Quantcast
COVID-19 Vehicle Storage - tips - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 60

Thread: COVID-19 Vehicle Storage - tips

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duplex city
    My Ride
    Phanbus
    Posts
    7,277
    Rep Power
    34

    Default COVID-19 Vehicle Storage - tips

    Tips for those of you who are not using all the vehicles in your fleet during this Coronavirus lockdown.
    1) if your vehicle is parked on private property, you can reduce insurance to comprehensive only.
    2) if you are parked near an electrical outlet, a battery charger/maintainer is a good idea.
    3) air up your tires before storage
    4) add fuel stabilizer and fill the fuel tank.
    5) if parked under a roof crack a window to allow air to circulate. Otherwise consider the damp-rid things from the dollar store.


    Anything else?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    1,673
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Tips for those of you who are not using all the vehicles in your fleet during this Coronavirus lockdown.
    1) if your vehicle is parked on private property, you can reduce insurance to comprehensive only.
    2) if you are parked near an electrical outlet, a battery charger/maintainer is a good idea.
    3) air up your tires before storage
    4) add fuel stabilizer and fill the fuel tank.
    5) if parked under a roof crack a window to allow air to circulate. Otherwise consider the damp-rid things from the dollar store.


    Anything else?
    Toss a bar of Irish Spring in.. apparently mice and such hate the smell.
    Get one of those fridge deodorizes to help with any moisture.

    click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    403
    My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's
    Posts
    6,032
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Toss a bar of Irish Spring in.. apparently mice and such hate the smell.
    Get one of those fridge deodorizes to help with any moisture.

    click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    I haven't used it personally but 'DampRid' is suppose to work a lot better for musty dank smelling rooms or vehicles. I will be using it in my vehicles next winter.

    https://www.homedepot.ca/product/dam...ber/1000683708

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Not the NE
    My Ride
    ‘Berta Special
    Posts
    4,860
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    I mentioned this in another thread But if you are no longer commuting make sure you turf that off your policy. It’s actually a pretty significant portion of your premium.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Ride
    '14 Taco
    Posts
    601
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I mentioned this in another thread But if you are no longer commuting make sure you turf that off your policy. It’s actually a pretty significant portion of your premium.
    ya thanks for that, i called in for dropping wives car down to being parked, and removed my commute km. saved me a good chunk

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Secret City, Alberta
    My Ride
    2018 Civic Si
    Posts
    518
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    I leave my windows open for air circulation as much as possible, no matter how long I'm parked in the garage I want to allow floor mat moisture to escape.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    YYC
    Posts
    1,614
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I mentioned this in another thread But if you are no longer commuting make sure you turf that off your policy. It’s actually a pretty significant portion of your premium.
    Are you still able to use the car to go to the store?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Not the NE
    My Ride
    ‘Berta Special
    Posts
    4,860
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chester View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are you still able to use the car to go to the store?
    Commute is completely separate from your use of the vehicle for pleasure/regular use or your annual km.

    Daily commute km is an increased risk factor for insurance.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Stampede Central
    My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'
    Posts
    1,932
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chester View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are you still able to use the car to go to the store?
    I believe he's suggesting you knock the 'commuting' kilometers off your car. Not all km. So "leisure driving" I believe is the insurance term.

    If you knock all km you are effectively only paying for fire / theft in which case no you are no permitted to drive. Period.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duplex city
    My Ride
    Phanbus
    Posts
    7,277
    Rep Power
    34

    Default

    Yeah, there are two very different options being suggested here.
    1) remove "commute" from your coverage, and then use the car of shopping weekends etc freely
    2) Remove all liability portion and park the car on private property and you can't drive it anywhere for any reason.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    YYC
    Posts
    1,614
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I believe he's suggesting you knock the 'commuting' kilometers off your car. Not all km. So "leisure driving" I believe is the insurance term.

    If you knock all km you are effectively only paying for fire / theft in which case no you are no permitted to drive. Period.
    You are correct. I changed it to pleasure only. Hehe.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duplex city
    My Ride
    Phanbus
    Posts
    7,277
    Rep Power
    34

    Default

    It's mandatory that you say the pleasure really slooowly. Plllleeeeaaaasssssuuuurrrreeeee.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Stampede Central
    My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'
    Posts
    1,932
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's mandatory that you say the pleasure really slooowly. Plllleeeeaaaasssssuuuurrrreeeee.
    Is that "Pleasure" or "Please, Sir"

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    calgary AB
    My Ride
    toyota MR2
    Posts
    2,079
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    How much are you guys saving by doing this?
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Not the NE
    My Ride
    ‘Berta Special
    Posts
    4,860
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thinmyster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How much are you guys saving by doing this?
    Was a few hundred bucks between now and august between my truck and my wife’s SUV. For a phone call now to remove, and a phone call whenever you start working again.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Calgary, Ab
    My Ride
    Zonda CRV
    Posts
    673
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thinmyster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How much are you guys saving by doing this?
    Mine works out to $18.50 a month, between now and September. Im still pondering whether to go with it.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duplex city
    My Ride
    Phanbus
    Posts
    7,277
    Rep Power
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thinmyster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How much are you guys saving by doing this?
    $65/mo on mine.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    395
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Toss a bar of Irish Spring in.. apparently mice and such hate the smell.
    This is not helpful advice; mice eat/chew the soap (witnessed first hand). Better yet tie garlic up near windows and hang horseshoes over the doors.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duplex city
    My Ride
    Phanbus
    Posts
    7,277
    Rep Power
    34

    Default

    Savage Honda Fit is in storage. Sadness, but if I'm not driving kids to school or parking downtown, what's the point of the Supercar?

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Victoria Park
    My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom
    Posts
    3,606
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Commute to Pleasure is one thing but collision to comprehensive (if you have collision) may save you even more if you see the risk is worth it. Might be if you are driving significantly less or not at all.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19)

    By Xtrema in forum Society / Law / Current Events / Politics
    Replies: 7174
    Latest Threads: Today, 12:32 PM
  2. Your Covid 19/WW3 emergency food shopping list?

    By Maxt in forum Food and Dining
    Replies: 285
    Latest Threads: 05-08-2020, 10:02 AM
  3. COVID-19 Mortgage Payment Relief: What’s Available to You

    By TimLacroix in forum Real Estate / Finance
    Replies: 50
    Latest Threads: 03-31-2020, 01:08 PM
  4. COVID-19 Tax Writeoff Info

    By The Cosworth in forum Real Estate / Finance
    Replies: 20
    Latest Threads: 03-24-2020, 02:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •