Quantcast
buyer wants to back out of a car deal AFTER giving me the cash. #whatwouldbeyondo - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: buyer wants to back out of a car deal AFTER giving me the cash. #whatwouldbeyondo

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I would be having a long talk with a manager at the bank, of the fraud department, to ensure you aren't being fucked here. I wouldn't be taking it from any teller.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Yeah, don't send him money for like 10 business days minimum, there's probably nothing afoot, but there are ways to perpetuate fraud in this manner.
    This! Be careful man... Wire transfer stuff can be scammy but not sure of the specific details of course. Tell him he bought the car. If he wants to leave it with you until it is sold again you will send back his money less your commission fee, unless of course the money is confirmed legit and his family is going to leave him over it and you GAF and feel bad. Otherwise, he bought a car.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

help the guy out within reason if you can. his wife must be really hot or strong

My Ride
    ute

I've talked to him on skype numerous times and I know who he is through some professional connections. It's unlikely a fraud but I'm going to be carful.

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

5% is likely not enough IMO. Can't be easy to move a 100k car in this economy.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Keep money, send car. This was an apparent 100K impulse buy. Not your problem now that you have the funds.

If multiple people were chomping to buy the car and getting another buyer was easy, then fine option C (15%).

More often than not, I'm a stick in the mud with this kind of stuff. A deal is a deal.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    2013 Toyota RAV4

I swear this happened before on Beyond. Some young kid bought a Corvette and wanted to return it to the Beyonder, but I can't find the thread.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    A. Ship the car. Tell him it’s a YP not a MP.
    Buster sold an orange Corvette?

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

A. Ship the car. Tell him it’s a YP not a MP.
    I don't know this industry jargon.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Quote Originally Posted by SKR View Post
    I don't know this industry jargon.
    You Problem, not a Me Problem. Dang kids and their hip slangs.

Personally, the only tactic I've tried in a buyer-tries-to-back-out-of-completed-car-sale situation is to engage in a shouting match with them on your front lawn. I'm 1/1 so far, so clearly this is your best option.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

You problem/my problem?

Money laundering?

Without an executed agreement I’d be wary of keeping a large amount. A couple % to cover costs.

Is sending the car without a signed bill of sale an option? I’m not sure i would.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by BerserkerCatSplat View Post

Personally, the only tactic I've tried in a buyer-tries-to-back-out-of-completed-car-sale situation is to engage in a shouting match with them on your front lawn. I'm 1/1 so far, so clearly this is your best option.
    LoL!! That sounds hilarious! This is golden advice but it should be a requirement that both combatants be adorned in Wife Beater shirts.

And be White Trash, but now we're entering the entrance of the Department of Redundancy Department.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by lasimmon View Post
    Without an executed agreement I’d be wary of keeping a large amount. A couple % to cover costs.

Is sending the car without a signed bill of sale an option? I’m not sure i would.
    He's not "keeping" anything. The buyer has to agree to take this hit, or execute the existing, binding contract.

He's welcomed to not agree to it - at which point he's presented with the keys to the car he bought but suddenly wants to weasel out of.

My Ride
    This and that.

Everyone is forgetting that Buster knows this guy through some professional connections. So there are at least some arms length relationship and mutual connections in existence. Which means it's not likely to be a scam. Once that is ascertained for sure to be the case, I would suggest delving into the reasoning as to why the sale is being backed out of. If it's something like I found a better deal elsewhere on the same vehicle, then something maybe able to get worked out. If it's something like, my life will come to an end if I go ahead with it then it's your call as to how much you want to help someone out. I'd definitely keep a deposit, depending on the time and effort, I'd say 5% is reasonable.

If someone was dropping $100K cash on a car, more likely than not they either found a better deal or a better investment for their money as opposed to being in dire financial need to keep living their lives.

All that being said, strictly speaking as far as the legal side of things are concerned, there seems to be an offer and acceptance, i.e., there is a legally binding contract. Send the car, let him re-sell if that's what he needs to do. But all depends on what sort of mutual connections are in existence and if that move would harm you in some way down the line.

PS: This is not legal advise.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    LoL!! That sounds hilarious! This is golden advice but it should be a requirement that both combatants be adorned in Wife Beater shirts.

And be White Trash, but now we're entering the entrance of the Department of Redundancy Department.
    Well, if the gravy-stained undershirt fits....

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    Everyone is forgetting that Buster knows this guy through some professional connections. So there are at least some arms length relationship and mutual connections in existence. Which means it's not likely to be a scam. Once that is ascertained for sure to be the case, I would suggest delving into the reasoning as to why the sale is being backed out of. If it's something like I found a better deal elsewhere on the same vehicle, then something maybe able to get worked out. If it's something like, my life will come to an end if I go ahead with it then it's your call as to how much you want to help someone out. I'd definitely keep a deposit, depending on the time and effort, I'd say 5% is reasonable.

If someone was dropping $100K cash on a car, more likely than not they either found a better deal or a better investment for their money as opposed to being in dire financial need to keep living their lives.

All that being said, strictly speaking as far as the legal side of things are concerned, there seems to be an offer and acceptance, i.e., there is a legally binding contract. Send the car, let him re-sell if that's what he needs to do. But all depends on what sort of mutual connections are in existence and if that move would harm you in some way down the line.

PS: This is not legal advise.
    I like the sounds of shakalaka's not legal advise.
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    V8s

It would be an easy A if you didn't have personal connections with the buyer. I would try and preserve reputation if there was any risk, so C is probably best path forward.

My Ride
    ute

I'm not sure if I'm even legally allowed to do c if i technically no longer own the car. Ugh.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast