Quantcast
The Economy Is Pooped: How Do We Help - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: The Economy Is Pooped: How Do We Help

My Ride
    Silverado

My wife has proposed $30 Thursday's where everyone supports a local industry with a $30 purchase. I think this week we are getting a $50 craft gift card as 100% of gift cards purchased right now go to staff.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

The gift card idea is awesome. Give them the money now in time of need, so you can redeem later when times are better.
    We can definitely do our part by buying a $50 gift card from a local business every week from various places.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The gift card idea is awesome. Give them the money now in time of need, so you can redeem later when times are better.
    We can definitely do our part by buying a $50 gift card from a local business every week from various places.
    Keep in mind some of the smaller businesses don't do gift cards because of the overhead to process them.

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

Quote Originally Posted by D'z Nutz View Post
    Keep in mind some of the smaller businesses don't do gift cards because of the overhead to process them.
    Also keep in mind, as unfortunate as it may be, the reality is many small businesses may not come out the other side and those gift cards could be worthless.

I'm all for supporting local, small businesses (no, Starbucks doesn't count), but you might want to consider actually buying something, rather than just dropping $$ on a gift card.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I've seen some restaurants posting that people are donating money to have them deliver food to healthcare staff. I fucking love this idea and we are going to donate the most we can manage.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Man I'm going to want some restaurant food soon. Heard Boston Pizza had a special in pick-up orders. Id probably prefer one of my local family-run places, but feeling so conflicted about any kind of commerce.

What would Dr Dee tell me to do?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

I'm going to go full retard and say: We should build a mask and glove factory to restart the economy.

Because if through my lifetime it was Cold and Flu, if its now every year Cold Flu and Corona - then its probably more important than having an extra cheese pizza or slice of avocado toast. Especially if it mutates and kills more kids than old people - you know - like what the Flu mutated into that one year.
    Cocoa $12,000 per ton.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

I saw an article on Reddit today that most small businesses close in under 30 days if they have no form of revenue for that period.

My guess would be that the USA would consider a year long pause button only if the rest of the world did the same. As long as the USA can maintain the illusion of #1, by ensuring everyone else is miserable and not just them - it will be ok.

Misery loves company.
    Cocoa $12,000 per ton.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    I saw an article on Reddit today that most small businesses close in under 30 days if they have no form of revenue for that period.
    That sounds about right.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    Yup.

My Ride
    '13 GT1R

The economy will be just fine. The poor will get poorer, the rich will get richer, and we'll forget about taking future precautions 10 minutes after this is over. Right now, we all love healthcare and research, after the 10 minutes is over, we'll be back to cutting funding for both.

If a business cant afford to survive and pay its employees for 3 months, it doesn't deserve to be taking up space in the market place. We especially should not give big business even a penny.

Don't panic about the economy.
    Last edited by 04Terminator; 03-25-2020 at 12:45 AM.
    GT1R. 8.82@169
    Mission

Quote Originally Posted by ZenOps View Post
    It claims its essential, the cops obviously won't see it that way and will shut it down/fine it to death to stay open.

Cops are too busy doing non essential work and creating unnecessary distance exposure by running extra speed traps now, that they won't have time to shut down EB games or do anything actually useful. At least in Edmonton.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I can't decide how much I want to eat out. I'm kind of conflicted. I love restaurant food, but also not sure if my take-out orders for with "aggressive social distancing" strategies.

There are two local family - run places I want to support though.

And my barber TBH.
    Well, my wife is much more rational and well-informed than me, so she said we were fine to eat take-out. Got a big take-out order from my favourite Viet place for lunch and tipped the guy an extra $15 bucks too. I've been buying from him from for ten years, want to help him any way I can.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    '13 GT1R

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Well, my wife is much more rational and well-informed than me, so she said we were fine to eat take-out. Got a big take-out order from my favourite Viet place for lunch and tipped the guy an extra $15 bucks too. I've been buying from him from for ten years, want to help him any way I can.

You are very brave. We stopped eating out, delivery all that. I even douse my amazon packages in spray bleach, and let them sit outside for an hour before I bring them in. They when I open them, I spray the inner packaging.

I tried a timmies drive through, and when she passed me the card readers, I was suddenly wondering how many hands it's been through, how many employees coughed or sneezed on it. This stupid thing is going to turn me into Howard Hughes, minus all his money.
    GT1R. 8.82@169
    Mission

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    I've seen some restaurants posting that people are donating money to have them deliver food to healthcare staff. I fucking love this idea and we are going to donate the most we can manage.
    Sadly it looks like healthcare staff are unable to accept food donations now:
    https://globalnews.ca/news/6734171/c...ood-donations/

Some Albertans have been showing their appreciation for health-care workers by dropping off donations of food. But those donations won’t be accepted anymore, Alberta Health Services said.

In a series of tweets Wednesday, AHS explained “the risk is just too great right now” and “no AHS staff member may accept or serve any external, non-AHS sourced food, to patients or staff.”

Also, I went to order some food from my favourite Italian restaurant last night and they decided to shut down because they weren't getting enough business

Quote Originally Posted by 04Terminator View Post
    You are very brave. We stopped eating out, delivery all that. I even douse my amazon packages in spray bleach, and let them sit outside for an hour before I bring them in. They when I open them, I spray the inner packaging.

I tried a timmies drive through, and when she passed me the card readers, I was suddenly wondering how many hands it's been through, how many employees coughed or sneezed on it. This stupid thing is going to turn me into Howard Hughes, minus all his money.
    Just stay home buddy.
    https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=sJoNw_1585174306

My Ride
    SL550, P100DL, F-450, FIAT

I have an inkling this is going to be the hardest hit times for Alberta that we will ever see in our life.

I honestly don’t know if I want to prolong the inevitable with some of these businesses, not enough people are ordering out to keep them alive.
    Professionally Retired

Locally, sure there will be damage. But high probably two big worldwide airlines will fade out if not bluntly just give up. This is also a chance for one or two major combustion car manufacturers to call it quits too. IMO, no one else even mentions it as taboo - But Ford could just plain give up on autos and start making other things.

This event is the ultimate scapegoat to reshape everything.
    Cocoa $12,000 per ton.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Are there any organizations that I should be donating money to right now?
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast