Quantcast
SS3 LED Foglights - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: SS3 LED Foglights

Default SS3 LED Foglights

Quote Originally Posted by R-Audi View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just ordered a new set of SAE/Dot approved yellow fog lights for the 4Runner. These Diode Dynamic SS3 pods test way higher than other brands that cost 2-3x as much,
    They lied about SAT/DOT approval.

Name:  Screenshot_20200307-151831_Chrome.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  74.8 KB

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Demasiado View Post
    They lied about SAT/DOT approval.

Name:  Screenshot_20200307-151831_Chrome.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  74.8 KB
    No need to take my quote word for word and get your panties in a bunch. Below is a quote from their website:

"Engineered for both on and off road use, the fog and driving beam patterns are SAE compliant as foglamps or auxiliary high beams. "

Furthermore:

SAE Compliant. All Stage Series beam pattern options were designed with optical simulation modeling, to shape the output in a highly-functional beam pattern.

SAE Driving is designed to supplement your high beams, but it’s great for general illumination as well. Rather than a traditional "spot" pattern, the Stage Series Driving pattern shines in an 18x8 degree spread, providing just enough width to fully illuminate the road ahead at high speeds.

SAE Fog provides an extremely wide field of view, with high-intensity output over an entire 80-degree spread. It serves as a great upgrade for any factory foglamp, and will fully illuminate the area in front of your vehicle. Choose your output color of cool white or yellow, which is often said to help cut through inclement weather.

When installed as a pair and aimed in accordance with your state's regulations, the Driving White pattern meets SAE J581 standard as a Driving/Auxiliary High Beam Light, and the Fog pattern meets SAE J583 standard as a Foglamp, for legal on-road use. Please check your local laws and regulations for aiming, installation, and applicability.

Happy now?

My Ride
    2020 Tacoma DCSB

"Engineered for both on and off road use, the fog and driving beam patterns are SAE compliant as foglamps or auxiliary high beams. "
    Hey, here's a shot in the back alley of the SS3's
    (Middle "white" area is the low-beam.) The SS3's are super wide and really light up the side/ ditch while driving.

Untitled by Spencer, on Flickr

Just ordered a new set of SAE/Dot approved yellow fog lights for the 4Runner. These Diode Dynamic SS3 pods test way higher than other brands that cost 2-3x as much, and also fit in the stock location. Got them 20% off, so ~$215Cdn.

Attachment 89458
    Attachment 89459
    They're barely brighter than daytime running lamps.

Name:  pixlr.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  53.2 KB]
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My Ride
    2020 Tacoma DCSB

^ This guy didn't see the picture

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Quote Originally Posted by Kijho View Post
    ^ This guy didn't see the picture
    That alley is weird, tree's and no one has a fence on the once side? haha obivously a new community but what's with the trees?

My Ride
    TRD Pro

They're barely brighter than daytime running lamps.
    Going by the basic definition of Candela... just so Im clear....you're saying 3600 candles is barely brighter than 1 candle? (The parts you circled show the SS3 pods being 3600cd more than upper beam daytime running lights.) Since you carefully cut out the part that 'supports' your view, is that a single to single comparison as well? You also ignore the comparison of 'high beams' (typically designed for wide throw) vs a focused fog light beam.. which even at the exact same cd or lm rating makes a huge difference.

In case you want to do some light reading.. below is a thread of the available fog lights tested by an independant party.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...review.554813/

Not sure what your bone to pick with the DD SS3 pods is... but you arent doing a great job supporting it.

Going by the basic definition of Candela... just so Im clear....you're saying 3600 candles is barely brighter than 1 candle? (The parts you circled show the SS3 pods being 3600cd more than upper beam daytime running lights.) Since you carefully cut out the part that 'supports' your view, is that a single to single comparison as well? You also ignore the comparison of 'high beams' (typically designed for wide throw) vs a focused fog light beam.. which even at the exact same cd or lm rating makes a huge difference.

In case you want to do some light reading.. below is a thread of the available fog lights tested by an independant party.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...review.554813/

Not sure what your bone to pick with the DD SS3 pods is... but you arent doing a great job supporting it.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear in my original post. I found this graphic, it should explain it better:

Last edited by Demasiado; 03-22-2020 at 07:40 PM.

My Ride
    2020 Tacoma DCSB

Sorry, I wasn't very clear in my original post. I found this graphic, it should explain it better:
    I would strongly disagree with your picture claiming the SS3's are the equivalent of DRL lights.

Here's a low quality image from my Mavic Mini comparing side by side both 3rd Gen Tacoma's (same stock height, etc.) with the SS3's. I've circled my friends OEM foglights + DRL's (OEM) vs. my SS3 Foglights + DRL's.

Skip to around the 8:05 point for some better comparisons shot with a Sony A7iii in manual mode with exposure and aperture locked.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Sorry, I wasn't very clear in my original post. I 'found' this graphic, it should explain it better:
    Im not sure what your beef is with the Diode Dynamics pods and sticking with this drl comparison that you 'found'... but going back to the Tacomaworld article posted above you are seeing completely different real world independant testing results to show the amount of light these emit compared to their competitors.. If you are so bent out of shape on these lights, tell us how you feel about the Baja Designs or Rigids that cost significantly more yet give off similar or even LESS cd? Or do you have a hidden agenda and work for one of these competing companies and only out to try and troll to gain business?

Also a little curious as to why you suddenly showed up on a small local Canadian car forum to talk shit about fog lights...

A picture from my back alley.. showing the Sport pods covering up the majority of my 35W 5000k HID headlight pattern. (Stock headlights)

Name:  20200324_201156.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  18.6 KB