Quantcast
Covid-19/Mental Health Anyone Else Having Trouble? - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19/Mental Health Anyone Else Having Trouble?

My Ride
    Edge

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This may be have been mentioned before, there is no shame in reaching out to a psychologist or a psychiatrist. Even if you think you can manage your issues yourself, the professionals can often assist us in more ways than we ourselves can even think of. My wife is a prov. psychologist (edmonton.psychology on Instagram) and she tells me often how otherwise seemingly normal individuals with good careers (lawyers, doctors, dentists etc) will come to her and while initially be defensive and closed-off, eventually open up and realize how much they benefit from counselling, CBT etc. Especially these days when everyone is staying at home, it is even easier to access these services as they are able to operate through video chat and you can take advantage of that from the privacy of your own home. My wife's office has shifted to the online model for now, although I'd imagine a lot of other businesses are doing the same. I am sure it's not the same as doing it in person, but during tough times such as these, something is better than nothing.

In EI community I think there's still a huge stigma surrounding mental health. Though my wife says things are definitely changing as she is seeing more and more people from the community tying to address their concerns. The first thing anyone can do for themselves is acknowledge their concerns and issues instead of ignoring them. Then it is absolutely imperative to seek help from an expert.

And I have to admit, as someone who never really had any afflictions related to mental health and always thought people were being drama queens when they talked about anxiety etc., my eyes have opened quite a bit and perspective surrounding these areas significantly changed after having my wife come into my life. It's hard for people without such issues to understand what others maybe going through but the key thing to remember is help is out there and you are absolutely not alone.

To anyone who is feeling lonely, sad or otherwise down during these times - reach out to friends and family (via technology) and see if that helps. If it doesn't then a professional will be super helpful. As a side tip, download an app called Houseparty and get your friends/family to get it as well. You can play games with each other via there and in general have that interaction that everyone is being deprived of lately.
    Agree with everything. The key thing you mention is worth mentioning again: "help is out there and you are absolutely not alone." It is so easy when things get difficult for people to think they are alone but especially in the current situation, there are a lot of people going through the same. The next big thing to deal with after this pandemic will be mental health issues cause by it.

I've benefited from counseling, CBT, and medication, and those should all be considered. And, of course, as have been mentioned, exercise, developing a routine, learn some of the mental health tools online, and talking with others about how you are feeling are very important. Bottling this stuff up or in some way ignoring it will only hurt people in the long-run.

For anyone who is interested, here are some supplements that may help:

Ashwagandha (stress): https://examine.com/nutrition/2019-ashwagandha-update/

L-Theanine (for mental relaxation): https://examine.com/supplements/theanine/

Rhodiola Rosea (subjective well-being; fatigue): https://examine.com/supplements/rhodiola-rosea/

Lavender (one study found oral supplementation comparable to lorazepam): https://examine.com/supplements/lavender/

There are others but it seems that examine.com might limit non-members' usage. I've never tried lavender but I use the first three and have found them beneficial.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cosworth View Post
    I have gone through a big mental health journey in the last couple years. So while I have some tools and know the signs, this is very difficult right now for a lot of people in my team, my family, and myself included. Also going through more right now as my Dad is very sick and not looking promising.

@tirebob , I know I am a little late to the game but if you need to chat or have any questions let me know. Not sure if you can find my number anymore but PM me if not.
    @Kritafo , sorry to hear. Long time no see and not the update you want.
    I do Cos... Thanks for that man!

I am battling crazy high blood pressure and resting heart rate. Major chest pain. Was in the hospital sure it was a heart attack. Nope, just good old anxiety. Some days are better than other.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

I’ve gone through some shit in the last few years... so this whole situation is actually an improvement for me, lots of hope and see tons of potential from it... I am listening lately to shitty 80s rock though... that’s slightly alarming

But from what I’ve gone through (long story short, completely rebuild my professional and personal lives... all in true manly silence)

This is all I have to add: use this time to work on a new skill. Worried about business? Learn a skill you know would be helpful but you’ve been putting off due to everything else. Now is the time, gives you purpose, and also a sense of not only accomplishment but hope that the future will actually one day be brighter and damn it if they day never comes at least you fucking tried.

That’s it. That’s all I have, if everyone in your life is healthy, you’ve exhausted every option the gov has made available to help out all the family and staff, that’s all you can really do. Sitting idle is the worst, it compounds all the issues and you don’t even notice it

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Keep fighting the good fights. Avoid alcohol if you can, it just compounds any problems.

Practice mindfulness, try DBT (Marsha Linehan,not sure why this isn't taught in school), meditation and other healthy ways to be connected to your thoughts and emotions.

The strongest and soundest of minds I know are struggling right now. The good news is there is lots we can do at home to improve our bodies and brain to come out of this in a better state of mind than ever before. Stay strong, be safe and be hopeful.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Happy to see that the Text4Hope has been mentioned. I subscribed as well and some days I don't care but other days it gives me a chance to think slightly different and that is all that is needed to change the day.

https://www.albertahealthservices.ca...Page17019.aspx

Any kind of routine is helpful for me. Making your bed every morning before you get onto, whatever it is you're going to do, gets the day going. I mean put in an effort and be able to check off that you at least did something. Oddly it helps.

Additionally, I've found that writing a list on the best of days helps me organize. But now instead of being organized, it helps me maintain some goals to feel somewhat productive. Lately its been house renos but now I calendar in time to do my online courses, otherwise I just don't have the momentum to do it.

I have no idea what happens at the end of this. Normal going forward is a blank slate, which might be good in the end but right now it's really challenging to feel like I'm moving forward at all. I've worked hard, spent a lot of time, money and energy to feel like I was progressing in a career I actually gave a shit about, and now it's hard not to look backwards and think what was the point.

Don't normally drink and I still don't. But for whatever reason we have more alcohol in the house than ever before and I definitely notice I'll reach for a beer out of sheer boredom. Then I don't sleep well. Vicious cycle.

This post was far more scatter-brained than I intended but this online journaling has helped me and probably will go to sleep now. Speaking of journalling though, my partner likes this book and I think I'll get a copy as well: https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca...6207-item.html
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Thanks for sharing.

Text4hope still hasn't sent me anything. I signed up twice. But that is ok. You guys are better.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

I have to say... What a difference some nicer weather makes to the constitution! I am feeling so much better these last couple days compared to the last month. It also is helping bring in a bit more work so that really helps the outlook too. Hope to keep it rolling ahead!

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Great to hear Bob!
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

A little sunshine makes a huge difference to me. Oddly, I find rain really soothing too, but thats probably because Calgary gets so little. If I lived in Vancouver I'd feel differently I'm sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    TypeR

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    This may be have been mentioned before, there is no shame in reaching out to a psychologist or a psychiatrist. Even if you think you can manage your issues yourself, the professionals can often assist us in more ways than we ourselves can even think of.
    I think this alone is what needs to change especially in males. I was going through a bunch of stuff 4 years ago (split with girl, legal stuff splitting condo, had to move in with family, leg surgery) all within 8 months and just took it on the chin. I talked to a few of my friends but in the end you still need to go to your own space when you leave the conversations. I was my own worst enemy. Worst part about this is with my career (personal trainer) you cant really show emotions so i legit just had to put on a fake smile everyday and about my business.

After being like this for about six months I got super lucky. My work sent me to a life coaching course. At first I thought it was the dumbest shit possible and almost didn't go but they told me it would help my career and insisted. Literally the best thing that has ever happened to me.

Ive always been a structure type of guy and having systems in place to change my mindset and bring awareness to my triggers was a game changer. Instead of getting the "it just takes time" or the "everyone has gone through this" conversations I had legit goals and a light at the end of the tunnel.

This is coming from someone who used to think the only option is to man up and take it. What I learned is all that is, is a waste time.

Since then I have taken 3 more courses and its paid off huge for myself, my family and my career. Im glad I stumbled upon this thread its great to see everyone in this community encouraging each other, especially with how everyone has been feeling as of late.
    IG:scboss

Quote Originally Posted by scboss View Post
    I think this alone is what needs to change especially in males. I was going through a bunch of stuff 4 years ago (split with girl, legal stuff splitting condo, had to move in with family, leg surgery) all within 8 months and just took it on the chin. I talked to a few of my friends but in the end you still need to go to your own space when you leave the conversations. I was my own worst enemy. Worst part about this is with my career (personal trainer) you cant really show emotions so i legit just had to put on a fake smile everyday and about my business.

After being like this for about six months I got super lucky. My work sent me to a life coaching course. At first I thought it was the dumbest shit possible and almost didn't go but they told me it would help my career and insisted. Literally the best thing that has ever happened to me.

Ive always been a structure type of guy and having systems in place to change my mindset and bring awareness to my triggers was a game changer. Instead of getting the "it just takes time" or the "everyone has gone through this" conversations I had legit goals and a light at the end of the tunnel.

This is coming from someone who used to think the only option is to man up and take it. What I learned is all that is, is a waste time.

Since then I have taken 3 more courses and its paid off huge for myself, my family and my career. Im glad I stumbled upon this thread its great to see everyone in this community encouraging each other, especially with how everyone has been feeling as of late.
    That is how I am... Always putting on the happy show for anyone who walks in the door and the second they leave feeling like it took every ounce of my energy. I am not like that with every person and situation but some days it is really a struggle and lately with all the shit going on it just overwhelmed me. This past week has seen a definitely upswing, starting with this thread and improving through the week as I started internalizing everyone’s words and experiences. Culminating with the last couple days I feel I am climbing back up, but I am definitely being aware of my true emotions more and am going to try staying ahead of the game and acknowledge what I am feeling early and not holding it in.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    That is how I am... Always putting on the happy show for anyone who walks in the door and the second they leave feeling like it took every ounce of my energy.
    It would exhaust me to no end talking with customers all day. Especially when the conversations are probably all similar, lol. You go hard for short bursts, but 8 hours is a long time.

I always enjoy talking to you though.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    Always putting on the happy show for anyone who walks in the door and the second they leave feeling like it took every ounce of my energy.
    The time in my life when I had it worst, when when I was trying to start a business where I was the face of the business. I had to spend my ever waking hour presenting myself as someone who was already successful, already making money, already an industry leader, and I swear it was that pretense that nearly fucking got me. the fake aspect of trying to sell myself as something I wasn't yet, was truly awful.
    I can fake a smile and do pleasant chitchat for a few minutes, but having that be my entire fucking job for nearly a year was really harmful. Realizing how badly I was damaging myself was one of the primary reasons I stopped trying to run that business and started working harder at getting back as a "wage slave". Running your own company is a many peoples dreams, but I really learned that it wasn't MY dream.

Incidentally, I still think I could have a good job and career doing what I was trying to do before, but I'd work for someone else. I actually think I know who, and we've already talked about it. He can be "president" or whatever, and I can be some level(s) below on the org chart. That works for me.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Lease

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    The time in my life when I had it worst, when when I was trying to start a business where I was the face of the business. I had to spend my ever waking hour presenting myself as someone who was already successful, already making money, already an industry leader, and I swear it was that pretense that nearly fucking got me. the fake aspect of trying to sell myself as something I wasn't yet, was truly awful.
    I can fake a smile and do pleasant chitchat for a few minutes, but having that be my entire fucking job for nearly a year was really harmful. Realizing how badly I was damaging myself was one of the primary reasons I stopped trying to run that business and started working harder at getting back as a "wage slave". Running your own company is a many peoples dreams, but I really learned that it wasn't MY dream.

Incidentally, I still think I could have a good job and career doing what I was trying to do before, but I'd work for someone else. I actually think I know who, and we've already talked about it. He can be "president" or whatever, and I can be some level(s) below on the org chart. That works for me.
    That's why you need to host more foodies, come as you are, be who you are, be who you naturally are, no judging. Then CCR @flipstah

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by TomcoPDR View Post
    That's why you need to host more foodies, come as you are, be who you are, be who you naturally are, no judging. Then CCR @flipstah
    Come as you are, as you were, as you wanted me to be.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Real talk. We always do the lowdown over lo mein. Food brings people together and it’s not a judging place.

Funny enough, it’s how I had an opportunity to meet some of you heathens here and I cherish those moments.

So to anyone who feels alone at the moment, there are avenues that you can always reach out to chat or just have a sense of camaraderie.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

The beyond meets have never given me so much anxiety but enjoyment being around people. I just can't CCR.
    Cos...

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

So on top of all this shit, my dad was hospitalized yesterday (non-COVID) and if he gets out, he will have to go somewhere else. He won't be returning home. Add to the issue is we can't see him and in his current state he is having a very difficult time operating a phone.

From what my mom is telling me the Nurses at Foothills are doing great work for him, but frankly, it isn't enough. Im devastated.
    Cos...

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by The Cosworth View Post
    So on top of all this shit, my dad was hospitalized yesterday (non-COVID) and if he gets out, he will have to go somewhere else. He won't be returning home. Add to the issue is we can't see him and in his current state he is having a very difficult time operating a phone.

From what my mom is telling me the Nurses at Foothills are doing great work for him, but frankly, it isn't enough. Im devastated.
    I am sorry to hear that. Let us know if we can help.

Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 14 ... LastLast