Quantcast
The Economy Is Pooped: How Do We Help - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 17 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The Economy Is Pooped: How Do We Help

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Default The Economy Is Pooped: How Do We Help

I didn't want to 89coupe another thread, but I really want to know how we can help with the imminent poopage of the economy.
    Prioritization for me looks like:

1) Front Line Health Care Workers
    2) Vulnerable Population
    3) Low Income Families
    4) Small Businesses

Suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

My Ride
    Bicycle

I have been eating out a lot more before the lock down. Trying to help eateries around 17th ave SW, a burger/ramen at a time.

Now, I'm trying to do the same with my Starbucks coffee runs but unfortunately, there are nothing good to eat around my house.

Renee from UAP will get a gig from me if government doesn't deem dealership non-essential and get my car by end of this month.

I will keep donating to Calgary Food Bank and I am sure the need will be immense to get thru this and is the only non-profit I trust my money to.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 03-23-2020 at 08:45 AM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Is that Renee the detailing woman? I might need a service like that.

- - - Updated - - -

I can't decide how much I want to eat out. I'm kind of conflicted. I love restaurant food, but also not sure if my take-out orders for with "aggressive social distancing" strategies.

There are two local family - run places I want to support though.

And my barber TBH.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    I have been eating out a lot more before the lock down. Trying to help eateries around 17th ave SW, a burger/ramen at a time.

Now, I'm trying to do the same with my Starbucks coffee runs but unfortunately, there are nothing good to eat around my house.

Renee from UAP will get a gig from me if government doesn't deem dealership non-essential and get my car by end of this month.

I will keep donating to Calgary Food Bank and I am sure the need will be immense to get thru this and is the only non-profit I trust my money to.
    It's a hard balance for me. On one hand I want to support local but on the other hand I want to take social distancing seriously and don't feel like venturing out for takeout or doing delivery.

I'm basically going to hibernate but as soon as things look up I'll do my best to waste lots of my money on local businesses.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post
    I didn't want to 89coupe another thread, but I really want to know how we can help with the imminent poopage of the economy.
    Prioritization for me looks like:

1) Front Line Health Care Workers
    2) Vulnerable Population
    3) Low Income Families
    4) Small Businesses

Suggestions?
    I would personally place truck drivers and farmers at the top of that. None of that list can function without them on a basic level.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    I would personally place truck drivers and farmers at the top of that. None of that list can function without them on a basic level.
    Really hard to directly support those industries as an individual consumer though.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    V8s

We went from doing some kind of take out at least twice a week to none at all. No way I want random people touching/preparing my food. Our family's well-being trumps supporting local eateries. I still want to support local business in ways that make sense; I plan on visiting @tirebob sometime soon, as an example.

My Ride

Truckers are our lifeline right now, but they appear to be well-compensated with some anecdotal reports of rates tripling due to how busy they are. The government in the US needs to ensure that they keep truck and rest stops open for them.

I have been supporting our local bakeries, but it is tough to buy $50 of pastries every few days. I feel bad for the front line grocery store employees.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Really hard to directly support those industries as an individual consumer though.
    Fair point.
    That came to mind as my buddy is a truck driver. Once he stops shit gets real. I would like to see government give them and the family the same status as healthcare workers. My truck driver friend and his family still need to go grocery shopping, access pharmacy etc. While he is on the road, his wife has to do the Costco runs and look after his two kids. If she gets sick, he has to stop working. That is one load of supplies off the road.

To answer OP's original point. The only thing directly comes to mind is grocery stores giving only access to key workers like they do with the elderly.

Rip the bandaid off, or slowly peel it. For the Economy, I'm going to be brutal and say - let it go. Just let it go. If Ford is no longer a company in a year - let it go. If NASA is no longer functional because all of them were 50+ age and they never passed on any useful information to the next generation, just let it go.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 03-23-2020 at 09:19 AM.
    Trumps' signature is fraud by design.

My Ride
    4x4

Sorry but after that stunt yesterday with the nurses refusing to run nasal swabs... My support for the nurses is diminished... Sorry your union the hospital, and AHS decided nasal swabs only need surgical masks... You want respirators - bring your own. 2 dozen symptomatic isolated people moved... Exposing thousands more people, needlessly since the nurses refused to perform the tests...

Pretty sure hypocraticand nightingale oaths say you don't do that.

Not like they aren't going to be rolling in overtime at our expense. Restaurants etc are delivering them free meals at the hospital.

I'm supporting my local grocery store manager - I'm her childcare now that daycares are gone.

Id love to see more stores setting up and feeding the truckers along the highways - since the fast-food restaurants they tend to rely on refuse to allow them to order at the window. Our government should look at adjusting hours of service rules for them like they did during the Katrina aftermath. I emailed Mr Barlow on this Friday, after finding out a friend is sitting on a 72 hour reset just before Coutts - with a load of respirators... Because he ran out of hours before he got in sight of the crossing - lineup was insane.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    I'm supporting my local grocery store manager - I'm her childcare now that daycares are gone.
    That's a heck of a way to get first dibs at TP and fresh produce.

It was a small local group of nurses. I don't blame them as there are health care professionals dying from inadequate PPE. They walked out early when there was little to no impact to the public - it's a different issue if they did that during the peak. They need to protect their family too.

I read that about truck drivers. That's going to get fixed. It has to be.

I am looking into 3D printing groups as well. We won't be able to print ventilators, but I am sure there are odds and ends we could help with. I wonder if we can print face shield supports for grocery store employees. They see so many people, especially the greeters and receipt checkers at Costco.

My Ride
    4x4

Sorry but demanding PPE that's above and beyond what your union, hospital and AHS have agreed is appropriate isn't going to fly.

They're going to get it - everyone is... This is why they're well paid - wasn't that their argument as to why we can't cut back?

It still comes back to - were about to face a shortage. Waste them now unnecessarily or later during procedures they're needed? Some US hospital's are already out and their staff is working with improvised... Ours are complaining they want more...

There's no need for 3d printed pieces - most aren't dialed in for water tight, could probably sell some less effective respirators to the general population... My PAPR went to relative with medical need, so I should eyeball a new one soon

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    Sorry but after that stunt yesterday with the nurses refusing to run nasal swabs... My support for the nurses is diminished... Sorry your union the hospital, and AHS decided nasal swabs only need surgical masks... You want respirators - bring your own. 2 dozen symptomatic isolated people moved... Exposing thousands more people, needlessly since the nurses refused to perform the tests...

Pretty sure hypocraticand nightingale oaths say you don't do that.
    They don't say that. Fuckin Facebook housewife.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

EBgames claims it is an essential service. Well, it is if the internet goes down IMO.

My Ride
    Lotus and a Honda.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenOps View Post
    EBgames claims it is an essential service. Well, it is if the internet goes down IMO.
    Stores all closed friday...

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by sikid111 View Post
    Stores all closed friday...
    After Flipstah got his Animal Crossing.

It claims its essential, the cops obviously won't see it that way and will shut it down/fine it to death to stay open.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Where is "build wall around Aspen" ?
    That is easily #2 on the list. #1 debatable.

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    We went from doing some kind of take out at least twice a week to none at all. No way I want random people touching/preparing my food. Our family's well-being trumps supporting local eateries. I still want to support local business in ways that make sense; I plan on visiting @tirebob sometime soon, as an example.
    And it is greatly appreciated!!! Cheers!

Page 1 of 17 1 2 11 ... LastLast