Quantcast
Education budget cuts, I find it hard not to agree when CBE sends emails like this - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Education budget cuts, I find it hard not to agree when CBE sends emails like this

My Ride
    Axis powers

Default Education budget cuts, I find it hard not to agree when CBE sends emails like this

This is what I received from my kids school today... Shaw has provided free K-12 learning that is more comprehensive than this
    TLDR; school work will be focus on Math and Reading, 5 hours per week, content released every Monday

Dear Parents/Guardians,

We hope this email finds you and your families well in the face of these uncertain times. As your child’s teachers, we have been working over the past days and weeks to put together a plan to continue our learning online. Just as learning from home is new for our families, online teaching is new for many of us, and we know there will be pieces to iron out and perfect in the days and weeks ahead. We are very excited to be taking this first step today and starting to reconnect with our students online.

As you know, the Government of Alberta and the Calgary Board of Education have indicated that the requirements for Grade 5 are that learning be no more than 5 hours weekly and be primarily focused on literacy (ELA) and numeracy (math). We will also be tying in some multidisciplinary pieces from the Science and Social Studies curricula. We want to emphasize that we know this is not school as usual – just moving online. We do not expect parents to replicate the school environment at home. Instead, the learning opportunities we are creating are designed to further the critical literacy and numeracy understandings your child has, to reconnect them with us and with their classmates, and to put them in a strong position for future academic work.

How to Access Online Learning

We will be using Desire2Learn (D2L) as our primary platform for online learning. D2L is the platform that we have used this year to communicate with you. In order for your child to access D2L, they will need to follow these steps:

Go to https://d2l.cbe.ab.ca/
    Click on “Sign In” under CBE Students and Staff
    Log in using their CBE ID Number (usually between 9 and 11 digits) and their computer password they use at school
    Once logged in, you will be able to see a Grade 5 ELA Online course and a Grade 5 Math Online course

We will make learning tasks for each week visible on Monday. You’ll be able to see them on the home page of each course.

What We’ll Be Up To

We have been working hard to come up with fun and engaging ideas for tasks that will further your child’s literacy and numeracy learning. In ELA, we’ll be starting a whole-grade novel study of Tuck Everlasting - a fun book that many classes were planning to read later this year. In Math, we’ll be starting the study of Statistics and Probability which gives students many opportunities to flip coins, toss dice, and survey their families.

Getting Help

Although we are working collaboratively to create these learning opportunities, your child’s homeroom teacher remains in charge of supporting your child in their learning. Please contact your child’s teacher via email if you have any questions or need support with the tasks or with using D2L.

Finishing Up Outstanding Work

Some Grade 5 classes have work items that were started before Spring Break which their teacher would like to complete. Teachers will be reaching out to their individual classes if this applies. Our goal is to have all outstanding work wrapped up within the next week.

Your Teacher’s Existing D2L Course

Your child’s teacher may keep their existing D2L course active and provide links to activities or other programs that were used in their classroom or are available for extra practice. You are welcome to use these activities and programs if you are looking for additional schoolwork beyond the mandated 5 hours a week for your child.

We want to thank you in advance for supporting your child as our learning transitions online. We are very excited to continue working with your child, and seeing them “online” in the days ahead! If you have any questions or concerns, please contact your child’s teacher directly.

Sincerely,

The Grade 5 Teaching Team
    Last edited by adam c; 04-01-2020 at 09:56 PM.
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    4x4

Hah ours emailed today saying they'd return the 10% of school fees not used.

1/3 is 33% but they're only refunding if you're in grade 5 because you won't be here for grade 6.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

It seems like every school is doing their own thing. You’d think CBE would put together infrastructure for each school to move online instead of having each school create their own infrastructure. It’s mind boggling.

Meanwhile in California, my coworkers kids are doing their classes on zoom and seeing everyone.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Axis powers

I’m not impressed at all, if I’m expected to be teaching my kids I’d expect a refund of all my school fees

There’s no indication in that email that teachers other than providing content on Monday will have any interactions with students... what’s the need for more than a hand full of teachers if the content is t he same across the entire city?
    Sig nuked by mod.

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

Still makes no sense what so ever for the provincial government to cut the funding, all it does is get the burden off Kenney's budget on to the federal budget...

They could leave it as is and have the staff there to better support and deliver e-learning, or they cut them so they sit at home and do fuck all and get paid from the federal programs anyway... Either way you're paying them, so why not at least have them be productive?
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by Thaco View Post
    Still makes no sense what so ever for the provincial government to cut the funding, all it does is get the burden off Kenney's budget on to the federal budget...

They could leave it as is and have the staff there to better support and deliver e-learning, or they cut them so they sit at home and do fuck all and get paid from the federal programs anyway... Either way you're paying them, so why not at least have them be productive?
    Pretty sure you are getting the chicken and the egg wrong here. From what I understood from yesterday’s press conference it was the school boards who decided they were laying people off, so Alberta Ed said fine we are pulling your funding commensurately.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Axis powers

Quote Originally Posted by Thaco View Post

It’s not teachers who were let go, it was assistants like receptionists, school bus drivers, and janitors, they don’t have much to do in these times

What are teachers going to be doing when they assign school work once per week and only in 2 subjects totalling 5 hours a week?
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

Our kids teacher said she will be available by email 8-4:30 and has provided exercises for her to do. If they are only doing part of their job they should get part of e salary. I’m not sure what it says in their contracts.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by adam c View Post
    What are teachers going to be doing when they assign school work once per week and only in 2 subjects totalling 5 hours a week?
    I think many teachers are also doing phone and video meetings with parents and students, as well as leading live online classroom and small group sessions. Or at least ours are, and I would have said before all this that our school was not at all tech-savvy.

I don't think right now is the right time to start the teachers hours of work argument up again. I don't think their workload has decreased at all from the change in education delivery.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

I KNOW I'm not the only one on here that either is a teacher (I'm not) or lives with a teacher (I do). I can tell you a few points to provide some clarity:

- The CBE has directed schools / teachers to limit the weekly workload at 5 hours because there are a lot of families who have already complained and said they can't handle that much. Some have even gone as far as to say they flat out won't be doing anything whatsoever with their kids (various reasons given).
    - Five hours worth of work will take some kids 2.5 hours and some kids 10.
    - At the request of the family extra work is absolutely available.
    - Teachers are expected to be available by email or phone during normal school hours. When I got home from work last night around 5:30 my wife was still on the phone with a family explaining some subject material.
    - Some families have indicated that they do not have the option of electronic access for their kids so the teachers are going to the schools (if they're not there already) and preparing paper versions in packages for these families.

Edit:
    - Just got additional info this morning that music and PE teachers have sent out content as well. Fuck, the last thing I want to hear is my kid playing the recorder at home...lol.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

My kids are on google video meetings with their teachers/classes right now (Thorncliffe Elementary). So weird that each school is doing their own things.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by blitz View Post
    My kids are on google video meetings with their teachers/classes right now (Thorncliffe Elementary). So weird that each school is doing their own things.
    Yup, that's the big CBE fuckup IMO. Why are all the teachers having to waste time setting up their own infrastructure? This should be organized at the board level. No video meetings at our school, but teacher is recording her work on YouTube for the kids to view. Completely different experience from others I know with kids in the city. Even video meetings are all over the map with different vendors.

Teachers should be spending time preparing and teaching, not signing up for YouTube and zoom accounts.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I think many teachers are also doing phone and video meetings with parents and students, as well as leading live online classroom and small group sessions. Or at least ours are, and I would have said before all this that our school was not at all tech-savvy.

I don't think right now is the right time to start the teachers hours of work argument up again. I don't think their workload has decreased at all from the change in education delivery.
    My girlfriend is a teacher and her workload has definitely increased. People cannot just consider how they do things as parents but how all of the other idiotic parents out there act.

She's had Grade 2 parents send her multiplication worksheets via a dozen photos to review. I'm not sure if it can even be called laziness on the parents' part given it would have taken more effort to take and send the photos than to figure out if the answer to 4 x 2 = 8 - just dumb AF. Not to mention that a lot of younger children need parents' support in logging in and using web-interfaces and if the parents (or grandparents if the parents are still working) aren't technically savvy it is a real challenge teaching the parents to get the kids even logged-in to use online platforms.

It takes a huge amount of time to prepare online worksheets and study materials as well. It's not as easy as just showing up on a webcam a few times a week and then being available by e-mail if they're actually trying to do their jobs.

My Ride
    dumpster trains

So, let me clear a little up here...

I am a TEACHER. Currently I am a substitute/surplus teacher in the eyes of the CBE. This does not make me any less qualified or capable then the rest, I was on contract from December 2018 to January 2020 and unfortunately there were no vacant positions in the school I was in at the time. There were two positions I was being tested for at a different school, however the pandemic happened and the school no longer needed me.

SUBSTITUTE/SURPLUS TEACHERS HAVE BEEN LAID OFF.

- Here is where I get a little annoyed.
    1. I am not super pro union; rather I support a system which is similar to the private system where a teacher is recognized by both their number of years teaching, but also their ability to stay relevant. I will say this, the ATA did try and work with the gov to protect the Subs, going so far as to petition that we could be used as extra online teachers to help with the burden that online learning creates.
    2. I advocate for the use of the subs as extra teachers to help with the conundrum which is online learning. I for one, am very tech savvy and honestly think I would have been much more useful then Mrs. Granger who has been teaching for 35 years and can barely turn on her own smart-board much less navigate D2L effectively.
    3. I understand cutting the funding, but I don't agree with it. There are many very, very capable teachers and EA's which have just been laid off, which could have been utilized to make this online learning more effective.

All in all, I hear those of you which are frustrated with the current situation. None of this is ideal. There is no easy way to overcome this. As davidI mentioned, there are so many barriers to the younger kids, those not financially able to make these accommodations, ELL students etc...

I do believe part of the reason the K-5 stream has been limited in this way is due to a couple factors.

1. The k-5 curriculum has very little online resources. This is why so many new teachers find elementary so hard, because it requires a lot more take home work on the part of the teacher.
    2. Moving to an online format with the little ones is difficult, with the k-3's just getting them logged on can take up to a half hour (assuming they know their passwords)
    3. The school board is trying to make sure that the content and delivery is the same across the board. Again this is unfortunate in my opinion, as there are many capable teacher such as myself that are ready and willing to go above and beyond, but we have either been laid off or told to just stay the course.

In the end this will all work out, but I fear this will not be the last time in the very near future where our students education is hindered by both the gov.

On a final note, if y'all looking for a tutor, I am accepting students K-9 (grades 3-6 preferred). PM if you want some extra help.
    Originally posted by speedog
    So more beyond armchair activism at work again?

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Quote Originally Posted by MalibuStacy View Post
    ............. and honestly think I would have been much more useful than Mrs. Granger who has been teaching for 35 years and can barely turn on her own smart-board much less navigate D2L effectively.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by jrsc00lude View Post
    burn!!

My Ride
    dumpster trains

Thanks,

Thanks,
    It was just jokes I am sure... My mom is the total grammar police so naturally I look for even the remotest opportunity to bust her on even the tiniest thing, and you being a teacher and all, well you must admit it was kind of hilarious!

My Ride
    dumpster trains

Oh totally good, I can't believe I made a mistake like that lol

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Oh totally good, I can't believe I made a mistake like that lol
    If it matters, I believed in you. Just like I believed in the tire guy who mounted one of directional tires backwards once. The ferrets have a saying : pobody's nerfect.

On another note. Are non substitute teachers on contract cut as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast