Quantcast
What is this? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: What is this?

My Ride
    2011 Ralliart SB

Default What is this?

Got this popped up on the sidewalk in front of my house, I assume it's a water line, but unsure.

Currently sitting about 4" above the sidewalk, should I be giving 311 a call?

Name:  20200404_141453.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  156.4 KB
    Name:  20200404_141449.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  90.0 KB

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

that's the valve that can shut off the freshwater line that goes into your house. Call 311 and they'll send two dudes with a sledgehammer to pound it down. It's not supposed to stick up.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    that's the valve that can shut off the freshwater line that goes into your house. Call 311 and they'll send two dudes with a sledgehammer to pound it down. It's not supposed to stick up.
    Yup. Id definitely call as it's suck if something shifted and the water line breaks

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Frost heaving in the extreme cold weather pushed it up. We’ve always just sledge hammered them back down ourselves.

At least yours is in on your driveway.

Mine is in the middle of my front lawn which i discovered the first time i mowed my lawn last summer. Having to sharpen your brand new lawnmower's blade within the first 5 minutes of taking it out of the box is such a joy.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    At least yours is in on your driveway.

Mine is in the middle of my front lawn which i discovered the first time i mowed my lawn last summer. Having to sharpen your brand new lawnmower's blade within the first 5 minutes of taking it out of the box is such a joy.
    I'm trying to find out where mine is as well. Where does one go to find out? My neighbors looks like its on his garage front driveway but no dice on where mine is
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    79 Country Squire 95 Deville 09 Jeep JK

It's a service valve top box and a call to 311 or online request will have a water services crew come in and pound it back in place.
    Better off having them do it JIC.

My Ride
    Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by dj_rice View Post
    I'm trying to find out where mine is as well. Where does one go to find out? My neighbors looks like its on his garage front driveway but no dice on where mine is
    All your neighbours will have them roughly inline with each other down the street. Also, what you can see is just a floating sleeve with a cap.

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-04-11 at 3.11.28 PM.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  38.1 KB

My Ride
    2020 Genesis G70

I would just do it yourself. Mine seems to come up every few years. I put a block of wood on it and then a few hits with a sledgehammer and you are good.

Just use this a reminder of how lucky you are to have access to your valve unlike some others, i have heard horror stories of needing the water shut off but having the valve stuck underneath the concrete slab of the driveway. Not pretty.

And yes, sledgehammer and you are golden. Or if the corona virus snacks have caught up with you enough, just stand on it.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Bump,
    Mine is looking like this:

Name:  6EEE1530-B59C-4E12-8EEA-E76021BF0315.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  73.9 KB

Seems like it was poorly cast in? Is there issues with this?

My Ride
    rally pig

Quote Originally Posted by beyond_ban View Post
    Just use this a reminder of how lucky you are to have access to your valve unlike some others, i have heard horror stories of needing the water shut off but having the valve stuck underneath the concrete slab of the driveway. Not pretty.

And yes, sledgehammer and you are golden. Or if the corona virus snacks have caught up with you enough, just stand on it.
    CoC accidentally left ours closed for almost 24hours. makes you realize how valuable water is