Quantcast
COVID-19 Vehicle Storage - tips - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: COVID-19 Vehicle Storage - tips

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by Sentry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The m5 has an oil temp gauge in the cluster, so yes I absolutely do know what my oil temp is, and it absolutely does get up to temp during my storage startups.
    Attachment 90351

- - - Updated - - -

But what do I know
    Well then fine.. But a lot of vehicles do not have oil temp gauges so my view still stands. If you don't have a oil temp gauge I wouldn't suggest running vehicles that are parked.

My Ride
    Lotus and a Honda.

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Bandit View Post
    So are you with Intact or Economical?
    Whoops, we call brokerlink and they deal with economical. We have so many policys with different company's I cant keep track anymore!

Just received a call back, no mistake. $6 for work commute and $40 for the kms cut in half. Did not make the change as it's only a few dollars a month.

Maskedbandit we should've swicthed when I spoke with you a couple months ago... you wouldnt even believe how badly they fucked up our house policy since we moved. I dont think I've heard so many "I'm sorry", from so many different people in one company.
    Last edited by B.Spilner; 04-03-2020 at 09:42 AM.
    Cereal Killer.
    @iambrianspilner

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    Well then fine.. But a lot of vehicles do not have oil temp gauges so my view still stands. If you don't have a oil temp gauge I wouldn't suggest running vehicles that are parked.
    My shitbox turbo mustang has none of these features, but if I follow the exact same idle, steady 3000rpm, redline routine why would it not also reach operating temp?

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by Sentry View Post
    If it's being ACTUALLY stored, and not just turned into a "pleasure" vehicle instead of a commuter, start it once in a while. Get the oil moving, let the battery charge, let it get up to full temperature. Once a month I'll make myself some coffee, start the M5 and sit in it for a half hour and listen to a bit of music. It's good to remind me I still have it, otherwise it gets forgotten in the garage over winter. Also good to remind the neighbours and rev the piss out of it a bit.
    Do NOT, for the love of pete - start a vehicle in the winter if its stored. Idling will cause the oil to break down much faster with combustion by products - not to mention BMW and its oil-related issues (depending on your model) potentially adding to your woes. Carbon can build up in intake/combustion areas from excessive idling too. Nothing good happens to a vehicle from idling in a garage.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    If you're legit storing it for months on end top up the tank and let it sit. I dont start anything until its ready to be driven on the highway and really brought up to operating temperatures. I also remove the batteries and bring them in the house rather then trickle charge them all winter. Or if I'm really lazy I just disconnect them. Come spring I'll throw the trickle charger on them a week before I'm bringing the cars out and I'm good to go.

No winter starts, no fuel stabilizer, no other witchcraft.
    This - I store my summer cars (bikes when I had them) covered outside. Battery topped up with distilled water and then disconnected. I might throw a charger on them once during a winter chinook though.
    Last edited by revelations; 04-03-2020 at 11:45 AM.

On some engines though, it is a good idea to manually turn the crankshaft like a quarter or half turn every so often. That helps make sure pistons are in different positions and you're not holding certain valve springs compressed for months on end. So I've been told, anyway...
    dv/dt

My Ride
    4Runner

If you change the oil prior to storing, do you guys still change the oil when its time to take her out? First time actually properly storing my car this winter.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Mostwanted View Post
    If you change the oil prior to storing, do you guys still change the oil when its time to take her out? First time actually properly storing my car this winter.
    Absolutely no need over one winter if you dont run the engine.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Man, I'm with Intact but my broker has been absolutely brutal to work with.
    Never responds to phone calls, and rarely replies back to e-mails at all. It's like pulling teeth and I never know if my requests or questions are answered. Is this a problem some of you guys see as well, or is my broker just terrible? I mean, I get a good price but I don't want to beg them to help me when I need something answered. It makes things worse when Intact says I should always try to contact my broker for help first and they are the only ones who can change stuff for me. Ugh.

First world problem: I don't want to shop somewhere else because that is a huge re-quote process to do and I might not even get the same rate.
    Last edited by Disoblige; 04-03-2020 at 02:15 PM.

My Ride
    Lotus and a Honda.

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Never responds to phone calls, and rarely replies back to e-mails at all. It's like pulling teeth and I never know if my requests or questions are answered. Is this a problem some of you guys see as well, or is my broker just terrible? I mean, I get a good price but I don't want to beg them to help me when I need something answered. It makes things worse when Intact says I should always try to contact my broker for help first and they are the only ones who can change stuff for me. Ugh.

First world problem: I don't want to shop somewhere else because that is a huge re-quote process to do and I might not even get the same rate.
    Exactly the same crap were going through. Stuff that should take a couple hours is taking weeks. Ask to speak with another person and let them know you're having issues with your current person.

They have really gone downhill over the last year.
    Cereal Killer.
    @iambrianspilner

I'm with Hub International and they have been great to deal with FWIW.
    dv/dt

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Quote Originally Posted by sikid111 View Post
    Exactly the same crap were going through. Stuff that should take a couple hours is taking weeks. Ask to speak with another person and let them know you're having issues with your current person.

They have really gone downhill over the last year.

Are we talking Intact or Brokerlink here? Intact is the underwriting insurance company and Brokerlink is a "broker" (sort of) that is owned by Intact?

I say Brokerlink is only sort of a broker because being owned by Intact that's where most of their policies end up (duh).
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Quote Originally Posted by Mostwanted View Post
    Curious, why would one change the oil prior to storing and not after?

My Ride
    *The First*

Shouldn't we be expecting insurance rates to drop due to fewer people driving during the pandemic and thus fewer claims & accidents?
    My stack of bills just arrived in the mail for May and I'm wondering when they will reassess rates.
    Probably not until 2021, right? I'm tempted to not put a full year on...

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    Shouldn't we be expecting insurance rates to drop due to fewer people driving during the pandemic and thus fewer claims & accidents?
    My stack of bills just arrived in the mail for May and I'm wondering when they will reassess rates.
    Probably not until 2021, right? I'm tempted to not put a full year on...
    Auto insurance premiums are adjusted based on 3-5 year rolling claims costs trends. A 3-6 month blip on vehicle usage isn't going to change base rates long term. Truth be told this might actually make premiums WORSE long term because during times of financial hardship the rate & severity of fraudulent claims goes way up. Add to that the fact that insurance companies make most of their profits from investment income and not from underwriting the actual policies and prices might actually go up long term, not down.

Who knows though, this industry is a dumpster fire right now anyway, might as well throw a can of gas on it.

My Ride
    *The First*

Auto insurance premiums are adjusted based on 3-5 year rolling claims costs trends. A 3-6 month blip on vehicle usage isn't going to change base rates long term. Truth be told this might actually make premiums WORSE long term because during times of financial hardship the rate & severity of fraudulent claims goes way up. Add to that the fact that insurance companies make most of their profits from investment income and not from underwriting the actual policies and prices might actually go up long term, not down.

Who knows though, this industry is a dumpster fire right now anyway, might as well throw a can of gas on it.
    Thank you.
    Fuck.... But, thank you...

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Are we talking Intact or Brokerlink here? Intact is the underwriting insurance company and Brokerlink is a "broker" (sort of) that is owned by Intact?

I say Brokerlink is only sort of a broker because being owned by Intact that's where most of their policies end up (duh).
    I am talking about my broker specifically. But did not want to name them publicly.
    I don't have an issue with Intact, but the problem is that I cannot change any of what I want without going through my broker. Phone number change, address change, insurance change, it all needs to go through my broker as Intact can't do shit for me directly.

My Ride

I am talking about my broker specifically. But did not want to name them publicly.
    I don't have an issue with Intact, but the problem is that I cannot change any of what I want without going through my broker. Phone number change, address change, insurance change, it all needs to go through my broker as Intact can't do shit for me directly.
    Yep, that's how it's supposed to work, trust me you want that filter between yourself and the underwriters. If the broker isn't helping you out then you should look to change them out, either with a different staff member at that firm or a different firm all together.

My Ride
    Lotus and a Honda.

My issue is with brokerlink, was confused there for a second they called back this morning and number came up "intact"...
    Cereal Killer.
    @iambrianspilner

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    Curious, why would one change the oil prior to storing and not after?
    More applies to long term storage (3-5 years) but some feel that used oil is more acidic than new and having that around (even sitting in the pan) can be a bad thing long term.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Disagree. Keep the battery charged and that's it.
    Charge your batteries people :
    Name:  Screenshot_20200505-113855.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  44.9 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3