Quantcast
Been out of the PC build game for years, what mobo/cpu/ram path to take from here? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Been out of the PC build game for years, what mobo/cpu/ram path to take from here?

Default Been out of the PC build game for years, what mobo/cpu/ram path to take from here?

Motherboard: Asus H97M-E
    CPU: i7-4790 @ 3.6GHz
    RAM: 16GB (unknown spec)
    GPU: 1080ti

I mostly use this as a 2-3 screen workstation now (3 slacks and 5 gmails open via tryshift.com, 2-3 Excel, Notion, Figma, Tandem, Zoom, sometimes have the markets up via interactive brokers (which is a bit of a cpu hog).

Noticing dragging its feet every once in a while, and it hasn't been upgraded in like 5-6 years... what motherboard socket set should I be going for now? I'm guessing because my current motherboard is old that I'd need to get new RAM if I upgraded from the LGA1150 platform?

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Quote Originally Posted by Super_Geo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

I mostly use this as a 2-3 screen workstation now (3 slacks and 5 gmails open via tryshift.com, 2-3 Excel, Notion, Figma, Tandem, Zoom, sometimes have the markets up via interactive brokers (which is a bit of a cpu hog).

Noticing dragging its feet every once in a while, and it hasn't been upgraded in like 5-6 years... what motherboard socket set should I be going for now? I'm guessing because my current motherboard is old that I'd need to get new RAM if I upgraded from the LGA1150 platform?
    Both AMD and Intel have new chipsets on the way. The new intel stuff apparently turns the focus back on to AMD, with i3's having i5 of yesteryear performance and so on.

BTW, logicalincrements.com is the best place to get an "at a glance" build for a given price range. Check it out.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

No you can get DDR3 just fine still. RAM should not be a problem.

What you are seeing is the HDD coming to an end. It starts to sputter as it does.

A SATA SSD would be a HUGE upgrade for that rig and would eliminate the need to dump 2-3k on a descent system for a while.

My Ride
    rally pig

very similar spec to mine except i have a 1060.
    what did you notice slowing down? games or day to day apps or video/photo editing?
    I upgraded my cpu from 4460 to 4790 during covid19 for fun and I find it fine for most stuff that i do include some occasional gaming and lightroom.
    one thing I noticed is that the 4790 is one hot cpu as my fan cant keep it cool enough once busy but i dont see myself needing to upgrade for another couple of years though

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Ssd is best. Buy one, enjoy, use that system for years.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by A790 View Post
    Both AMD and Intel have new chipsets on the way. The new intel stuff apparently turns the focus back on to AMD, with i3's having i5 of yesteryear performance and so on.
    Gotcha, will wait it out. I was looking up benchmarks and the AMD chips are on a rip, great to see them back in the game. Surprised Intel let them catch up given how large their lead was for what felt like a decade.

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    No you can get DDR3 just fine still. RAM should not be a problem.

What you are seeing is the HDD coming to an end. It starts to sputter as it does.

A SATA SSD would be a HUGE upgrade for that rig and would eliminate the need to dump 2-3k on a descent system for a while.
    Nice, on it!

Quote Originally Posted by taemo View Post
    very similar spec to mine except i have a 1060.
    what did you notice slowing down? games or day to day apps or video/photo editing?
    I upgraded my cpu from 4460 to 4790 during covid19 for fun and I find it fine for most stuff that i do include some occasional gaming and lightroom.
    one thing I noticed is that the 4790 is one hot cpu as my fan cant keep it cool enough once busy but i dont see myself needing to upgrade for another couple of years though
    Usually just flipping through tabs on Brave/Chrome while I have everything else open.

I'm in full boomer mode when it comes to gaming... I don't have the patience to learn any new games, if I ever have the itch I just look up whatever the newest Civilization game is, buy it, play it like it's my full time job for 2-3 days, uninstall, wait for the itch to come back anywhere from 1-3 years later

My Ride
    rally pig

good catch on the SSD, was on the assumption that OP was already on SSD so I was curious to hear what games he was playing that was slowing down his PC.

+1 on SSD, very easy to switch though either with built in windows software or 3rd party software.
    I have been using Paragon Migrate OS to SSD for a couple of years now to upgrade my PCs and family and has saved me a lot of time.
    Or you could create a system image and restore it from recovery with free builtin Windows tools.

Crucial MX500 or Samsung EVO 860

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

Quote Originally Posted by taemo View Post
    good catch on the SSD, was on the assumption that OP was already on SSD so I was curious to hear what games he was playing that was slowing down his PC.

+1 on SSD, very easy to switch though either with built in windows software or 3rd party software.
    I have been using Paragon Migrate OS to SSD for a couple of years now to upgrade my PCs and family and has saved me a lot of time.
    Or you could create a system image and restore it from recovery with free builtin Windows tools.

Crucial MX500 or Samsung EVO 860
    +1 to both of those drives, only comment I've got is that they both come with (or did, it's been a while) migration utilities which work very well in my experience.

@Super_Geo I'm also on a 4790k system, and haven't really felt the itch to upgrade just yet. Per core performance for our chips are still in the ballpark of even the latest stuff from AMD and Intel, they've just got more cores in them now.
    Last edited by cyra1ax; 05-07-2020 at 06:57 AM.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

SSD and reformat would be plenty to bring new life to that computer.

Id start from scratch rather than using software to port everything over as you likely have a fair bit of junk installed over the years and could be the reason for the slowdown

My Ride
    rally pig

Gotcha, will wait it out. I was looking up benchmarks and the AMD chips are on a rip, great to see them back in the game. Surprised Intel let them catch up given how large their lead was for what felt like a decade.

Nice, on it!

Usually just flipping through tabs on Brave/Chrome while I have everything else open.

I'm in full boomer mode when it comes to gaming... I don't have the patience to learn any new games, if I ever have the itch I just look up whatever the newest Civilization game is, buy it, play it like it's my full time job for 2-3 days, uninstall, wait for the itch to come back anywhere from 1-3 years later
    I know what you mean, I installed Rise of Nations and played one round then uninstalled the game right after
    Dont want to install Civilization games as otherwise I can be playing for a couple of hours haha.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

I'm in the same boat. Every so often, I get small glitches where I am waiting for something to "catch up." I nuked and paved about 3 years ago, maybe it is time to do it again.

I've been tempted to upgrade to the latest gen 10 processors. Maybe I just need an actual video card. lol.

Motherboard: Asus Z87-Pro
    CPU: i7-4770K @ 3.8GHz
    RAM: 24GB - DDR3 - 1600
    GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600

C: 850 Evo 500GB
    D: 840
    E: WD 1TB 7200rpm

I had fleeting thoughts of going AMD, but I feel like that would be the same as switching to Android. haha.

Are the latest Core i5 going to have the longevity I have had with this i7? 7 years isn't bad considering I used upgrade every 2 years before I got this one.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    I'm in the same boat. Every so often, I get small glitches where I am waiting for something to "catch up." I nuked and paved about 3 years ago, maybe it is time to do it again.

I've been tempted to upgrade to the latest gen 10 processors. Maybe I just need an actual video card. lol.

Motherboard: Asus Z87-Pro
    CPU: i7-4770K @ 3.8GHz
    RAM: 24GB - DDR3 - 1600
    GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600

C: 850 Evo 500GB
    D: 840
    E: WD 1TB 7200rpm

I had fleeting thoughts of going AMD, but I feel like that would be the same as switching to Android. haha.

Are the latest Core i5 going to have the longevity I have had with this i7? 7 years isn't bad considering I used upgrade every 2 years before I got this one.
    840/850 are pretty old ssd's might be worth running a health check utility on them and checking their remaining life cycle. The earlier drives aren't as robust as the new ones so they could just be worn out

Depending how much you want to spend a 9700k is roughly twice the power of your 4770k (7k passmark -> 14.7k) or a 9600k would still be a ~30-40% upgrade in power (7k passmark -> 10k)

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compar...00K/1537vs4031
    Last edited by pheoxs; 05-07-2020 at 09:49 AM.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

I love the Crucial MX500 SSD's.

So much bang for buck.

My Ride

Strictly my opinion only - i've set up about 30-40 new SSDs in the last 7 years.

Intel SSDs are by far, the most reliable out there. I am having to RMA Samsung, WD devices on a regular basis. Also, these drives will require more frequent CHKDSK operations as they age (more than HDDs do).

I am seeing a lot of Windows-related issues and glitches if they are not maintained this way.

My Ride
    teslo murdel free

Get the new 3300x what a powerhouse for $120usd - equivalent to a 7700k for 1/3 the price

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Strictly my opinion only - i've set up about 30-40 new SSDs in the last 7 years.

Intel SSDs are by far, the most reliable out there. I am having to RMA Samsung, WD devices on a regular basis. Also, these drives will require more frequent CHKDSK operations as they age (more than HDDs do).

I am seeing a lot of Windows-related issues and glitches if they are not maintained this way.
    How do you maintain an SSD? Mine is coming on 3 years without a reformat/etc. so it's probably time...

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

interesting. I switched to Samsung because I had to RMA 3 different intel SSDs. I have one in my homeserver and the other two are sitting in a box.

My Ride

I've yet to have an Intel SSD fail, and have some units that are approaching 4 years in a high intensity read/write enviro.

With SSDs, maintenance (sounds odd) is required occasionally.

I typically run a combination of CHKDSK, DISM and then SFC commands on a system.

I then consult Windows EVENT viewer and see if anything off was found with CHKDSK, and rerun until the issues have been fixed. I also check for firmware updates from the OEM as well.

With most SSDs, this wakes about 30 minutes total time. I try to avoid downtime in advance.
    Last edited by revelations; 05-07-2020 at 11:56 AM.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

10th gen processors are up for pre-order on Memex

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Brand/...top.Offer.aspx

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    10th gen processors are up for pre-order on Memex

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Brand/...top.Offer.aspx
    Its pretty nuts that stock processors can boost a single core up to 5.3 ghz nowadays.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast