Quantcast
Trudeau's $9 Billion Extravaganza - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Trudeau's $9 Billion Extravaganza

Quote Originally Posted by dezmarez View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I can verify this.
    It really was the semi-ghetto eh?
    I would say our junior high was about as ghetto as you could possibly get without being real ghetto

*note ghetto refers to Calgary-standard of ghetto

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Quote Originally Posted by A790 View Post
    lol when I went to school, Sep - April I lived off of what I earned May - August...

But yea, fuck those students!
    Of anyone, you don't want to say this shit to me.

I used to do golf course construction/landscaping in the summer months in order to pay for school. The only worthwhile money was in overtime and given the short building season I'd end up working ~250-350 hours per month (unless it rained enough to make the jobsite unworkable, which were my only days off all summer). On top of that, I usually had to drive 45 minutes to 1.5 hours each way every day. My summer's involved getting up at 4:30am and often getting home at 8pm/9pm to shower, sleep, and repeat the next day. If I was stuck on a shovel or rake for the day, my fingers would swell up so badly over night that I couldn't hold a cereal spoon in the morning. I worked my ass off to get by.

I'm not against support being provided to students, particularly super low-interest loans to help cover expenses (which I think should be in place regardless, tbh). If students show that they've had temporary income from working over previous summers then I'd be okay with a CERB-type temporary allowance for them as well. I'd rather those students receive a larger payment and those who don't need to work their way through college receiving nothing.

What I don't like is a generic handout targeting typically left-wing political supporters whose political views are often based on unrealistic preaching at the very post-secondary institutions that apparently qualify them to receive 'free' money.

Canada's AAA rating is now in jeopardy due to our fiscal status which just means more costs will soon accrue to service our own debts.

Quote Originally Posted by davidI View Post
    I'd rather those students receive a larger payment and those who don't need to work their way through college receiving nothing.

What I don't like is a generic handout targeting typically left-wing political supporters whose political views are often based on unrealistic preaching at the very post-secondary institutions that apparently qualify them to receive 'free' money.
    Is redistributing tax dollars to poor people not a left-wing idea anymore?

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Quote Originally Posted by kertejud2 View Post
    Is redistributing tax dollars to poor people not a left-wing idea anymore?
    I haven't seen any guidelines re: income being part of the qualification for receiving this money. The kid driving the new Porsche given to them by their parents for graduating high school will be receiving this money too.

My point is that people who weren't planning/wanting to work shouldn't be receiving money for being unable to work. Just as EI should theoretically function.

My Ride
    Nissan x2

I used to do golf course construction/landscaping in the summer months in order to pay for school. The only worthwhile money was in overtime and given the short building season I'd end up working ~250-350 hours per month (unless it rained enough to make the jobsite unworkable, which were my only days off all summer). On top of that, I usually had to drive 45 minutes to 1.5 hours each way every day. My summer's involved getting up at 4:30am and often getting home at 8pm/9pm to shower, sleep, and repeat the next day. If I was stuck on a shovel or rake for the day, my fingers would swell up so badly over night that I couldn't hold a cereal spoon in the morning. I worked my ass off to get by.
    My Ride: Boeing, Airbus
    I take it you are an airline pilot now? Seems like all the hard work paid off.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Everybody's got a story that will break your heart. It doesn't make you special. You'd think that yours would've given you a bit more empathy.

I'm not sure why you think putting people into debt is a smart move during a time of crisis. Debt is bondage and now is not a great time to be forcing it on people who are, effectively, victims of circumstance and timing. I don't align with your obvious right-leaning philosophy and I think it's appropriate that the government is making financial assistance available.

There's no denying an obvious cost to the "free money" being thrown around by the government to keep people afloat, but I view that as an inevitable cost vs. one I can mitigate. My biggest focus right now is supporting myself and the people around me, and I welcome government assistance in doing so.

RE: Canada's AAA credit rating, it's more or less being driven by plunging resource values, but sure, let's pretend that a < two month old program is the cause of it.

I haven't seen any guidelines re: income being part of the qualification for receiving this money. The kid driving the new Porsche given to them by their parents for graduating high school will be receiving this money too.

My point is that people who weren't planning/wanting to work shouldn't be receiving money for being unable to work. Just as EI should theoretically function.
    Already you're conflating two different things. Planning and wanting to work aren't the same as needing to work. Plus wanting and need to work in the past isn't necessarily indicative of planning and needing to work in the present or future.

What if the kid who got the brand new Porsche was wanting and planning to work this summer, and worked last summer as well? How many poor students actually want to work rather than need to work? How do you really prove that you were willing and wanting to work? Just record that you sent some resumes out? Pretty low bar and easily exploitable (so in that case, what's the benefit having the added red tape)?

If it's about income, basing things on parents income also has some different problems. Most notably, what is a household income that would declare people 'rich' enough to have a student not worthy of the money? Whatever number is picked, even pro-rated by province or region like EI, will negatively affect Albertans more than anybody given the effect on the oil economy (wages the limit were based off of aren't the reality for most, so the 'new poor' won't be accounted for). Any national flat number will put the majority of Albertan students outside of the range. Then we're not even into the case of why should all students be based off what their parents make since parents don't support their kids the same

Rather than try to account for all these cases and exceptions, it's much more efficient to get the money to the people that need it by cutting the red tape and giving it to 'everybody.' Will some people who don't need it get it? Absolutely. But isn't that better than somebody who needs it not getting it because they fall into an unlucky caveat? Especially when the program can have a two pronged effect of helping people who need the money and being a minor stimulus as well. Reducing the bureaucracy needed for the system is a good thing.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Quote Originally Posted by kertejud2 View Post
    What if the kid who got the brand new Porsche was wanting and planning to work this summer, and worked last summer as well? How many poor students actually want to work rather than need to work? How do you really prove that you were willing and wanting to work? Just record that you sent some resumes out? Pretty low bar and easily exploitable (so in that case, what's the benefit having the added red tape)?
    Show that you worked and made income the previous summer. Simple.

Show that you worked and made income the previous summer. Simple.
    So why do you care if somebody receiving a new Porsche gets the money or not so long as they made an income the previous summer?

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I'm not against support being provided to students, particularly super low-interest loans to help cover expenses (which I think should be in place regardless, tbh). If students show that they've had temporary income from working over previous summers then I'd be okay with a CERB-type temporary allowance for them as well. I'd rather those students receive a larger payment and those who don't need to work their way through college receiving nothing.

Canada's AAA rating is now in jeopardy due to our fiscal status which just means more costs will soon accrue to service our own debts.
    I get that you worked hard for your money and think giving lazy people money is against the grain for you. Fair enough for proved laziness (and good luck proving who would have been lazy this summer or not). Something to consider is showing empathy to those that can or would have worked just as hard as you did, but given the state of the entire fucking world this summer, have been robbed of that opportunity. We don't know what the next few months will look like and frankly I'm surprised the government is trying to be proactive on this.

I'm sorry but all I'm hearing from some of you are, "I didn't get any help, why the fuck should these lazy pricks get a handout" and the answer I provided with that article I posted earlier is that most students aren't lazy like your anecdotal evidence would suggest.

Someone will con the system while the system will also fuck over someone that desperately needs the help. Accepting it's not perfect is something you'll have to come to terms with, but I see this helping a lot more people than "wasting" money giving to spoiled rich kids.
    Ultracrepidarian

Everybody's got a story that will break your heart. It doesn't make you special. You'd think that yours would've given you a bit more empathy.

I'm not sure why you think putting people into debt is a smart move during a time of crisis. Debt is bondage and now is not a great time to be forcing it on people who are, effectively, victims of circumstance and timing. I don't align with your obvious right-leaning philosophy and I think it's appropriate that the government is making financial assistance available.

There's no denying an obvious cost to the "free money" being thrown around by the government to keep people afloat, but I view that as an inevitable cost vs. one I can mitigate. My biggest focus right now is supporting myself and the people around me, and I welcome government assistance in doing so.

RE: Canada's AAA credit rating, it's more or less being driven by plunging resource values, but sure, let's pretend that a < two month old program is the cause of it.
    So the question is what's worse? Plunging a few key people into bondage? Or our country as a whole?

I sure hope they have a better plan going forward other than giving out free money. People are going to quit their low income jobs to take benefits as it just makes sense. Then you do not have grocery, meat processing, etc workers. Mask are needed for all until they can find vaccines or effective drugs that could be taken early on like Tamiflu. I would rather force mandatory mask wearing and open up most business and I hope everyone else would realise that's the best option if we want to not destroy our economy. The flames should start selling branded masks like the Vancouver Aquarium. It would make more people be ok in wearing one.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Pipty View Post
    I sure hope they have a better plan going forward other than giving out free money. People are going to quit their low income jobs to take benefits as it just makes sense.
    So how many people have quit their jobs when CERB came out? Oh that's right, they didn't because CERB is less than minimum wage for full time workers. Even if they did quit, there's hundreds of people willing to take their empty position.

I love the assumption that everyone is lazy as fuck with zero work ethic. Because only rich people have that, right?
    Last edited by Tik-Tok; 04-26-2020 at 08:39 AM.

Speaks of empathy, yet lacks the ability to empathize.

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    So the question is what's worse? Plunging a few key people into bondage? Or our country as a whole?
    Its for the greater good comrade, bankrupting everyone across the country will lead to glorious utopian revolution where everyone is equal.

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    So how many people have quit their jobs when CERB came out? Oh that's right, they didn't because CERB is less than minimum wage for full time workers. Even if they did quit, there's hundreds of people willing to take their empty position.

I love the assumption that everyone is lazy as fuck with zero work ethic. Because only rich people have that, right?
    And you know the stats how? I've heard of people asking to be laid off and accommodated

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Pipty View Post
    And you know the stats how? I've heard of people asking to be laid off and accommodated
    My assumption that there's hundreds of people who would take their job is as valid as your assumption that they left 100% because of money, and not other factors like compromised health issues, or living with family members that are high risk of death if they brought covid home.

No matter how hard a student works, they will not make it to the moon. The door has been shut on that for half a century.

Its little wonder that they "settle" for avocado toast. I do have some sympathy from the OK boomer generation that put massive levels of debt on the upcoming generation so that spending on "extras" like moon trips - will not be affordable at any level of hard work.

Arguably, I'd hire a machine before a student anyhow, and ask the AI the hardest math question known to man - instead of a math grad.
    Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post

Anecdotally, several friends have said they have friends/family who intentionally got out of work to claim CERB. Not sure how you'd obtain actual statistics for it...

I'd be surprised if employers were hiring replacements for them at this time.

I don't assume that everyone is lazy as fuck. I just know a lot of people would rather stay home and do whatever they want with government money they get without effort than to go work for their earnings, even if it amounted to a bit more.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Keep in mind some employers likely needed to downsize so employees asking to be laid off probably helps the business. Its way easier if one or some workers volubtarily decide to be laid off rather than the employer having to make the cut. Some people are in better financial situation to shift over to CERB than others.

Apparently it's fine when oil companies and telecoms gave voluntary layoff options last downturn but now that it's minimum wage people they're lazy fucking... You guys have a weird view of the world

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

I don't assume that everyone is lazy as fuck. I just know a lot of people would rather stay home and do whatever they want with government money they get without effort than to go work for their earnings, even if it amounted to a bit more.
    Except hallowed_point. Anyone remember him?
    Anything not earned personally is considered a silver spoon.

Point: There are people on both ends of the crazy spectrum. Those who leach off the system any time they can, and the stubborn ones who rather be homeless and full of debt than take a handout.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4