Quantcast
300 Car Barn Find/Collection - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 300 Car Barn Find/Collection

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Default 300 Car Barn Find/Collection

My heart rate went up with excitement just seeing some of these cars. Hopefully the guy gets access to the third building.

Second video is 30 minutes long.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Holy shit.

Start collecting in the late 70s around 20 years old.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    Toyota Christopher Lambert

What. The. Fuck.

That collection is insane.

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

A list with photos and prices would be so awesome. Can’t see it happening though...

Oh. MY. GOD that is wild!

What are we talking, $50-$100mil in value? More? Less?

Either way this man must have had some serious money to acquire these.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by JfuckinC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A list with photos and prices would be so awesome. Can’t see it happening though...
    I bet it will. He's gotta sell em somewhere, and it would garner more attention/hype if he auctioned them at once or in a few large tranches. Not to mention the headache involved in pulling them out and prepping them for sale piecemeal or based on buyer demand.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

Ferrari GTO. Done. Over. Case closed. Fucken amazing.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Thank you for sharing this. Very very cool!
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    This and that.

I get the value and shit but I hate this whole concept of collecting cars. Wtf is the point if you don't enjoy them. I guess strictly as an investment it makes sense but then they should be kept in that condition with that intention in mind. But if you're that rich to begin with where you can have a collection like that, do you really need to make an investment out of cars as well? I don't know..might as well enjoy them when you can before you die.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    I get the value and shit but I hate this whole concept of collecting cars. Wtf is the point if you don't enjoy them. I guess strictly as an investment it makes sense but then they should be kept in that condition with that intention in mind. But if you're that rich to begin with where you can have a collection like that, do you really need to make an investment out of cars as well? I don't know..might as well enjoy them when you can before you die.
    settle down 14 weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Did you even watch the video?

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

This collection has been well covered on some other forums I frequent. The consensus seems to be there are very few gems and mostly low-quality examples in various states of disrepair. Many of what would seem to be the higher-level cars are in fact replicas or heavily modified beyond the point of actually being collectible. The star of the video - the Bizzarrini - is not a real, genuine car, but a "continuation".

In this case, I'm with Shak... I don't see the point of have a massive collection of sub-par cars just for the sake of having a massive collection. Quality > quantity any day.

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by you&me View Post
    In this case, I'm with Shak... I don't see the point of have a massive collection of sub-par cars just for the sake of having a massive collection. Quality > quantity any day.
    It's obviously something that he enjoyed and continued doing. So I guess that's the point?

I don't understand the lack of car covers though.

My Ride
    This and that.

Quote Originally Posted by D'z Nutz View Post
    Did you even watch the video?
    Skimmed through the first one. I know he started collecting them as a young dude and built it up over the years. I was referring to the concept of collecting cars in general. If I have 50 cars, as long as I am driving them all relatively regularly I have no issue with that. The problem is when you start storing them with the hopes of making money on them in the future. That's something I am not in favour of. Especially cars that aren't special in any way for the most part.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    settle down 14 weeks.
    I don't get this reference? But then again most of the time I think you're talking to yourself anyway so all good. lol

Edit: Wait is that a dig towards how long I keep my cars for? Haha.
    Last edited by shakalaka; 04-14-2020 at 01:00 PM.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by blitz View Post
    It's obviously something that he enjoyed and continued doing. So I guess that's the point?

Yes, acquisition of volume was the point and presumably he enjoyed it, so sure, different strokes and all that...

But like I said, I don't get it... Very few of the cars seem to be actually collectible, or quality examples of their kind... Buying, transporting, storing and keeping that many cars is a giant endeavour, and it may be the "thrill of the hunt", but then to go through all of that just have them rot in some low-grade facility... Strange.

And it's not like it was a budgetary decision... Clearly the owner has the means... Seems like a curious allocation of resources.

There's an analogy that comes to mind about guys that would fuck any ditch pig, just to get another 'notch'... I didn't really understand that either...

My Ride
    V8s

Obviously.

Regarding your post though, by your logic, why would anyone collect anything then? It's not like you're gonna go play catch with a baseball that babe ruth signed.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I don't get this reference? But then again most of the time I think you're talking to yourself anyway so all good. lol

yes I often talk to myself, because if nobody else is making you laugh sometimes ya gotta take matters into your own hands. Also yes, a gentle dig about how you don't keep cars very long, so we must all look like collectors to you. Shit, I've had my "short term beater" for like six years now. Really I'm just jealous of your cars.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    Obviously.

Regarding your post though, by your logic, why would anyone collect anything then? It's not like you're gonna go play catch with a baseball that babe ruth signed.
    That's kind of my point... If you're going to collect baseballs, it makes sense for them to at least be 'collectible', say like ones signed by Babe Ruth. Why bother collecting baseballs if their just foul balls from kid's t-ball, or not even actual baseballs?

Quote Originally Posted by blitz View Post

This. He clearly likes to spend money and it seems as though the thrill of the hunt was more exciting than actually using them or keeping them in great condition. There are certainly some nice cars in there (Lusso, 288 GTO, GT40's) , but it is so intertwined with replicas and half complete cars that it makes it a little underwhelming (if 300+ historic cars could be such).

This is garage 1 out of 3, with the third warehouse supposedly having the most expensive portion of the collection. If this warehouse is full of "cast-aways", i am holding out hope there will be some real magic in the next two.

My Ride
    This and that.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    yes I often talk to myself, because if nobody else is making you laugh sometimes ya gotta take matters into your own hands. Also yes, a gentle dig about how you don't keep cars very long, so we must all look like collectors to you. Shit, I've had my "short term beater" for like six years now. Really I'm just jealous of your cars.
    No need to be jealous brother. Sometimes I wish I wasn't like this and I'd likely have enough savings to retire now. Haha. Everyone is different so ultimately you gotta do whatever works best for you.

I have nothing against people keeping cars for extended periods of time. I just personally don't like it when people will 'store' cars over winter - especially cars that aren't really anything that special. But I understand not everyone wants to drive their Aston Martin's and what not through the winter like I have been. I have a buddy who has a 2013 or 2014 E63 AMG that he bought used a year or two ago. Sure a very nice car by all means - but does it really need to be completely stored in winter and do you really need to make Instagram posts about how you miss it and can't wait to drive it in the summer? Like fuck off.

As you&me said; if something is actually a collectible then sure I guess (although knowing me I wouldn't) but just cause you like a car or even if it's an expensive car that does not in itself make it a collectible.
    Last edited by shakalaka; 04-14-2020 at 04:21 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast