Quantcast
Been out of the PC build game for years, what mobo/cpu/ram path to take from here? - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Been out of the PC build game for years, what mobo/cpu/ram path to take from here?

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

AMD B450 and X470 will support Zen 3 now. https://www.techspot.com/news/85286-...ort-zen-3.html

My Ride

I removed the top cover off my case to test out the noise. It's not really that bad even with GPU at almost full load.
    GPU temp dropped a few degrees to about 62C with the junction at around 81C. I've seen the junction go over 90C on a warm day but that's supposed to be normal for AMD.

My Ride
    rally pig

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I removed the top cover off my case to test out the noise. It's not really that bad even with GPU at almost full load.
    GPU temp dropped a few degrees to about 62C with the junction at around 81C. I've seen the junction go over 90C on a warm day but that's supposed to be normal for AMD.
    I heard about that, went with x570 just because but I'll ask Memory Express their thought on a good B450 that is cheaper than the x570 that I ordered

this rig will remain as it is for atleast 3-4 years for me so it just needs to be stable but it would be nice to have 2 nvme slots.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by taemo View Post
    I heard about that, went with x570 just because but I'll ask Memory Express their thought on a good B450 that is cheaper than the x570 that I ordered

this rig will remain as it is for atleast 3-4 years for me so it just needs to be stable but it would be nice to have 2 nvme slots.
    What are your plans for the dual nvme slots? I purchased this guy and thought that it's a pretty good price/performance. https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX75359

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Question for the experts here. I now have 32gb of ram but have never exceeded 12gb of utilization even with a large lightroom catalog, a few dozen tabs in chrome/explorer/firefox, folding@home, civ 6, large excel spreadsheets open. What's the deal?
    The extra memory is useful so you can do other stuff while Lightroom is rendering, for example. I mean, my Chrome uses something like 15gb here, so lightroom+chrome open would use up all the memory haha.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    rally pig

What are your plans for the dual nvme slots? I purchased this guy and thought that it's a pretty good price/performance. https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX75359
    just cleaner cable management.
    I want to have 1 nvme for OS and 2nd nvme for Lightroom and Games.

that way I will only have one physical SATA drive (4TB) for my raw files

Quote Originally Posted by zechs View Post
    You'll want X570. AMD has been in a shitstorm the past week because they screwed B450 mobo customers. B450 will not support the newest zen2 desktop processors. You'll be stuck at the 3600 (or could pay for a 3950x I suppose) as your only upgrade path unless you change mobos.

My tomahawk max has been great, and I love the 3600, but I would have bought a X570 board for an extra $70 if I knew I'd never be able to upgrade

The 3600 runs surprisingly warm. Do not run the oem cooler, unless you like having a vacuum cleaner on at all times. I ended up undervolting the 3600 slightly and put a All-In-One 120mm water cooler on it, swapped the fans out for Noctua pressure 140mm fans. Silent under full load.

Definitely an upgrade over my 4670k that was oc'd on air to 4.1ghz.
    Not sure where you're getting your info but Zen 2 is already supported on B450. Ryzen 3XXX is Zen 2. Some B450 mobos will also support Ryzen 4XXX desktop (Zen 3).

Beyond that, in 2021 (Ryzen 5000 / Zen 4) the socket is changing to AM5 and you will definitely need a new board.

My Ride

just cleaner cable management.
    I want to have 1 nvme for OS and 2nd nvme for Lightroom and Games.

that way I will only have one physical SATA drive (4TB) for my raw files
    I don't know if there is a huge benefit to having a separate nvme for the OS. It's pretty damn fast already.

My Ride
    rally pig

I don't know if there is a huge benefit to having a separate nvme for the OS. It's pretty damn fast already.
    just personal preference of not running everything on one drive, that way I can rebuild/reinstall the OS drive without having to worry about personal data.
    I have a Samsung 500GB NVME on my current rig already that will become my data drive on this new rig.
    the SN750 will be the OS drive

My Ride

Interestingly enough. Unclocking and undervolting my 5700XT by 150Mhz/100mV reduced peak junction temp from 93C to around 62C.

My Ride
    rally pig

Interestingly enough. Unclocking and undervolting my 5700XT by 150Mhz/100mV reduced peak junction temp from 93C to around 62C.

is that common for 5700XT? Is it becausing you are running F@H all the time or running something GPU intensive?

My Ride
    Lariat 2.7 & StreetTriple R

My main concern with an open case like that is pet hair and dust getting into the peripherals, whereas a closed case has some filters at the intakes. Have you found that to be an issue?

My Ride

is that common for 5700XT? Is it becausing you are running F@H all the time or running something GPU intensive?
    The high temps are normal for this card. There are people reporting >100C at the junction (but only 70-80 overall). I must have messed up something when testing because power draw was only in the 65w range vs 165w on full throttle, so I used Auto Tuning to "Undervolt GPU". This gets me to about 1985Mhz @ ~1155mV on about 150w consumption with temperatures of 62C and 80C (junction). That's not bad at all. Overall a pretty good card once the drivers finally updated via windows.

And yes. I am F@H all the time now to contribute to science - you should too! There is even an account already warmed up for you on the beyond.ca team.
    Last edited by The_Rural_Juror; 05-21-2020 at 09:15 PM.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by OTown View Post
    My main concern with an open case like that is pet hair and dust getting into the peripherals, whereas a closed case has some filters at the intakes. Have you found that to be an issue?
    I would be more concerned with your pet getting caught in it.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Don't keep it on the floor. Even with a closed case you really should have it up off the ground.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Don't keep it on the floor. Even with a closed case you really should have it up off the ground.
    +1. Other things can get caught in there when you have open cases close to the ground.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

So after doing some reading, I am convince to switch out of the Intel camp as the 10th gens seem to be 8th gens with new numbers.

I was thinking that a 3600 (non X) is the best bang for the buck, but then I am aware that Zen 3 will be released in the next 6 months.

Wanting to do some video editing and I think I might be able to run my 4770K and simply get a decent video card to run Davinci. Then look at the lay of the land once Zen 3 is released.

WWYD? haha

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    So after doing some reading, I am convince to switch out of the Intel camp as the 10th gens seem to be 8th gens with new numbers.

I was thinking that a 3600 (non X) is the best bang for the buck, but then I am aware that Zen 3 will be released in the next 6 months.

Wanting to do some video editing and I think I might be able to run my 4770K and simply get a decent video card to run Davinci. Then look at the lay of the land once Zen 3 is released.

WWYD? haha

Wait until Q3/Q4 and get Ryzen 4000 + Nvidia Ampere. I think you will regret it if you don't, unless you absolutely need something right away.

On the AMD side, you are getting an entirely new architecture and higher than average year-over-year performance gains.

On the Nvidia side you are getting another very significant change with a process drop to 7nm and again higher than average year-over-year performance gains.

With both of those imminent, it's not a great time to buy a new PC in my opinion, unless it's urgent.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Not at all - because you are not running a vacuum cleaner of a PC (less CFM), these open case units collect MUCH less dust inside as an equal unit with many fans struggling to move air out of an enclosed box at all times.

Side note, if you put any PC on a floor in a room without any carpets (eg. hardwood, lino) - it will become a dust magnet due to the electrostatic charge alone and our dry climate makes it worse.
    Last edited by revelations; 05-22-2020 at 11:24 AM.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post

WWYD? haha
    Do double of what taemo did...then buy two and trade one to msommers for his machine.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast