Quantcast
Been out of the PC build game for years, what mobo/cpu/ram path to take from here? - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Been out of the PC build game for years, what mobo/cpu/ram path to take from here?

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

It's kinda funny how computers are the opposite of real estate. It's always a good time to buy a house (as told by realtors) meanwhile its never a good time to buy a computer because there is always X coming out next fall or Y coming out next spring.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So after doing some reading, I am convince to switch out of the Intel camp as the 10th gens seem to be 8th gens with new numbers.

I was thinking that a 3600 (non X) is the best bang for the buck, but then I am aware that Zen 3 will be released in the next 6 months.

Wanting to do some video editing and I think I might be able to run my 4770K and simply get a decent video card to run Davinci. Then look at the lay of the land once Zen 3 is released.

WWYD? haha
    Wait until the Zen 3 comes out and then buy the 3600 cheaper

Ehhh, by the time Zen 3 comes out, then the next big thing will be 6 months away after that. And then the next big thing after that will be 6 months away and so on. I learned a long time ago not to chase technology cause it's just gonna keep getting better and you'll never be satisfied.

Despite what people will have you believe, current technology doesn't become obsolete when the next thing comes out. And how much of a difference is it really going to make? Sure when you compare charts and graphs all day, there's an obvious difference but in real life scenarios, it's not like comparing instant rendering to waiting 2 hours.

If you need something now, just get the 3600. It's no slouch and like you said, good bang for the buck. If not, wait until the Zen 3 comes out and go through this whole exercise again. There's a new Zen processor released every year.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

I agree. It's not like those dangling balls are going to be looping any smoother from Zen 3 to Zen 4.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post
    I agree. It's not like those dangling balls are going to be looping any smoother from Zen 3 to Zen 4.
    You gotta wait for Zen 5 for that.

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    Not at all - because you are not running a vacuum cleaner of a PC, these open case units collect MUCH less dust inside as an equal unit with many fans struggling to move air out of an enclosed box at all times.

Side note, if you put any PC on a floor in a room without any carpets (eg. hardwood, lino) - it will become a dust magnet due to the electrostatic charge alone and our dry climate makes it worse.
    That will only happen if you buy a cheap case, then you're right it will get packed with dust.

A good case will have almost zero dust in it even on hard floors. I have dust filters on all of my intakes and there is virtually zero dust inside. You do need to clean off the filters occasionally but that only takes a minute, and at least it is never going inside.

I opened up my case for the first time in about a year the other day to put in another HDD and there was almost zero dust - if I put it in the light and hit it with compressed air I could see a bit, but to the naked eye it looked pretty well perfect. I have good fans but they don't struggle or anything.

The other nice thing about "sealed" cases is they can be made almost completely silent.

The open cases look really cool but it's easier to clean a few dust filters than an entire PC in my experience. Just depends what aesthetic you're after. If you use compressed air neither are too bad though.

My Ride
    Lariat 2.7 & StreetTriple R

Yeah for the record I dont keep my case on the floor either, was just curious about dust etc collection

My Ride
    Silverado

So I'm trying to play warzone and my 8 year old build is starting to show its age. Ideally, I'd like to get another year out of it for ganing, and its still a great work station.

i5 3570k
    8gb ram
    HD 7850
    850w psu

I know my video card is for sure the weak link so I'm hoping if I replace it can play warzone at a good fps with low graphics, but id also like to try rdr2, doom, and definitely diablo 4 when it comes out .

I could also add ram and cooling to overclock the cpu.

For a video card im thinking of a 580 or I could possibly stretch to a 1660s.

Thoughts?

My Ride
    rally pig

So after doing some reading, I am convince to switch out of the Intel camp as the 10th gens seem to be 8th gens with new numbers.

I was thinking that a 3600 (non X) is the best bang for the buck, but then I am aware that Zen 3 will be released in the next 6 months.

Wanting to do some video editing and I think I might be able to run my 4770K and simply get a decent video card to run Davinci. Then look at the lay of the land once Zen 3 is released.

WWYD? haha
    Like what others have said if you can wait Zen 3 should be coming out later this (most likely Q4) otherwise Ryzen 3600 is definitely the best bang for the buck for most people and should be good for 3-5 years.

B550 chipset motherboards are supposed to come out mid June, maybe wait for that or go with a B450 motherboard right now.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    So I'm trying to play warzone and my 8 year old build is starting to show its age. Ideally, I'd like to get another year out of it for ganing, and its still a great work station.

i5 3570k
    8gb ram
    HD 7850
    850w psu

I know my video card is for sure the weak link so I'm hoping if I replace it can play warzone at a good fps with low graphics, but id also like to try rdr2, doom, and definitely diablo 4 when it comes out .

I could also add ram and cooling to overclock the cpu.

For a video card im thinking of a 580 or I could possibly stretch to a 1660s.

Thoughts?
    buy a used 1060 if you are going to play 1080p or 1660 if 1440p in medium/high quality.
    upgrade the RAM too to 16GB (cheap a now a days)

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Quote Originally Posted by taemo View Post
    Like what others have said if you can wait Zen 3 should be coming out later this (most likely Q4) otherwise Ryzen 3600 is definitely the best bang for the buck for most people and should be good for 3-5 years.

B550 chipset motherboards are supposed to come out mid June, maybe wait for that or go with a B450 motherboard right now.
    I was thinking X570. Was looking at the TUF GAMING X570-PLUS if it ever comes into stock.

My thought is now to get a 3600 to putz around and then when Ryzen 3 is release, upgrade later in the year.

My Ride
    rally pig

I was thinking X570. Was looking at the TUF GAMING X570-PLUS if it ever comes into stock.

My thought is now to get a 3600 to putz around and then when Ryzen 3 is release, upgrade later in the year.
    I was initially planning on getting the Asus Prime X570-P (it was 20$ off last week) but decided to go with the Gigabyte X570 Auros Elite instead and happy with it.
    You can't go with either one. I would have gone Asus TUF Gaming too if they had it in stock TBH.

If you still haven't upgraded mid June, look for the B550 chipset or the MSI X570 Tomahawk (if out) as this motherboard fares to twice its price.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

I was initially planning on getting the Asus Prime X570-P (it was 20$ off last week) but decided to go with the Gigabyte X570 Auros Elite instead and happy with it.
    You can't go with either one. I would have gone Asus TUF Gaming too if they had it in stock TBH.

If you still haven't upgraded mid June, look for the B550 chipset or the MSI X570 Tomahawk (if out) as this motherboard fares to twice its price.
    Was just looking at the Auros. Looks like only 5 in stock left at memex. The MSI is only 3-4 weeks away. Could probably wait for that.

Unless you're going really high end, the two mid-tier X570 boards worth buying right now are the Asus TUF and Gigabyte Aorus Elite. As I mentioned earlier, the main difference between the two is the Gigabyte has a slightly better LAN controller (Intel vs Realtek). VRMs are good on both and feature set is very similar. Also note most X570 boards have a chipset fan if that bothers you, but it shouldn't run often.

My Ride
    rally pig

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Unless you're going really high end, the two mid-tier X570 boards worth buying right now are the Asus TUF and Gigabyte Aorus Elite. As I mentioned earlier, the main difference between the two is the Gigabyte has a slightly better LAN controller (Intel vs Realtek). VRMs are good on both and feature set is very similar. Also note most X570 boards have a chipset fan if that bothers you, but it shouldn't run often.
    Intel vs Realtek LAN is most likely not going to matter for most users unless you are trying to squeeze as much gain as you can. If there's any for that matter.
    I only went Gigabyte because it was the one in stock and has NVME heatsink on the top

Regarding the chipset fan, I rarely see it spinning. The one time I saw it spinning I wasn't even doing anything haha.

My Ride
    Silverado

buy a used 1060 if you are going to play 1080p or 1660 if 1440p in medium/high quality.
    upgrade the RAM too to 16GB (cheap a now a days)
    Is there a way to tell if these cards have been mined with? Is that something I should worry about?

Thanks!

Intel vs Realtek LAN is most likely not going to matter for most users unless you are trying to squeeze as much gain as you can. If there's any for that matter.
    I only went Gigabyte because it was the one in stock and has NVME heatsink on the top

Regarding the chipset fan, I rarely see it spinning. The one time I saw it spinning I wasn't even doing anything haha.
    Intel LAN is more reliable with less problems, it's not a speed issue. Almost every mobo has had gigabit LAN for ages now. You may never have an issue with either but Intel is the better product.

The Asus TUF board also has a M.2 heatsink.

And yeah the chipset fans did not turn out to be nearly the issue some people thought they would be when X570 was announced.

- - - Updated - - -

Is there a way to tell if these cards have been mined with? Is that something I should worry about?

Thanks!
    Only way to know for sure is not buy used, lots of people lie about what the cards were used for. Mining is hard on cards and I wouldn't want to buy a card that has been used for it but YMMV.

To determine what GPU you need for COD Warzone you need to know the resolution, desired settings (low, ultra, etc.) and refresh rate (monitor Hz) that you want to use. For example 1440p on medium settings at 60fps can be very different than 1440p on high settings at 144 fps in terms of GPU power required. As a reference point, 1440P and high settings on a RTX 2060 will give you around 90 FPS for Warzone - more than enough for 60Hz, not nearly enough for 144+ Hz.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 05-25-2020 at 10:19 AM.

My Ride
    Silverado

right now my setup gets about 30 fps on minimum settings. I am looking for 60 fps at 1080p (60 Hz monitor) on minimum graphics just so I can play casually with some buddies. Hoping a newer card will last me until the next generation consoles come out, or until I bite the bullet and build a 4k gaming rig.
    Last edited by dirtsniffer; 05-25-2020 at 10:36 AM.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Speaking of Vid Cards, is there any reason I can't get a 2060 Super and run it with my 4770K? I'm wanting to do some editing. When I finally upgrade the system, I'll just move it to the new one.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Thanks!
    I used to think when buying a used GPU you were better off staying away from ones that were mined with, but after doing some research I came to the conclusion it's nothing to worry about any more than a GPU that hasn't been mined with. Miners who know what they're doing tend to undervolt and underclock their GPUs, keep them well cooled, and the loads put on them are consistent not like high highs and low lows you'd get while gaming. It's not in the interest of a miner to keep burning out their GPUs cause they'll have to waste money replacing them all the time.

I bought a mined GPU last month at half the price what everyone else was selling theirs for and the guy was really thorough with showing me there wasn't anything wrong with the card. Took it home and put fresh thermal compound on it and it has been working great. If the seller is trustworthy, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another mined GPU if it came down to it if it were cheap.

Speaking of Vid Cards, is there any reason I can't get a 2060 Super and run it with my 4770K? I'm wanting to do some editing. When I finally upgrade the system, I'll just move it to the new one.
    Nope, you will be just fine. It will be plug and play, but I suggest using the Geforce Experience app to do a clean driver install.

Just make sure you have the appropriate power connectors available from your PSU to the new GPU (if different from your existing GPU). This can vary with GPU manufacturer (ASUS, EVGA, etc.)
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 05-25-2020 at 11:25 AM.

right now my setup gets about 30 fps on minimum settings. I am looking for 60 fps at 1080p (60 Hz monitor) on minimum graphics just so I can play casually with some buddies. Hoping a newer card will last me until the next generation consoles come out, or until I bite the bullet and build a 4k gaming rig.
    If all you need is 1080p & 60fps with low settings, then a GTX 1060 (6GB) or above will do the trick provided your CPU is not the bottleneck which it shouldn't be with a 3570k.

That game recommends 12GB of system RAM so you might want to just grab a 16GB kit which are dirt cheap right now but it will still run on 8.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 05-25-2020 at 11:32 AM.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast