Quantcast
Covid-19/Mental Health Anyone Else Having Trouble? - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19/Mental Health Anyone Else Having Trouble?

Quote Originally Posted by The Cosworth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So on top of all this shit, my dad was hospitalized yesterday (non-COVID) and if he gets out, he will have to go somewhere else. He won't be returning home. Add to the issue is we can't see him and in his current state he is having a very difficult time operating a phone.

From what my mom is telling me the Nurses at Foothills are doing great work for him, but frankly, it isn't enough. Im devastated.
    Brutal man... just ask if you need anything, even just an ear to bend.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Was finally able to crystallize why I'm so stressed about this virus stuff. Kind of have this chain of thoughts at the back of my mind constantly. 1) it seem pretty inevitable that most of us will get this long before any kind of vaccine is available. 2) Because of past history, I assume my family is at higher risk of infection than average, and 3) my family is the only point of social contact with two households of senior citizens, who although very healthy for their age, are at higher risk of death or hospitalization because of their ages.

So when my brain wants to feel bad, it basically tells me that I'm killing these old people.

Luckily, I haven't fell into the patterns that I remember from last time I had real depression, and mostly, I feel like i'm handling these stressful times sorta, kinda, okay, but...
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

From this course: https://www.coursera.org/learn/the-s...of-well-being/

Understand that our strongest intuitions are often misleading (Annoying Feature of the Mind #1)
    Understand that we judge ourselves relative to reference points which are often irrelevant and make us feel worse than we should (Annoying Feature of the Mind #2)
    Understand that our minds are programmed to adapt and ultimately get used to things (Annoying Feature of the Mind #3)
    Understand that we don’t realize how good we are at adapting and coping and mispredict how certain outcomes will make us feel (Annoying Feature of the Mind #4)

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

My turn now.
    I may be going a little bit crazy, but I quite prefer being at home. I think I will attempt to resign again tomorrow. Something weird is going on. The virus must be messing with my head. My checksum is buzzing.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Directly helping those around you has been good to my mental health. Of course we should do it all the time but feels especially good now to know you're making a small difference.

Dropped rent 50% for next couple months for my tenants and will re-evaluate as months go on due to the situation. Fuck deferrals.

My Ride
    NC1

Hang in there Bob. The last couple months have definitely been stressful times for everyone and there's still a lot of uncertainty with the immediate future. We all just trying to figure this shit out day by day, week to week etc.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Quote Originally Posted by The Cosworth View Post
    So on top of all this shit, my dad was hospitalized yesterday (non-COVID) and if he gets out, he will have to go somewhere else. He won't be returning home. Add to the issue is we can't see him and in his current state he is having a very difficult time operating a phone.

From what my mom is telling me the Nurses at Foothills are doing great work for him, but frankly, it isn't enough. Im devastated.
    Sorry to hear that. Thoughts are with ya. I imagine that not being close to loved ones in such times is widespread and heartbreaking for all.

And also to everyone else with their own struggles - hang in there. As we open up, some things will start to seem more normal for many, I imagine.

I only warn not to get too cozy with even the "new normal", as our new cases will certainly rise. I already see people starting to act like reopening is a ticket to throwing caution to the wind and living life like nothing is happening. Please be careful out there everyone. If you are already in this thread with your own struggles, they are gonna get a whole lot worse if this rips through your family.

As for my own mind, I have pretty much lost the anxiety feeling of all this covid shit and accepted it. It is what it is, and I can only control what I can. My concern is really economics and that being out of work for a year and a half really isn't great on a resume in this market where opportunities are scarce to begin with. I really want to go back to work and that will do wonders for me to feel normal. Right now, I'm just coasting along.... doing reno projects, etc. Not very productive for my career, but hardly a big deal compared to what many others are facing. I should consider myself lucky for getting paid to do home improvement projects. But supplies aren't cheap, and my account only has so much padding...

You guys are truly good people. Fuckin incredible. What a forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Toilet_X View Post
    I have met a lot of people on this forum over the years and I can say that almost everyone of them have been very stand up, stellar humans! We may bicker and nitpick with each other here all the time, but pretty much everyone here would drop just about anything to put a hand out when needed by another, asked or not. Heck of a group of people!

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    I have met a lot of people on this forum over the years and I can say that almost everyone of them have been very stand up, stellar humans! We may bicker and nitpick with each other here all the time, but pretty much everyone here would drop just about anything to put a hand out when needed by another, asked or not. Heck of a group of people!
    Point and case, when I had my big accident 2 days after taking possession of my house and having to move, 1 Beyonder made mention that I needed a hand, and a bunch of Beyonders showed up to help move my stuff, no questions asked, and how I met some new friends.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Toilet_X View Post
    Aren't you glad you didn't flush?
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Exploded.

If anyone needs a sounding board or just to chat to shoot the shit and not go crazy, let me know. We're all in this together, friends.

You're not alone Bob and this is not a case of Woe is you. When this first came about my only concern was the economy but near the end of april my wife who's never had any major mental health issue was basically shutting down because she couldnt cope with working from home and taking care of our kids. Mental health is a very serious issue now with everyone, hang in there Bob!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

This is an amazing thread and reading through has helped me sort some of my own thoughts banging around in my brain.

Covid has definitely taken a mental toll on me.
    My wife and I own and operate a small fitness/ yoga business in Airdrie. We are in our first year of operation and have operated at a loss thus far (to be expected).
    January and February were trending in the right direction and we were damn near break even on the month! and then Covid hit...
    We were shut down March 15, and paused all membership fees on April 1. Since then we have had no source of revenue. We aren't eligible for the $40,000 loan from the gov as our payroll isn't above the $20,000/year threshold because we utilize sub contractors to teach the classes...
    So we have been doing everything we can to keep the doors open, but the stresses are mounting, and the conversations around what bankruptcy would look like are getting more and more real.

On top of that, my full time employment (while relatively secure) we have taken a 25% pay cut and are working longer hours, which has definitely put some financial stress on the home front.
    I've taken on much more as we have completed layoffs as well.
    I'm having a harder time managing my remaining team as I don't feel like I have the mental capacity or energy left to think! just grinding through the day to day.

My wife and I are also new parents with a 6 month old (as of today!) at home, so that's been an adjustment as well!

My mental health has definitely taken a massive beating the past few months, and I just feel so tired. Mentally and physically... and the anxiety of the unknown, of potential failure, having to rebuild financially, it's..... a lot.

Even just typing this all out helps me feel a little better, I know we are all in this together, but it fucking sucks.

On the coping front, I'm grateful for my home gym, I'm definitely in better physical shape now than I was coming into this.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

The "post what you're drinking" thread should be a Beyond Zoom session where y'all show us what you're drinking

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    The "post what you're drinking" thread should be a Beyond Zoom session where y'all show us what you're drinking
    Beyond drunk zoom meeting sounds nice.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    TypeR

Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    This is an amazing thread and reading through has helped me sort some of my own thoughts banging around in my brain.

Covid has definitely taken a mental toll on me.
    My wife and I own and operate a small fitness/ yoga business in Airdrie. We are in our first year of operation and have operated at a loss thus far (to be expected).
    January and February were trending in the right direction and we were damn near break even on the month! and then Covid hit...
    We were shut down March 15, and paused all membership fees on April 1. Since then we have had no source of revenue. We aren't eligible for the $40,000 loan from the gov as our payroll isn't above the $20,000/year threshold because we utilize sub contractors to teach the classes...
    So we have been doing everything we can to keep the doors open, but the stresses are mounting, and the conversations around what bankruptcy would look like are getting more and more real.

Its definitely rough right now for our industry. Have you thought about taking some of your classes online? I think going forward this is gonna be a huge market esp the age group 50+ that are afraid to go to the gym.

On a side note I have been playing with some self care tactics again and its been paying off huge for being productive and staying on track with all of these distractions. I was given the question in my course if someone says "what have you been up to" what would you say? 87% of people said the were busy or something negative. This usually means they haven't been doing anything for themselves and are probably just working.

Basically the strategy is you choose ten things that you think will make you happy, healthy and give you fulfillment. When I was struggling the most I was hitting 3-4/10 and on average a person will hit 3 or less. For you to actually be putting yourself into a good space you need to be doing minimum 6. You would be surprised what you are actually putting your time into. This strategy will help you create discipline around the things that are important for your mental health instead of relying on motivation.
    Last edited by scboss; 05-22-2020 at 05:32 PM.
    IG:scboss

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Anytime you can have dog pics and useful insight, that's a good day.
    Name:  the-dog-days-will-never-be-over-22-1.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  40.7 KB

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

This thread has died down a bit, which I hope means more people are feel well most days. That's great. I know the ai shine really helps me.

If you aren't doing well, and you think you should be, don't add that pressure to your list of problems. Try to string together one good day in a row, and then, see if you can do two. I know I always felt worse when sitting still. If you can't get in a workout, go for a walk. Of you can't clean he garage, clean one shelf.

And best advice I ever had for helping yourself was to try to help someone else. Go leave positive comments on someone's LinkedIn posts, or mow your neighbors lawn.

Good luck out there friends.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I've apparently given out too much rep lately but that post needs it.
    Ultracrepidarian

Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 15 ... LastLast