Quantcast
Covid-19/Mental Health Anyone Else Having Trouble? - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 185

Thread: Covid-19/Mental Health Anyone Else Having Trouble?

  1. #81
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Calgary AB
    Posts
    2,104
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Cosworth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So on top of all this shit, my dad was hospitalized yesterday (non-COVID) and if he gets out, he will have to go somewhere else. He won't be returning home. Add to the issue is we can't see him and in his current state he is having a very difficult time operating a phone.

    From what my mom is telling me the Nurses at Foothills are doing great work for him, but frankly, it isn't enough. Im devastated.
    Brutal man... just ask if you need anything, even just an ear to bend.
    Bob Blakeborough

  2. #82
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Sidewall Town
    My Ride
    Sidewall
    Posts
    8,059
    Rep Power
    48

    Default

    Was finally able to crystallize why I'm so stressed about this virus stuff. Kind of have this chain of thoughts at the back of my mind constantly. 1) it seem pretty inevitable that most of us will get this long before any kind of vaccine is available. 2) Because of past history, I assume my family is at higher risk of infection than average, and 3) my family is the only point of social contact with two households of senior citizens, who although very healthy for their age, are at higher risk of death or hospitalization because of their ages.

    So when my brain wants to feel bad, it basically tells me that I'm killing these old people.

    Luckily, I haven't fell into the patterns that I remember from last time I had real depression, and mostly, I feel like i'm handling these stressful times sorta, kinda, okay, but...
    Beyond 2020 keychain fundraiser is ACTIVE
    Choose a number from the list and PM me for info.
    https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/413...nd-ca-Keychain

  3. #83
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Wildflower Ranch
    My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile
    Posts
    2,116
    Rep Power
    31

    Default

    From this course: https://www.coursera.org/learn/the-s...of-well-being/

    Understand that our strongest intuitions are often misleading (Annoying Feature of the Mind #1)
    Understand that we judge ourselves relative to reference points which are often irrelevant and make us feel worse than we should (Annoying Feature of the Mind #2)
    Understand that our minds are programmed to adapt and ultimately get used to things (Annoying Feature of the Mind #3)
    Understand that we don’t realize how good we are at adapting and coping and mispredict how certain outcomes will make us feel (Annoying Feature of the Mind #4)

  4. #84
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Wildflower Ranch
    My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile
    Posts
    2,116
    Rep Power
    31

    Default

    My turn now.
    I may be going a little bit crazy, but I quite prefer being at home. I think I will attempt to resign again tomorrow. Something weird is going on. The virus must be messing with my head. My checksum is buzzing.

  5. #85
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Victoria Park
    My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom
    Posts
    3,738
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Directly helping those around you has been good to my mental health. Of course we should do it all the time but feels especially good now to know you're making a small difference.

    Dropped rent 50% for next couple months for my tenants and will re-evaluate as months go on due to the situation. Fuck deferrals.

  6. #86
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Online
    My Ride
    Budget Baller
    Posts
    10,303
    Rep Power
    31

    Default

    Hang in there Bob. The last couple months have definitely been stressful times for everyone and there's still a lot of uncertainty with the immediate future. We all just trying to figure this shit out day by day, week to week etc.
    max_boost is a name known to all
    Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Or the max boost portfolio lol xqq/hmmj/arkk/xgro/strathmore/Chinese food lol
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is diversification in a nut shell. Equity, Fixed Income, Tech, Stoner, Real Estate, and Steady Income.

  7. #87
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    My Ride
    A vehicle or two
    Posts
    4,267
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Cosworth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So on top of all this shit, my dad was hospitalized yesterday (non-COVID) and if he gets out, he will have to go somewhere else. He won't be returning home. Add to the issue is we can't see him and in his current state he is having a very difficult time operating a phone.

    From what my mom is telling me the Nurses at Foothills are doing great work for him, but frankly, it isn't enough. Im devastated.
    Sorry to hear that. Thoughts are with ya. I imagine that not being close to loved ones in such times is widespread and heartbreaking for all.

    And also to everyone else with their own struggles - hang in there. As we open up, some things will start to seem more normal for many, I imagine.

    I only warn not to get too cozy with even the "new normal", as our new cases will certainly rise. I already see people starting to act like reopening is a ticket to throwing caution to the wind and living life like nothing is happening. Please be careful out there everyone. If you are already in this thread with your own struggles, they are gonna get a whole lot worse if this rips through your family.

    As for my own mind, I have pretty much lost the anxiety feeling of all this covid shit and accepted it. It is what it is, and I can only control what I can. My concern is really economics and that being out of work for a year and a half really isn't great on a resume in this market where opportunities are scarce to begin with. I really want to go back to work and that will do wonders for me to feel normal. Right now, I'm just coasting along.... doing reno projects, etc. Not very productive for my career, but hardly a big deal compared to what many others are facing. I should consider myself lucky for getting paid to do home improvement projects. But supplies aren't cheap, and my account only has so much padding...

  8. #88
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    32
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    You guys are truly good people. Fuckin incredible. What a forum.

  9. #89
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Calgary AB
    Posts
    2,104
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Toilet_X View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You guys are truly good people. Fuckin incredible. What a forum.
    I have met a lot of people on this forum over the years and I can say that almost everyone of them have been very stand up, stellar humans! We may bicker and nitpick with each other here all the time, but pretty much everyone here would drop just about anything to put a hand out when needed by another, asked or not. Heck of a group of people!
    Bob Blakeborough

  10. #90
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Parked in Baygirl's garage.
    My Ride
    2019 F150 Lariat 3.5L BOOST!
    Posts
    4,331
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have met a lot of people on this forum over the years and I can say that almost everyone of them have been very stand up, stellar humans! We may bicker and nitpick with each other here all the time, but pretty much everyone here would drop just about anything to put a hand out when needed by another, asked or not. Heck of a group of people!
    Point and case, when I had my big accident 2 days after taking possession of my house and having to move, 1 Beyonder made mention that I needed a hand, and a bunch of Beyonders showed up to help move my stuff, no questions asked, and how I met some new friends.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

    Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

  11. #91
    Join Date
    Jun 1987
    Location
    SK
    My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)
    Posts
    3,037
    Rep Power
    42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Toilet_X View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You guys are truly good people. Fuckin incredible. What a forum.
    Aren't you glad you didn't flush?
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.

  12. #92
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Canuckistan
    My Ride
    Exploded.
    Posts
    7,043
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    If anyone needs a sounding board or just to chat to shoot the shit and not go crazy, let me know. We're all in this together, friends.


    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The benefit of masks is not known at this time. But we do know it is some non-trivial amount more than zero.

    We also know that the cost of mask use is, essentially, zero.

    So the cost:benefit of mask use is approaching infinity. I'll take that every time. And every time I see someone without a mask, I think they are stupid.

  13. #93
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    764
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    You're not alone Bob and this is not a case of Woe is you. When this first came about my only concern was the economy but near the end of april my wife who's never had any major mental health issue was basically shutting down because she couldnt cope with working from home and taking care of our kids. Mental health is a very serious issue now with everyone, hang in there Bob!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

  14. #94
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    calgary
    Posts
    1,318
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    This is an amazing thread and reading through has helped me sort some of my own thoughts banging around in my brain.

    Covid has definitely taken a mental toll on me.
    My wife and I own and operate a small fitness/ yoga business in Airdrie. We are in our first year of operation and have operated at a loss thus far (to be expected).
    January and February were trending in the right direction and we were damn near break even on the month! and then Covid hit...
    We were shut down March 15, and paused all membership fees on April 1. Since then we have had no source of revenue. We aren't eligible for the $40,000 loan from the gov as our payroll isn't above the $20,000/year threshold because we utilize sub contractors to teach the classes...
    So we have been doing everything we can to keep the doors open, but the stresses are mounting, and the conversations around what bankruptcy would look like are getting more and more real.

    On top of that, my full time employment (while relatively secure) we have taken a 25% pay cut and are working longer hours, which has definitely put some financial stress on the home front.
    I've taken on much more as we have completed layoffs as well.
    I'm having a harder time managing my remaining team as I don't feel like I have the mental capacity or energy left to think! just grinding through the day to day.

    My wife and I are also new parents with a 6 month old (as of today!) at home, so that's been an adjustment as well!

    My mental health has definitely taken a massive beating the past few months, and I just feel so tired. Mentally and physically... and the anxiety of the unknown, of potential failure, having to rebuild financially, it's..... a lot.

    Even just typing this all out helps me feel a little better, I know we are all in this together, but it fucking sucks.

    On the coping front, I'm grateful for my home gym, I'm definitely in better physical shape now than I was coming into this.

  15. #95
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Victoria Park
    My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom
    Posts
    3,738
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    The "post what you're drinking" thread should be a Beyond Zoom session where y'all show us what you're drinking

  16. #96
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Sidewall Town
    My Ride
    Sidewall
    Posts
    8,059
    Rep Power
    48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The "post what you're drinking" thread should be a Beyond Zoom session where y'all show us what you're drinking
    Beyond drunk zoom meeting sounds nice.
    Beyond 2020 keychain fundraiser is ACTIVE
    Choose a number from the list and PM me for info.
    https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/413...nd-ca-Keychain

  17. #97
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    calgary ab
    My Ride
    EVOX
    Posts
    561
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is an amazing thread and reading through has helped me sort some of my own thoughts banging around in my brain.

    Covid has definitely taken a mental toll on me.
    My wife and I own and operate a small fitness/ yoga business in Airdrie. We are in our first year of operation and have operated at a loss thus far (to be expected).
    January and February were trending in the right direction and we were damn near break even on the month! and then Covid hit...
    We were shut down March 15, and paused all membership fees on April 1. Since then we have had no source of revenue. We aren't eligible for the $40,000 loan from the gov as our payroll isn't above the $20,000/year threshold because we utilize sub contractors to teach the classes...
    So we have been doing everything we can to keep the doors open, but the stresses are mounting, and the conversations around what bankruptcy would look like are getting more and more real.
    .

    Its definitely rough right now for our industry. Have you thought about taking some of your classes online? I think going forward this is gonna be a huge market esp the age group 50+ that are afraid to go to the gym.


    On a side note I have been playing with some self care tactics again and its been paying off huge for being productive and staying on track with all of these distractions. I was given the question in my course if someone says "what have you been up to" what would you say? 87% of people said the were busy or something negative. This usually means they haven't been doing anything for themselves and are probably just working.

    Basically the strategy is you choose ten things that you think will make you happy, healthy and give you fulfillment. When I was struggling the most I was hitting 3-4/10 and on average a person will hit 3 or less. For you to actually be putting yourself into a good space you need to be doing minimum 6. You would be surprised what you are actually putting your time into. This strategy will help you create discipline around the things that are important for your mental health instead of relying on motivation.
    Last edited by scboss; 05-22-2020 at 05:32 PM.
    Help grow my channel!
    www.youtube.com/SteveChambersXP

  18. #98
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Sidewall Town
    My Ride
    Sidewall
    Posts
    8,059
    Rep Power
    48

    Default

    Anytime you can have dog pics and useful insight, that's a good day.
    the-dog-days-will-never-be-over-22-1.jpg
    Beyond 2020 keychain fundraiser is ACTIVE
    Choose a number from the list and PM me for info.
    https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/413...nd-ca-Keychain

  19. #99
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Sidewall Town
    My Ride
    Sidewall
    Posts
    8,059
    Rep Power
    48

    Default

    This thread has died down a bit, which I hope means more people are feel well most days. That's great. I know the ai shine really helps me.

    If you aren't doing well, and you think you should be, don't add that pressure to your list of problems. Try to string together one good day in a row, and then, see if you can do two. I know I always felt worse when sitting still. If you can't get in a workout, go for a walk. Of you can't clean he garage, clean one shelf.

    And best advice I ever had for helping yourself was to try to help someone else. Go leave positive comments on someone's LinkedIn posts, or mow your neighbors lawn.

    Good luck out there friends.
    Beyond 2020 keychain fundraiser is ACTIVE
    Choose a number from the list and PM me for info.
    https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/413...nd-ca-Keychain

  20. #100
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cowtown
    My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5
    Posts
    6,117
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    I've apparently given out too much rep lately but that post needs it.
    Follow me on Instagram and Facebook!

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Anyone Else Having Trouble Selling Their Car?

    By needsawhip in forum General Car/Bike Talk
    Replies: 104
    Latest Threads: 07-12-2010, 12:23 PM
  2. Mental health

    By Supa Dexta in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 19
    Latest Threads: 11-24-2009, 11:53 AM
  3. Mental Health Section

    By CUG in forum Suggestion/Comment Box/Forum Related Stuff
    Replies: 14
    Latest Threads: 12-10-2008, 10:02 PM
  4. Anyone else having trouble with Shaw Digital Cable sound?

    By vadeit in forum Computers, Consoles, and other Electronics
    Replies: 6
    Latest Threads: 07-15-2008, 11:28 AM
  5. Mental Health *snap*

    By A790 in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 41
    Latest Threads: 05-09-2008, 07:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •