Quantcast
Share Your Self-Isolation Recipes - Page 11 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 11 of 33 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Share Your Self-Isolation Recipes

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've heard both sides, that baking from cold is fine and that having it at room temp makes it spring more. I've been doing all my baking since WFH in a day, with no fridge rest, and they've been working well. Feed the night before, start the autolyse in the morning around 7 am, baking by 7 pm.

I've switched to a 100% AP starter and it seems to be way better then my wheat one, but as long as it's doubling in size (or more) when you feed it, you should be good. Should also float on water. I also put all my starter into my water rather then try to add it after the autolyse, as it's too much of a pain. has worked well so far

Try the 80% hydration. Higher hydration should make fluffier/lighter
    Yeah the starter floated and was doubled in size so i don't think that was the problem, but who knows for sure.

I'm wfh too, i'll try your schedule out next time as it makes a lot more sense than what i did. Any idea where to buy a good bench scraper these days? Amazon doesn't look like they are going to ship this thing any time soon so if i can find one locally i'll cancel.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    Yeah the starter floated and was doubled in size so i don't think that was the problem, but who knows for sure.

I'm wfh too, i'll try your schedule out next time as it makes a lot more sense than what i did. Any idea where to buy a good bench scraper these days? Amazon doesn't look like they are going to ship this thing any time soon so if i can find one locally i'll cancel.
    I bought mine from Lee Valley
    https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...-bench-scraper

my schedule:
    - night before, 8 pmish. Feed starter
    - day of, 7 am. weigh out flour and water. Warm water in microwave to 90ish degrees. (i use filtered water from fridge). Mix in starter to water, then water mix into dough. Cover dough, put in oven with light on (keeps it around 80F, my house is way too cold otherwise).
    - 8 am, add salt, do first stretch and fold. Every half hour do another stretch and fold till 10:30ish (depends on what im doing for work that day, not too worried if its 45 minutes between) till it looks like it's doing the window test and holding its own. Putting in oven/warm spot for the rest
    - 10:30-4ish- bulk rise in warm spot, leave it alone. should be doubled or nearly doubled in size
    - rough shaping, let sit half hour
    - shape and into proofing basket. Put proofing basket into plastic bag. Let proof for 1-3 hours.
    - Oven on approx 45 minutes to hour before baking, with dutch ovens in there for warm. Usually do this around 6ish. Oven is plenty hot and typically dough is proofed by 6:45-7

I suspect once you get it to truly pop in the oven, 700 g is plenty for two loaves.
    Last edited by Brent.ff; 04-16-2020 at 10:08 AM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

The risk reward on homemade sushi has never made sense to me.

I’m game to overpay for awesome sushi made by someone else.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

I find it’s just unpractical... pretty boring just eating a single protein at home vs all the fish

Green fish takeout...

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    I find it’s just unpractical... pretty boring just eating a single protein at home vs all the fish

Green fish takeout...
    Variety is always the best part of going out for sushi. No one wants to eat 6 tuna rolls for dinner

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    I bought mine from Lee Valley
    https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...-bench-scraper

my schedule:
    - night before, 8 pmish. Feed starter
    - day of, 7 am. weigh out flour and water. Warm water in microwave to 90ish degrees. (i use filtered water from fridge). Mix in starter to water, then water mix into dough. Cover dough, put in oven with light on (keeps it around 80F, my house is way too cold otherwise).
    - 8 am, add salt, do first stretch and fold. Every half hour do another stretch and fold till 10:30ish (depends on what im doing for work that day, not too worried if its 45 minutes between) till it looks like it's doing the window test and holding its own. Putting in oven/warm spot for the rest
    - 10:30-4ish- bulk rise in warm spot, leave it alone. should be doubled or nearly doubled in size
    - rough shaping, let sit half hour
    - shape and into proofing basket. Put proofing basket into plastic bag. Let proof for 1-3 hours.
    - Oven on approx 45 minutes to hour before baking, with dutch ovens in there for warm. Usually do this around 6ish. Oven is plenty hot and typically dough is proofed by 6:45-7

I suspect once you get it to truly pop in the oven, 700 g is plenty for two loaves.
    sweet, thank you for the detailed schedule.

I was hoping Canadian Tire had these scrapers but couldn't find one so i'll make hte drive down to Lee Valley on Saturday.

My Ride
    V8s

I was hoping Canadian Tire had these scrapers but couldn't find one so i'll make hte drive down to Lee Valley on Saturday.
    I don't have anything to add that brent didn't say already, but FWIW the knife you use to score has nothing to do with it. You can use literally anything sharp to score it. source: I worked at a bakery when I was younger.

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    I don't have anything to add that brent didn't say already, but FWIW the knife you use to score has nothing to do with it. You can use literally anything sharp to score it. source: I worked at a bakery when I was younger.
    Yeah I figured that. I thought a medical scalpel would be good as they are really sharp but turned out it was too small to get deep, so I ended up having to do a couple passes. I’ll use an exacto knife blade next time as my kitchen knives are shit and overdue on sharpening

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Drop by cal-don, they'll fix ya up.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Drop by cal-don, they'll fix ya up.
    That’s on my list to do as well. Just tough to be without any knives especially at home All day. Maybe I’ll do half and then the other half another day.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Yeah, drop half one day, half the other if you have a lot. Or just drop first thing if it's 2-3 and they'll be done same day usually. I think they used to be able to get to a kitchen knife in an hour or two previously. No idea if they have any change to timelines now.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Just an FYI. When I was at Lee Valley a couple weeks ago they weren't letting anyone in the store. You had to order from their website and they would send you an email a couple hours later when your order was ready. You could then head to the store, call when you got there and they'd bring your order out.
    There were a couple of guys hanging around the front door looking pretty pissed when they figured out they weren't allowed in.

My Ride
    Hybrid

You can get these and other kitchen stuff at Real Canadian Wholesale Club. No idea what their hours are like these days though.

https://www.wholesaleclub.ca/Home-%2.../p/20701632_EA
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

My Ride
    21 CX5 GT Turbo

I found when I was feeding half Ap half whole wheat it got really liquid in the starter, with a lot more sour smell. I am trying with 1 starter 100%ap, and the other 75ap 25 whole wheat.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Full AP doesn’t smell sour at all. Almost sweet. My full wheat was pushing an extreme sour to almost vinegar . Full AP just seems healthier

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post

Green fish takeout...
    Variety is always the best part of going out for sushi. No one wants to eat 6 tuna rolls for dinner
    I find making poke bowls at home really tasty.

In regards to sushi at home, it won't be like the selection at restaurants obviously but also I don't limit myself to 1 protein. With imitation crab meat, scallops, masago/tobiko, regular egg, salmon, tuna, tako (octopus), prepared frozen eel, you have a lot of selection. I will admit it does take a lot of prep but on the flip side you have very little pots and pans to wash and no oily shit.

With that said... I'm rural so I got no choice

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post

In regards to sushi at home, it won't be like the selection at restaurants obviously but also I don't limit myself to 1 protein. With imitation crab meat, scallops, masago/tobiko, regular egg, salmon, tuna, tako (octopus), prepared frozen eel, you have a lot of selection. I will admit it does take a lot of prep but on the flip side you have very little pots and pans to wash and no oily shit.

Stoppppppp.... had a huge sushi craving yesterday so ordered some sushi from Joey's since I had a old GC to use up. Good eats!

Sushi Cone
    Seared Pressed Salmon Sushi
    Tuna/Avocado Roll

If they had a ChopChop roll, I would of ordered 10. Sushi is the one food I could eat every day. Besides my #1 Nammer cuisine #viet4life
    Last edited by dj_rice; 04-16-2020 at 09:31 PM.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Japanese food e'ryday maaaaannn! Datts livin!

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post

Yea when sushi from great places is 20 minutes out on skip, or a quick night out. Very different than rural.

Poke bowl sounds pretty good right now, just demolished some chicken on the way in bed.

Also sushi from Joeys? Really? I like Joeys as much as the next guy but play to a places strengths lol.

fact.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Yea when sushi from great places is 20 minutes out on skip, or a quick night out. Very different than rural.

Poke bowl sounds pretty good right now, just demolished some chicken on the way in bed.

Also sushi from Joeys? Really? I like Joeys as much as the next guy but play to a places strengths lol.
    LOL wanted to use up my card, and they had 10% off + Happy Hour menu. I did get a Bacon Cheeseburger as well and a order of Crispy Mashed Potatoes?

Now to figure out what to get from Cactus Club. SUSHIIIIII (more X-Mas GC's from work)
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

Page 11 of 33 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 ... LastLast