Quantcast
Any Americans on Beyond who don't live in the US... stimulus checks? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Any Americans on Beyond who don't live in the US... stimulus checks?

My Ride
    370Z duhh

Default Any Americans on Beyond who don't live in the US... stimulus checks?

So my mother in law and my wife, by birth, have US citizenship but live here in Calgary.

I've always filed their returns by paper (for some reason I swear I remember reading that non residents can't file online) and have never filled in direct deposit info because they make dick all and never get a refund or owe.

My question is, with the stimulus checks coming, can non residents actually file online? And if so, what program you using? Im thinking of trying Turbo Tax...I want to get it in in hopes of getting that stimulus check via DD instead of waiting months and months for it to come in the mail.

I always file by paper as I had the same understanding that nonresidents could not file online.

Don’t think you have enough time to file 2019 in time before stimulus checks but they should be using 2018 numbers instead.

My Ride
    370Z duhh

I tried to use Turbo Tax tonight and it said IRS only allows e file if you have a US dollar account to deposit refunds, also, paying for Turbo Tax requires a US credit card/ debit card. There was another stipulation that i read that disqualified her from e filing as well but I forgot what it was.

Good news, I read an article stating that IRS will roll out a new app next week for who don't have DD info with them yet... hopefully they'll accept my wife's Canadian bank account info though.

One new thing I learned that is my wife doesn't even need to file this year since she made less than 12G USD.
    Last edited by 370Z; 04-10-2020 at 10:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 370Z View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I tried to use Turbo Tax tonight and it said IRS only allows e file if you have a US dollar account to deposit refunds, also, paying for Turbo Tax requires a US credit card/ debit card. There was another stipulation that i read that disqualified her from e filing as well but I forgot what it was.

Good news, I read an article stating that IRS will roll out a new app next week for who don't have DD info with them yet... hopefully they'll accept my wife's Canadian bank account info though.

One new thing I learned that is my wife doesn't even need to file this year since she made less than 12G USD.
    i doubt you will be able to use a CA bank account for direct deposit.

I am pretty sure that they would just mail a cheque if they don't have DD info. I've had a refund cheque mailed to me in Canada from the IRS before.