Quantcast
Shopping for a new used car Kijji or dealership? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Shopping for a new used car Kijji or dealership?

Default Shopping for a new used car Kijji or dealership?

My daily driver (2007 Santa Fe) requires about 2k worth of mechanical work due to a CEL that just appeared. I don't know if its worth it to fix as it has higher kms so i figured i'd cut my losses and either sell it for dirt cheap and look to get something with less kms.

My budget is max 12k (preferably 10k). Would it be better to see if i can get a used car at a dealership and maybe try to get low rate financing or can i get a better deal with kijiji?

Thoughts?

What's your definition of 'low rate'? Typically interest rates on used cars are pretty high IMO, dealership or not. For that price range I think your dollar will go a lot farther in a private sale, so I'd be looking on kijiji. Just make sure you get it inspected, preferably at a dealership for whatever make you end up going with.
    dv/dt

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Quote Originally Posted by jabjab View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My daily driver (2007 Santa Fe) requires about 2k worth of mechanical work due to a CEL that just appeared. I don't know if its worth it to fix as it has higher kms so i figured i'd cut my losses and either sell it for dirt cheap and look to get something with less kms.

My budget is max 12k (preferably 10k). Would it be better to see if i can get a used car at a dealership and maybe try to get low rate financing or can i get a better deal with kijiji?

Thoughts?
    A used car dealer would not and cannot give you a low rate financing. That's where most of their profits come from, people who make bad money decisions.
    If you need to finance, get a personal loan from a bank would get you a much better interest rate.

For the Santa Fe, exactly what is the work that needs to be done and who is suggesting it?
    In general, most CEL are for emissions control and really don't affect the reliability of the car. So you could drive it, just being annoyed by the light.
    https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...ngine-light-on
    Last edited by jwslam; 04-01-2020 at 10:09 AM.

I think you can get a better deal with kijiji because you don’t have to pay a doc fee or gst. I doubt you’ll get a good interest rate from those small lots anyways.

Have you brought the Sante Fe to another mechanic for a second opinion?

Normally when financing from a dealer, the lower the cost the higher the rate. They need to make up the money difference so most banks offer different levels of rates to the finance manager ie. under 12k - 8%, 13-20k 7%, 21-30k 6% and so on. Those numbers aren't exact but its usually how it works for most major lenders through dealerships.

For the reason, I would definitely shop private.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

CPO Car dealer:

- pay GST
    - pay markup
    - pay admin fees/etc.

On the plus side the warranties can be a good idea for certain vehicles.

Also if you took the vehicle to a dealer the cost to fix certain CEL codes is wildly exaggerated. My wife was driving around a cheap (but good) Mazda when a fuel EVAP pump started acting up on an intermittennt/ monthly basis (posed zero issues).

It was quoted 1500$ (USD) typically by the dealer (found this on forums) but as it was intermittent, I just got her a Bluetooth OBDII connector and then she just reset the CEL light on her phone once a month.

I do have a line of credit i can use that is 6% interest so i can use that. I just figured that with this whole Covid stuff, dealerships are moving anything and would offer a lower rate just to move a car .

The code I got was a cam shaft position - timing over retraded (P0012 and P0016) these often related to one of the guides on the timing chain and to get to it is 8 to 11 hours and parts are about 600. It has higher kms so i dont want to spend the money to fix and have the chance of something else going

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Quote Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
    A used car dealer would not and cannot give you a low rate financing. That's where most of their profits come from, people who make bad money decisions.
    If you need to finance, get a personal loan from a bank would get you a much better interest rate.

For the Santa Fe, exactly what is the work that needs to be done and who is suggesting it?
    In general, most CEL are for emissions control and really don't affect the reliability of the car. So you could drive it, just being annoyed by the light.
    https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...ngine-light-on
    +1

If you need financing on a used vehicle. LOC/HELOC might be a better place. Dont ask for a Auto loan at the bank. Too much headache for a used vehcile.

Check what the CEL means. If if makes you feels better, ive been driving with the engine light on for the past two years. My vehicle is so dam old the electric connector to one of the sensors gives a false positive if the signal does not come right. But other than that, the vehicle runs normal.

My Ride
    370Z duhh

You will ALWAYS find a better deal on kijiji than at a dealer... dealers exist for one reason only, profit. Kijiji exists for profit too yes, but there are people too who need to get rid of their cars or are just looking to get a bit more than "the wholesale value" the slimey dealer is offering them.

The dealers will also ALWAYS sell their cars above market value... again, their sole reason for existence is profit, not to be a charity.

My Ride
    Bicycle

No access to HELOC? Can't beat prime+1% or less right now.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Heloc or bust Playas
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

I bought a car and a supercharger kit on a 8.19% line of credit once. Never again.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    No access to HELOC? Can't beat prime+1% or less right now.
    I should apply for one now and use that, its a great idea! thank you

I'm going to be look at a used EX35 or G37. Had a G a long time ago and the VQ engine seemed pretty bullet proof

My Ride
    V8s

That's a really solid choice in your price range. Just make sure you get '07+, the '05/'06 cars had oil consumption issues.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

I'm going to be look at a used EX35 or G37. Had a G a long time ago and the VQ engine seemed pretty bullet proof
    The engines are OK - but I've heard issues in Calgary (cold) with the interior electronics.

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    The engines are OK - but I've heard issues in Calgary (cold) with the interior electronics.
    what do you think is a reliable awd car or suv for 10k?

My Ride
    V8s

FWIW I had one and had no issues at all related to cold weather.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

what do you think is a reliable awd car or suv for 10k?
    Honda CRV. They have have K series chain engines.

I have keeping a eye on these on Kijjiji for a bit. The 10-15k is my budget if my current 2002 dies.
    If I was to spend only 8-10k to keep going then that would be one of top choices just on Reliability and Utility. I would look around the 2010 models (+/- a few years). The milage is not too much of a big deal. Its if you can find good records of the oil changes and how it was driven. The engines do burn oil, its not isue just so long as the owner dos not let it get low as it can stretche the chain. Then engine is kaput.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    Honda CRV.

The 10-15k is my budget if my current 2002 dies.
    Pretty sure you'd be waiting longer than waiting for Trump to die from covid

My Ride
    370Z duhh

If you're willing to stretch your budget, I have my 2013 FX37 for sale soon...195,000km, gray with black interior, 2 sets of wheels/ tires, flawless CarFax, previous owner was a lady who lived in Canmore and traveled to Calgary often. PM if interested.

BTW, can't go wrong with any of the VQ era Nissans... just make sure it's not mated to a CVT, eg. Murano.. also, some models such as Pathfinder and Xterra had problems with tranny fluid pipe cracking in radiator and mixing with coolant, just have to make sure it's been replaced or rerouted, just beware that some people have had that happened, esp with lower km models, and are trying to sell it for that reason (check the coolant for the purple slush of death).
    Last edited by 370Z; 04-02-2020 at 05:31 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast