Quantcast
Question for those who've had a car written off - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Question for those who've had a car written off

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Default Question for those who've had a car written off

Got my first offer from my insurance company (not at fault accident) via email. I'm going to argue for more because of a couple of legitmate reasons, but specifically in the email it mentions that I can claim more due to GST within two years, unless it's paid our upfront.

Has anyone had it paid upfront? Was it hard to do, or did you just ask and they gave it? Im not planning on buying a replacement until gas is back up to a dollar, which could be awhile.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Got my first offer from my insurance company (not at fault accident) via email. I'm going to argue for more because of a couple of legitmate reasons, but specifically in the email it mentions that I can claim more due to GST within two years, unless it's paid our upfront.

Has anyone had it paid upfront? Was it hard to do, or did you just ask and they gave it? Im not planning on buying a replacement until gas is back up to a dollar, which could be awhile.
    I have no idea what they are talking about with the GST? So basically my response will be of little benefit to you.

But as far as getting a car written off - yeah, I have all too much experience. In fact, that was simply how my insurance company handled it... make an offer, and if accepted, pay upfront.

In my first case, their offer was very reasonable so I just went with it. In my second case, they were using examples of cars with more mileage than mine or not even the same trim level (supercharged), so the offer was out to lunch. I had to do some research of my own with links to Autotrader and Kijiji to prove to them they were out to lunch. Even then they denied to increase the value so I went to their obudsman (sp) to try to mediate it, and finally got a reasonable offer.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    I have no idea what they are talking about with the GST? So basically my response will be of little benefit to you.
    GST Reimbursement:
    GST can be claimed on a reimbursement basis. If you purchase a replacement vehicle, please reply to this email with your bill of sale. We will reimburse the GST paid on the replacement vehicle subject to a maximum of 5% of the value of your total loss vehicle. You have 2 years from the date of the loss to claim this portion, as this is the claims limitation period. Please note, you will not be eligible for GST reimbursement under the following circumstances; GST was paid up-front as part of your settlement, your vehicle is GST registered, you do not incur GST fees on the purchase of your new vehicle, your total loss vehicle was leased and/or your new vehicle is a leased vehicle.
    Basically they are saying if I buy a replacement off of a car lot, I get the GST covered up to the value of my write-off. I'm just wondering if this is difficult to get upfront.

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

these are always open for negotiation and dont let them try to pressure you with "sign by this date for this offer" nonsense.
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

You have the benefit of it being someone elses insurance paying(at least that's what it sounds like based on your "Not at fault" comment). In this case definitely try to push the value up as high as you can, your insurance company doesn't really care, they will just be dealing with the at fault drivers insurance to get you an agreed value.

I'm not sure what they're getting at about GST either? Once you have an agreed upon value, they will cut you a check and take your car away. Period end of story. What you do with the check is your own business(unless this is a financed or leased vehicle, in which case the finance company should get the check and cut you a refund check for the difference)

My Ride
    BB6

To mimic the others, challenge the insurance company if you don't think they're offering a fair pay out. When my Micra was written off, the comparable vehicles they used to base their pay-put on were not even close (i.e. higher mileage, rougher condition, etc.)