Quantcast
Covid19 Bankruptcy Thread - Page 18 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8 17 18 19 ... LastLast
Results 341 to 360 of 511

Thread: Covid19 Bankruptcy Thread

  1. #341
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Calgmonton/AB
    Posts
    637
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Guy Laliberte is going to buy it back on the cheap. Quebec is probably going to back him too. Guaranteed.
    tenor(6).gif

  2. #342
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    YYC
    Posts
    3,097
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    MEC might be done very soon.
    Their Covid-19 setup is pretty poor imo.

  3. #343
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Fiesta ST
    Posts
    924
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    MEC might be done very soon.
    Their Covid-19 setup is pretty poor imo.
    MEC needs to install a bunch of plexiglass and open all their tills and they'd be fine. Why the fuck they try and operate with 2 or 3 tills open ... I have no idea
    Nolan

  4. #344
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Canuckistan
    My Ride
    Exploded.
    Posts
    6,986
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Awww man I have to buy a climbing helmet and Atmosphere suuuuuuux


    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The benefit of masks is not known at this time. But we do know it is some non-trivial amount more than zero.

    We also know that the cost of mask use is, essentially, zero.

    So the cost:benefit of mask use is approaching infinity. I'll take that every time. And every time I see someone without a mask, I think they are stupid.

  5. #345
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    169
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Awww man I have to buy a climbing helmet and Atmosphere suuuuuuux
    Vertical Addiction
    Valhalla Pure
    Monod
    Climb On Squamish

    There's lots of options out there...

  6. #346
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    10,074
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    I like MEC as much as the next guy, but everything they sell can easily be bought elsewhere, and a lifetime warranty on outdoor wear is not hard to find. It will suck if they go out of business as their stores are nice to be in, but it won't change much IMO.

    Hard to believe they aren't thriving now though, weather is great and outdoor activities have been 'open' for a long time now. People have never been more eager to get out of the house and they even have an online store.

  7. #347
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    39
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I like MEC as much as the next guy, but everything they sell can easily be bought elsewhere, and a lifetime warranty on outdoor wear is not hard to find. It will suck if they go out of business as their stores are nice to be in, but it won't change much IMO.

    Hard to believe they aren't thriving now though, weather is great and outdoor activities have been 'open' for a long time now. People have never been more eager to get out of the house and they even have an online store.
    MEC products (the MEC 'brand' stuff) have gone under a sharp quality and durability decline in the past 10-15 years. Stuff I have from the 90s and 00s has held up better than similar stuff from five years ago. The stuff was good so you rarely ever needed a warranty.

    Now as you say the stuff isn't hard to find, and now there isn't a quality gap. If the MEC brand stuff isn't good and what you're left with for quality is named brands, might as well shop around for the best price and service, which now is probably at places like Atmosphere instead.

  8. #348
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cowtown
    My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5
    Posts
    6,073
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Agreed the MEC brand stuff isn't remotely close to the quality of yester-year. I sure hope they can pull through though. Going to the MEC downtown is like a kid in the candy store.
    Follow me on Instagram and Facebook!

  9. #349
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    N/A
    My Ride
    The longest continuously used automobile nameplate
    Posts
    2,903
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    I'm not a MEC guy by any means but I do know that the frequency by which I visit their B&M stores has pretty much dropped to zero. Probably the two biggest reasons was the attitude of the staff and also the general lack of staff - customers do not generally like being talked down to and their staff IMO has become very adept at talking down to customers. Also, I shouldn't have to wait a gazillion years to actually get a warm breathing body to help me - I will actually leave and go to the competitor down the road who can actually help me and is actually interested in doing so.

    Now I know I am quickly becoming a dinosaur in this day and age of online shopping of which my wife and I do none of but customer service and care should still be very important to any business that wants to have a loyal customer base whether that business be on-line or at a brick and mortar location.

  10. #350
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Ride
    (maah raahde)
    Posts
    5,808
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    MEC might be done very soon.
    Their Covid-19 setup is pretty poor imo.
    Is this news or speculation?

  11. #351
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Ride
    GLC43
    Posts
    8,379
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by D'z Nutz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is this news or speculation?
    https://www.citynews1130.com/2020/04...irus-struggle/

    They weren't in good shape before COVID. My MEC pack from 90s is still going strong and they fixed the zipper once under warranty. No complaints and will be missed if they can't make it.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 06-30-2020 at 09:06 AM.

  12. #352
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Canuckistan
    My Ride
    Exploded.
    Posts
    6,986
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    https://www.citynews1130.com/2020/04...irus-struggle/

    They weren't in good shape before COVID. My MEC pack from 90s is still going strong and they fixed the zipper once under warranty. No complaints and will be missed if they can't make it.
    Their huge expansion definitely is a cause for that. They built a giant store in Kelowna. Like, wtf.


    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The benefit of masks is not known at this time. But we do know it is some non-trivial amount more than zero.

    We also know that the cost of mask use is, essentially, zero.

    So the cost:benefit of mask use is approaching infinity. I'll take that every time. And every time I see someone without a mask, I think they are stupid.

  13. #353
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    calgary
    Posts
    1,247
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Their huge expansion definitely is a cause for that. They built a giant store in Kelowna. Like, wtf.
    Not to mention their massive store in Seton.
    It still hasn't opened back up.

  14. #354
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duplex city
    My Ride
    Phanbus
    Posts
    7,417
    Rep Power
    36

    Default

    I used to be a hardcore mec fanboy. I will be sad.
    Make the world a radder place, grow a mullet.
    Public Mobile is the best, just like Phil Collins' mullet.

  15. #355
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cowtown
    My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5
    Posts
    6,073
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Their huge expansion definitely is a cause for that. They built a giant store in Kelowna. Like, wtf.
    Agreed. Trying to dip their toes into too many pools and expanding way too much. Edmonton has two MECs. WHY?! Even IKEA knows only one store per city
    Follow me on Instagram and Facebook!

  16. #356
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Calgary,AB
    My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX
    Posts
    856
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agreed. Trying to dip their toes into too many pools and expanding way too much. Edmonton has two MECs. WHY?! Even IKEA knows only one store per city
    Well Calgary is planning to have 3 MEC stores right - the one in beltline, one in seton and one near bowness in that new suburb near COP.

  17. #357
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cowtown
    My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5
    Posts
    6,073
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Exactly! It's asinine imo.
    Follow me on Instagram and Facebook!

  18. #358
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Calgary, Alta
    Posts
    1,175
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Might not be a big name around here but Chesapeake is in bankruptcy as of yesterday.

    That’s a big deal. A company with as much production as Cenovus for a Canadian example.

    That’s a lot of value erosion.
    I wonder if Aubrey Mclendon is alive somewhere, laughing at this news. I seem to remember something about his death stating that the body was burned so badly it was unidentifiable?

  19. #359
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    169
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well Calgary is planning to have 3 MEC stores right - the one in beltline, one in seton and one near bowness in that new suburb near COP.
    AFAIK the plan is to close the beltline store and just have seton and bowness.

    MEC just isn't competitive due to a bunch of really stupid decisions made in the past and their attempt to move into the space of the big box retailers which is a race to the bottom that they are not equipped to handle. Especially when they are too busy doing stupid SJW crap instead of focusing on running a COOP. The board of directors and the whole place over there is filled with idiots who are going to run the whole thing right into the ground.

    I've been buying a fair bit of climbing gear of late from SportChek/Atmosphere because they actually have sales where they mark down their gear. MEC doesn't do so for the public only to the staff... No way I am going to pay 25-30% more just to support that place.
    Last edited by mazdavirgin; 06-30-2020 at 11:35 AM.

  20. #360
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Canuckistan
    My Ride
    Exploded.
    Posts
    6,986
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Support local!

    I bought a helmet at Norseman Outdoor Specialist near Glamorgan. Got lucky because all Atmosphere is sold out; MEC has an hour wait? Definitely not bankrupt

    I'm waiting for CNRL buying everyone.


    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The benefit of masks is not known at this time. But we do know it is some non-trivial amount more than zero.

    We also know that the cost of mask use is, essentially, zero.

    So the cost:benefit of mask use is approaching infinity. I'll take that every time. And every time I see someone without a mask, I think they are stupid.

Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. US petroleum company - Bankruptcy and consolidation thread

    By ExtraSlow in forum Society / Law / Current Events / Politics
    Replies: 18
    Latest Threads: 11-08-2019, 11:04 AM
  2. Honda Files For Bankruptcy!!!

    By 89coupe in forum Automotive News
    Replies: 68
    Latest Threads: 04-02-2008, 02:55 PM
  3. Where to go to file for bankruptcy?

    By MIWYFSHOTTER in forum Real Estate / Finance
    Replies: 24
    Latest Threads: 05-26-2006, 08:20 AM
  4. Darren McCarty files for bankruptcy

    By 5hift in forum Sports, Health & Fitness
    Replies: 12
    Latest Threads: 04-13-2006, 01:49 AM
  5. Last British carmaker to declare bankruptcy (DAMN IT!)

    By /////AMG in forum Automotive News
    Replies: 16
    Latest Threads: 04-27-2005, 05:01 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •