Quantcast
First year as landlord - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: First year as landlord

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Quote Originally Posted by gwill View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    get professional photos done. It makes all the difference.
    Time and time again a lot of Clients tell me how the photos I took sold the place. Get someone to take good pictures or find a friend that can because it really is an investment in your place.

Most homes are utilities extra. Most condos are utilities all in (or heat/water/sewage incl.). Very generally from what I've seen.

EDIT: I've seen your ad and have a couple suggestions. Lead with your best asset first to draw in viewers. There is one of the kitchen and barstools that is probably your best shot. The floorplan doesn't illustrate how it actually looks so put that last. Second, clear all the clutter off counters/tables etc. It's nitpicky but things like towels, lens hood, soap dispensers etc decrease overall cleaniless and appeal to the photo. Be consistent with all the lights on.

Otherwise I think you're in a good position. Advertise on Facebook and Kijiji if you haven't already.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    EDIT: I've seen your ad and have a couple suggestions. Lead with your best asset first to draw in viewers. There is one of the kitchen and barstools that is probably your best shot. The floorplan doesn't illustrate how it actually looks so put that last. Second, clear all the clutter off counters/tables etc. It's nitpicky but things like towels, lens hood, soap dispensers etc decrease overall cleaniless and appeal to the photo. Be consistent with all the lights on. .
    Thanks. Moved that photo up.

I'm sitting at 200+ views in 12 hours. I wonder how many of these are landlords looking at comps, just bored window shoppers, and actual looking tenants.
    1 booked showing so far.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    Time and time again a lot of Clients tell me how the photos I took sold the place. Get someone to take good pictures or find a friend that can because it really is an investment in your place.

Most homes are utilities extra. Most condos are utilities all in (or heat/water/sewage incl.). Very generally from what I've seen.

EDIT: I've seen your ad and have a couple suggestions. Lead with your best asset first to draw in viewers. There is one of the kitchen and barstools that is probably your best shot. The floorplan doesn't illustrate how it actually looks so put that last. Second, clear all the clutter off counters/tables etc. It's nitpicky but things like towels, lens hood, soap dispensers etc decrease overall cleaniless and appeal to the photo. Be consistent with all the lights on.

Otherwise I think you're in a good position. Advertise on Facebook and Kijiji if you haven't already.
    All very very good information. As someone who was looking to buy and even when renting the key for me was clear pictures that looked good. Proper angles and lighting and keeping "extras" out.

People want to feel comfortable knowing what they see and what they look at will be the same.

The house we bought has a 25x28 garage and not one picture in the ad showed this and I considered that to be a major selling point for that home.

Quote Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
    Bump. Posting a new rentfaster ad in this awful environment

-What are ways you make your rental listing stand out?
    -Is it better to include utilities or ask for tenant to pay for them? Currently I am listed all-in but because of that I am also asking a bit more than comps.
    Unless its a basement suite or a condo where its included i wouldnt include utilities. You dont want to be listed higher than comps in this market, most people will just skip your ad looking at the cheaper ones because they would just assume utes are extra like every other rental. You could also be in for a shock come with the bills in winter.
    Good pictures for sure and post on kijiji too, ive never had to use anything else and had really good success thankfully.

I would guess the rental market to be pretty rough now in terms of multiple applicants but make sure you hold off until you find the right tenant. I would be calling the applicants work to try and get a sense of how secure their job will be for this year and i would also be wanting the first and last months rent in the form of a draft/cash, no personal checks. The laws have never been on the landlords side and now its even worse, last thing you want is having someone give you two NSF's(1st/last) and live there free while you wait til this passes before you can even try and start an eviction process. With how things are going now they could be in there for an easy 6 months before you could get them fully evicted.
    My apologies to any renters, its a 2 way street in the rental game and there are just as many bad LL as there are tenants so im definitely not trying to say all renters are bad, im just saying now as a LL you have to be more careful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Rental market is tough especially if you have a newer property you are renting. Im underwater on my one property and will be on the other one im renting (just a few hundred on each) but looking at longer term. Good area, lots of amenities, paying mortgage down slowly.

Calgary definitely needs a comeback but forsure I think at the moment renters are definitely saving if you look at it as a $ spent on rent vs $ spent if they owned the same property. Its a renters market!

My Ride
    Silverado

good reminder, my tenants lease is up Jul 31st. Not sure what their plan is, sounds like I should be ready with a discount.

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

My tenant of 3 years decided to move out of our main level suite. I rolled the dice and raised the rent by $100 to test the water. One week later and I have new tenants signed, moving in for June 1. I was planning to do the same with the basement suite but they re-signed for another year and I left the rent as is. I’m happy.

I’ll try to rent out a few of the spots in the garage then i’ll be laughing.
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    X7 40i, Cayenne S, 335i Cab

Thanks. Moved that photo up.

I'm sitting at 200+ views in 12 hours. I wonder how many of these are landlords looking at comps, just bored window shoppers, and actual looking tenants.
    1 booked showing so far.
    How's the action so far since listed?

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Quote Originally Posted by RX_EVOLV View Post
    How's the action so far since listed?
    Since wed night, so less than 4 days.

19 emails
    3 calls
    9 showings booked
    only 5 showings realized; people backed out for "something came up"

A lot of fishing for Jul 1 or Aug 1 move in...

My Ride
    X7 40i, Cayenne S, 335i Cab

That's not bad. We just listed our basement suite - hopefully we get some action.

My Ride
    Ford F150

Good photos, floor plan, room measurements if not indicated on floor plan. Start with a good description about the place, what's inside, what's included, etc. Then talk about community if desired. Clearly describe any restrictions (like pets).

It helps get good tenants IMO because it's thorough, and will also remove people who are calling just for that info you've now listed. When i was looking, these types of listings stood out, and were uncommon.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

My Ride
    Bicycle

Bump. Posting a new rentfaster ad in this awful environment

-What are ways you make your rental listing stand out?
    -Is it better to include utilities or ask for tenant to pay for them? Currently I am listed all-in but because of that I am also asking a bit more than comps.
    Know your market.

Be 10% less than the market gives you more applicants to pick from to find the good one.

$ talks.

If there is any benefits in paying down your rental is the ability to be cheaper than market and still be profitable even if you are cash neutral or negative.

Good to know. I didn't have to repost any of my units yet. But I guess I can put my fly360 to work if I had to.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 05-14-2020 at 09:54 AM.

Good photos is #1 IMHO. There are so many listings out there that this is one of the only ways to really stand out, and so many people are too cheap to do it, especially on rental properties. If a buyer's attention isn't immediately captured while browsing, they have probably already moved on to the next listing.

The 360 with info buttons is a cool addition, but good photos are so cheap, every listing should have them IMO. After that, as long as the price is representative of the property/location, people will come.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3