Quantcast
Education budget cuts, I find it hard not to agree when CBE sends emails like this - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Education budget cuts, I find it hard not to agree when CBE sends emails like this

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Out of curiosity, why is she doing 1:1 conference calls? Doesn't seem very efficient. Making videos for kids becomes redundant.

Bay Area schools have it figured out (mostly). 4-5 hours of class zoom's daily. Even elementary kids. Kids seems to love screen time and it surprisingly works even with their low attention span. It's literally like school, except on zoom.
    That's what they're directed to do, and for her Grade level, she reads with each of her kids one on one and to assess their level and have them keep improving on their reading.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    My kids school has all "regular" class sessions in 1:many groupings. The 1:1 are for kids who need more help.

You are right it's not reasonable to do all teaching 1:1. Can't imagine anywhere is attempting that.

Rockyview. I can't image a zoom call with 5 kids all trying to read different levels of books at the same time. I don't even know how that would be possible.
    Last edited by The Cosworth; 04-10-2020 at 10:31 AM.
    Cos...

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cosworth View Post
    That's what they're directed to do, and for her Grade level, she reads with each of her kids one on one and to assess their level and have them keep improving on their reading.

Rockyview. I can't image a zoom call with 5 kids all trying to read different levels of books at the same time. I don't even know how that would be possible.
    wow, sounds like a wildly different strategy. Obviously they don't have five kids reading five different books in one video call. One-on-one reading with the teacher sounds amazing, but it's not happening with our school.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2005 F350

my son is in grade 3 and he has 1 - 1 hour meeting a week with his class. my daughter is in grade 4 and she has 2 - 1 hour meetings a week.they are only assigning 1 hour of work per day. how are the teachers staying busy?
    "Make Canada a better place, punch a Canuck fan in the face" - Jim Rome

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Quote Originally Posted by SOAB View Post
    my son is in grade 3 and he has 1 - 1 hour meeting a week with his class. my daughter is in grade 4 and she has 2 - 1 hour meetings a week.they are only assigning 1 hour of work per day. how are the teachers staying busy?
    Are they not providing other work for the kids to do at home? Assessing any projects or assignments? Making videos?

It seems schools are trying a variety of strategies but at my girlfriend's private school it seems the parents overwhelmingly want an online babysitter rather than actual materials for at-home learning, so that's what the school is now doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Antonito View Post
    It's only not imploding because a lot of parents are at home temporarily as well. When everything else goes back to normal something would need to be done if schools got cancelled for other reasons, and I'd be curious to see how a case could be made to make a massive shift away from the norm on this.

Yes possibly the national economy could permanently be crippled by nearly half, but I don't think we should make plans to help it be that way
    There is definitely options. Like having kids go to some large center where there is 200 desks for a class or something. Have a couple of aides/babysitters to make sure the little fuckers don't get too out of line. Then have a large screen or tablets at each desk, and one teacher in a remote location teaching 100 of these large classes across the time zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    There is definitely options. Like having kids go to some large center where there is 200 desks for a class or something. Have a couple of aides/babysitters to make sure the little fuckers don't get too out of line. Then have a large screen or tablets at each desk, and one teacher in a remote location teaching 100 of these large classes across the time zone.
    You left out getting a corporate sponsor

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

CBE finally standardized the tech stack. Unfortunately, they chose Google Meet, probably the worst of all video conferencing solutions lol. Even we were struggling with technical issues.

1 hour of virtual classrooms per week. That's a start I guess. Still not a lot of actual assignments, work to hand in.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

CBE finally standardized the tech stack. Unfortunately, they chose Google Meet, probably the worst of all video conferencing solutions lol. Even we were struggling with technical issues.

1 hour of virtual classrooms per week. That's a start I guess. Still not a lot of actual assignments, work to hand in.
    This isn’t surprising. CBE has had a hard on for googles suite for a while.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

What's wrong with gmeet?

A teachers class time is a very small part of their workload. The amount of people in this thread that think all they do is the assigned class time, is not only scary but sad.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Apparently my kids school is going way above and beyond. Each kid has 3-5 hours of scheduled class time per week. 10-15 hours of work.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by captain134 View Post
    A teachers class time is a very small part of their workload. The amount of people in this thread that think all they do is the assigned class time, is not only scary but sad.
    Are you actually saying that 6-7 hours per day, 5 days a week is a "very small" part of their workload? What, do they work 90 hour weeks?

I know teachers do a lot outside of classroom time, but get real.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by A790 View Post
    What's wrong with gmeet?
    - Unintuative user interface. Techy can get around it, children can not.
    - Poor performance out of any browser not Chrome. Even with Chrome it performs worse than the competition. I don't have the most powerful laptop for the kids (MacBook 12") but Zoom, Webex, Teams all work fine on it. Google Meets is so laggy it takes a couple seconds from clicking mute to actually muting. I ended up buying a new laptop just for Google Meets.
    - Poor video quality.
    - Poor UI for high # of participants (guess that could be classed as poor UI)
    - Technical issues with high # of participants. Freezing audio, freezing video. Probably attributed to poor general performance.

I only use Google Meet when I'm forced to for work, which is meetings with Google.

Quote Originally Posted by captain134 View Post
    Does anyone think that? We all know teachers do a lot of pre and post classroom work. It's not the teacher's fault here, it's the school board mandating so little work for kids, and so little interaction time. Some teachers are going above and beyond which is great. Some teachers are doing the recommended and so kids have a massive amount of downtime.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    Are you actually saying that 6-7 hours per day, 5 days a week is a "very small" part of their workload? What, do they work 90 hour weeks?

I know teachers do a lot outside of classroom time, but get real.
    Yes that is what I'm saying. My wife is a grade 8 English teacher. Monday - Friday she works around 12 hours per day then on the weekends she has to do her marking and class prep so usually about another 10 hours on the weekends (sometimes she will do all her marking on Saturday so she can have Sundays free). All that does not include her extra curricular that she is expected to do (she is in Year book and International studies groups) and definitely does not include the extra phone calls/emails to parents and Parent teacher meetings (parent teacher days she leaves for school at 6:30 am and gets home around 9:30 - 10 pm. I think you should take your own advice and get real.

- - - Updated - - -

-

Does anyone think that? We all know teachers do a lot of pre and post classroom work. It's not the teacher's fault here, it's the school board mandating so little work for kids, and so little interaction time. Some teachers are going above and beyond which is great. Some teachers are doing the recommended and so kids have a massive amount of downtime.
    Fair enough. I kind of got off track here but yes there are people in this thread implying it.

@captain134 don't even bother with this. It's been argued many times on here before. The last thing you want to do is argue with an office worker who has half the day to surf beyond. Disclaimer: I'm not saying office workers don't work hard.

Quote Originally Posted by roopi View Post
    @captain134 don't even bother with this. It's been argued many times on here before. The last thing you want to do is argue with an office worker who has half the day to surf beyond. Disclaimer: I'm not saying office workers don't work hard.
    OK thanks. Yeah I'd love to see anybody who criticizes a teachers work load/salary spend even a week doing it themselves but Rage2 is right, this wasn't really the theme of the thread. Carry on, stay safe people.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

CBE has fucked us (K students for next year)
    Kindergarten students in half-day programs will be transported one-way only. This means that students in the morning program will have transportation to school and students in the afternoon program will have transportation to their home at the end of the school day. No mid-day transportation service will be offered.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    CBE has fucked us (K students for next year)
    Hey, kindergarten is optional, just leave em in daycare.

My Ride
    Silverado

Neighbour is a teacher, for someone still working "full time" he is sure making fast work of his new deck and landscaping

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    Neighbour is a teacher, for someone still working "full time" he is sure making fast work of his new deck and landscaping
    Dude he’s working 16 hour day’s 7 days a week for basically free have some sympathy.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast