Quantcast
Is diesel going to permanently be more expensive than gas now? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Is diesel going to permanently be more expensive than gas now?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Default Is diesel going to permanently be more expensive than gas now?

I know diesel used to flip back and forth between being more expensive than gas in the winter, and cheaper in the summer. But with gas being at 60c and diesel still at $1, I'm wondering if it's going to stay that way.

I liked my diesel Jetta (for all 3 weeks I owned it), and wanted to buy another one, but if it's going to be permanently 40c higher, I won't bother.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

It’s been permanently higher for the last 2-3 years from what I’ve seen. I’m paying 87 cents for diesel right now, feels good man.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It’s been permanently higher for the last 2-3 years from what I’ve seen. I’m paying 87 cents for diesel right now, feels good man.
    I'd call it a decade, but I haven't had a diesel vehicle in a long time, so maybe I'm off a bit.
    It definitely was about 15% cheaper going way back and since then it has moved up quite a lot plus it spikes in winter to to power generation for extreme Northern communities.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I’d say we are more likely to see a heavy sin tax for diesel based on the whole VW scandal than see diesel get cheaper in the next 10 years.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I think a tax on white sunglasses.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

People buying more shit means more trucks and trains and that means more diesel. I don't think passenger vehicles have anything to do with diesel price. Of course I'm frequently wrong so what the fuck do I know.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    is broken

When Ultra low sulphur (15 ppm) diesel became a requirement in 2006 it got more expensive to produce.

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Also noticed this, the price premium at times has been totally extreme. The other day driving by a shell, Regular $0.60, Premium $0.90? 50%??

I agree though, apparently, there is less competition for diesel prices at the retail hence less motivation to play price lowest price game.
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

I just paid 75.9 cents for Shell Diesel at 16th ave and 19th street NE. I could barely believe the price.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    I just paid 75.9 cents for Shell Diesel at 16th ave and 19th street NE. I could barely believe the price.
    So it became worth it as soon as I bought a gas daily driver, lol. Figures.

I'm actually about to buy a TDI myself. Even if diesel is more expensive, it's still cheaper over the year because the mileage is so much better. I get 9.5l/100km in the CRV, but it's like 5l/100km in a TDI. Unless diesel becomes double the price of gas, I'll still be ahead. Also I can highway cruise a TDI for 500k km no problem.

But mainly it just annoys me having to fill up every 450km. Fort Mac is like 430km, so I'm sucking fumes whenever I roll into town. Diesel gets rid of that problem when I'm pulling 1000km between fill ups.

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    I'm actually about to buy a TDI myself. Even if diesel is more expensive, it's still cheaper over the year because the mileage is so much better. I get 9.5l/100km in the CRV, but it's like 5l/100km in a TDI. Unless diesel becomes double the price of gas, I'll still be ahead. Also I can highway cruise a TDI for 500k km no problem.

But mainly it just annoys me having to fill up every 450km. Fort Mac is like 430km, so I'm sucking fumes whenever I roll into town. Diesel gets rid of that problem when I'm pulling 1000km between fill ups.
    That is true and a fairly redeeming feature. On the Cayenne I am consistantly around 9L/100km with pure city driving, highway is around 6-7 generally with very long fill up times (when you do have to fill up though...)
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

Quote Originally Posted by Neil4Speed View Post
    That is true and a fairly redeeming feature. On the Cayenne I am consistantly around 9L/100km with pure city driving, highway is around 6-7 generally with very long fill up times (when you do have to fill up though...)
    Just did a fill up on my new to me 2006 TDI. I got 5.4L/100km. That's completely stock. A fuel mileage tune should get that at least to 4.5 was 87cents for diesel and 82 cents for gasoline today. I'll be getting a solid 1200km per fill up once the tune is done.

I had diesel pickups from 2015 until 2018. I don't anymore as I am not towing as much.

Diesel was at par, or cheaper for almost all those years IIRC. Now, gas has been cheap enough that even towing >10k lbs, a gas truck is as economical as a diesel, without the repair bill to match.

However, my understanding is that large ocean vessels are no longer allowed to use "bunker" fuel (aka high sulfer, bad for the environment diesel). Since there are only so many refineries in the world for diesel, and because ships no longer operate on what essentially was the left over dregs of fuel from refineries, there was a sudden (permanent) increase in demand for low sulphur diesel, with little to no expansion in supply.

Maybe the NWR will be profitable due to these new circumstances? One could dream!

My Ride
    *The First*

Price is the same or within five cents of today's 92.9 for regular gas.