Quantcast
Let’s talk cars and the future of the V8! God Emperor extends a lifeline. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Let’s talk cars and the future of the V8! God Emperor extends a lifeline.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Default Let’s talk cars and the future of the V8! God Emperor extends a lifeline.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/03/31/...omy-standards/

Amidst this Covid bullshit, the CAFE was finally rolled back.

This, cheap gas, and a need to kick start the economy when we normalize - could we save the V8 and potentially scale back our current trend toward downsizing, turbos and hybridization?

Or are we too far down the rabbit hole?
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Too far down the rabbit hole. This is purely a symbolic gesture from Trump that will accomplish nothing, unless manufacturers decide to make cars just for the US market. Even then, the biggest market is California, and California market is owned by Tesla, long past the road of no return.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    '73 Buick, '03 Ruckus, '18 Tundra

I think we are too far down the FI rabbit hole. Which for the record i am 100% on board with. Small displacement, high compression, boosted motors should be the norm. You can get v8 torque with turbo 6 cylinder motors so why ever go back to NA v8's.

Plus the new Konnieseg motor is an engineering marvel: https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...pecs-analysis/

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

V8s (and prob V6s) will go by the way of the carbureator. Select few will want them specifically for the sound and insta-torque (compared to FI engine).

NA V8s will also outlast any modern engine as well, so they will be around.

The V8 in my CLK is about as simple as they come - 3 valve, no phasers, no variable valve, no cylinder deactivation - much less to go wrong (and it does) and down the road, simplicity in ICE engines will be sought after by those who know what to look for.

My Ride
    Bicycle

EU already killed the Germans to the point that next C63 is most likely a hybrid 4 banger.

V8 and soon V6 will not have any saving on volumes as nobody will be making them soon.

My Ride
    Silverado

Quote Originally Posted by Ca_Silvia13 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think we are too far down the FI rabbit hole. Which for the record i am 100% on board with. Small displacement, high compression, boosted motors should be the norm. You can get v8 torque with turbo 6 cylinder motors so why ever go back to NA v8's.
    Reliability and repair costs.

My Ride

This will definitely allow ICE trucks and SUVs to maintain their dominance.

This should re-route some capital away from EV. Why create expensive EV F150s when you can now maintain the current generation EcoBoost power plants and save the cash.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    '73 Buick, '03 Ruckus, '18 Tundra

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    Reliability and repair costs.
    What about them? Manufacturers don't give two shits about cars after 3years/60,000km or 5years/100,000km.

Turbos last longer then 5 years

I mean at this altitude I'd rather have a FI motor anyway.
    dv/dt

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

Gas is cheap, V8's with Forced Induction is the way of the future!

Name:  85Drhb0.jpg
Views: 723
Size:  70.5 KB
    I like neat cars.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by 90_Shelby View Post
    Gas is cheap, V8's with Forced Induction is the way of the future!

Name:  85Drhb0.jpg
Views: 723
Size:  70.5 KB
    Mmmhmmm.

Yes I like this.

-H.P. Lovecraft

Some halfwit rolling back CAFE standards won't change physics. I love big motors but the writing is on the wall. The new small FI motors are amazing though, I don't really see being upset when the time comes for me to buy more of them, it will just be a great contrast to what we grew up with.

The electrics are outstanding now as well. I am more than happy to see the day when i daily drive an electric car. What a great time to be alive in terms of quality + selection.

Quote Originally Posted by E36M3 View Post
    Some halfwit rolling back CAFE standards won't change physics. I love big motors but the writing is on the wall. The new small FI motors are amazing though, I don't really see being upset when the time comes for me to buy more of them, it will just be a great contrast to what we grew up with.

The electrics are outstanding now as well. I am more than happy to see the day when i daily drive an electric car. What a great time to be alive in terms of quality + selection.
    But, but CGT. You changed my life.
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    I say we slow down the spinning of the earth so that there is 25 hours in the day.

Join me.

If they want to make CGTs again, I'd be all for it. I think they would have more problems than just the fuel economy though.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

V8’s?

I think we gotta start thinking 10 and 12 cylinders again.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by R154 View Post
    But, but CGT. You changed my life.
    Best sounding car ever!

Humble brag, I drove one in 2008. (Not E36M3’s car)
    I like neat cars.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    V8’s?

I think we gotta start thinking 10 and 12 cylinders again.
    Make exhaust great again!

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    V8s (and prob V6s) will go by the way of the carbureator. Select few will want them specifically for the sound and insta-torque (compared to FI engine).

NA V8s will also outlast any modern engine as well, so they will be around.

The V8 in my CLK is about as simple as they come - 3 valve, no phasers, no variable valve, no cylinder deactivation - much less to go wrong (and it does) and down the road, simplicity in ICE engines will be sought after by those who know what to look for.
    Not so much about engine life on NA V6/V8, your car frame will probably rust before engine dies.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Not so much about engine life on NA V6/V8, your car frame will probably rust before engine dies.
    Nah, this is a summer vehicle only for me. The vehicle (to date) has likely never seen snow.

I was still a child when I met him and his CGT. I heard it from inside the ship & anchor. Didn't say anything to my friends, just bolted outside. When I saw he had pulled into the shell I stood all glossy eyed looking at it. He took the time to come over and chat with me about it while my friends all watched me fanboy from the bar.

Seeing that thing was life changing. Sounds stupid, but it refocused me at that time and made me grind harder in school. It helped that he was literally nicer than anyone else I've ever met on beyond. He really took some time to talk to me like a friend instead of a wealthy exotic owner scoffing at the attention.

I don't think I'll ever be in a position to own one, but it still stands as a grail car for me.
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    I say we slow down the spinning of the earth so that there is 25 hours in the day.

Join me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast