Quantcast
Shopping for a new used car Kijji or dealership? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Shopping for a new used car Kijji or dealership?

Quote Originally Posted by 370Z View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you're willing to stretch your budget, I have my 2013 FX37 for sale soon...195,000km, gray with black interior, 2 sets of wheels/ tires, flawless CarFax, previous owner was a lady who lived in Canmore and traveled to Calgary often. PM if interested.

BTW, can't go wrong with any of the VQ era Nissans... just make sure it's not mated to a CVT, eg. Murano.. also, some models such as Pathfinder and Xterra had problems with tranny fluid pipe cracking in radiator and mixing with coolant, just have to make sure it's been replaced or rerouted, just beware that some people have had that happened, esp with lower km models, and are trying to sell it for that reason (check the coolant for the purple slush of death).
    Well, there was the timing chain guide issue and the oil gallery gasket leak issue as well, the latter was pretty widespread across VQ engines and also hard to detect until it's too late. I got lucky since mine has a functional oil pressure gauge, I was able to notice the drop in oil pressure at idle and fix it immediately. Less observant people, or ones without gauges, may not be so lucky.
    dv/dt

My Ride
    370Z duhh

Is the oil gallery leak that widespread??? I've owned at least 10 VQ powered vehicles and knock on wood, have not come across it... same with the chains, how many hours of labor are we talking?

It's probably hard to tell because many people can have a minor leak and not know about it if they don't have an actual oil pressure gauge. And to be honest, if more of the gasket doesn't blow out, it probably doesn't even matter. It's just shitty because you have to remove the timing chain to get to the gasket, so at that point it's basically a timing chain job plus ten minutes. When I pulled mine apart the chain and guides seemed fine, but I sure as hell didn't want to do it twice so I just took the opportunity to do the full chain and tensioner job. The good news is, once you do it once you should never need to touch it again.
    dv/dt

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2