the rack. So far the only downside, with overhead press I'm hitting the top of the rack by like 1-2"

The barbell came pretty oiled up, is there a proper way to clean it up a bit?

Name:  yQ2GVMJ.jpeg
Views: 215
Size:  84.1 KB

My Ride
    06 S2000

Is it's the BoS bare naked steel bar? You'll want to keep it well maintained, it'll rust quite easily once the oil gets wiped off.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 15 16 17 ... LastLast